March 28, 2024, 12:39:55 PM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Speedrunning

Started by Samus Aran, July 27, 2018, 08:49:02 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

Anyone here interested in speedrunning, either doing it yourself or watching speedruns?

It's something I've been mildly obsessed with lately. It all started when I discovered a Youtuber by the name of Summoning Salt. He's well-known in the speedrunning community for holding records in Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, but he also posts really cool documentary-style videos on the progression of speedrun world records in various games. I was immediately hooked on his content. Here's the first one I watched, it's really well-made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y99Wj-NStok

Anyway, I eventually watched his Super Metroid one, and that got me very interested in attempting runs of that game. For one thing, it's my favorite game of all time, and for another I was already somewhat knowledgeable about various sequence breaking exploits in the game. Thus far, I've managed to get down to 1hr36min in the any% category. Which is not anywhere near great, but I'm making progress. Last night I did nothing but practice speedrunning the Draygon fight for like two hours lmao. And I've got it down really well now, I think my current skill level on fighting him could shave off at least three minutes from an overall run. I'm shooting for about 1hr20min on my next run. Which would still only place me at...644th on the speedrun.com board for any%. There's a ton of submissions for this game and it's super competitive.

On a related note, I've been having fun watching all of the past Super Metroid races at GDQ. They're always so brutal, Phantoon ends a lot of runs.

C.Mongler

maaaan i should but my backlog is so huge i cant be damned to play the same game over n over :(

waaay back in the day i was trying to get good at RE4 speedrunning. towards the end i could beat the game in around 2 hours playing new game +

Thyme

i'm not that invested but yeah i watch them

i love summoning salt's videos, along with EZScape's and uh... i forgot his name, something Jonas

sometimes i watch trihex on twitch

TooB

Only game I ever really attempted speedrunning was Mega Man X.

My best time doing a 100% run was around 50 minutes.

I kinda wanna try to speedrun Ninja Gaiden, if possible.

strongbad

i think speedrunning is so sick but i don't have the patience/dedication to do it
i think it'd be fun to run super mario world. i was at a party once and some dude was randomly speedrunning it and it blew my mind

Samus Aran

Quote from: antmaster5000 on July 27, 2018, 09:16:59 PMi think speedrunning is so sick but i don't have the patience/dedication to do it
i think it'd be fun to run super mario world. i was at a party once and some dude was randomly speedrunning it and it blew my mind

SMW has a fantastic sr community. On speedrun.com it's the sixth most-played game.

silvertone

*observes thread, but doesn't comment.*

Hiro

speedrunning is cool but there's no way i could ever get into it

Samus Aran

Quote from: Snowy on July 28, 2018, 01:27:06 PMLike 5 years ago I tried speedrunning Hotline Miami. It was pretty fun but you gotta REALLY love the game or you'll get bored quickly.

yeah and certain games are made more fun to speedrun by having their own really good sr communities. there are many reasons i chose super metroid, including the fact it's my favorite game ever, the fact that it's really fun to sequence break, and perhaps most importantly because the community is so large and wonderful and there are so many great runners to watch/follow

TooB

Oh my God.... I should attempt a pacifist run of Ninja Gaiden.....

strongbad

Quote from: Samus Aran on July 27, 2018, 08:49:02 PMAnyone here interested in speedrunning, either doing it yourself or watching speedruns?

It's something I've been mildly obsessed with lately. It all started when I discovered a Youtuber by the name of Summoning Salt. He's well-known in the speedrunning community for holding records in Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, but he also posts really cool documentary-style videos on the progression of speedrun world records in various games. I was immediately hooked on his content. Here's the first one I watched, it's really well-made:
Finally gave this guy a watch- very cool. Excited to watch more of his videos

Samus Aran

Well, I'm back on this bullshit again. Taking a step away from Super Metroid for a bit though, and learning a beginner's 16-star route in Mario 64. Fun as hell. Trying to shoot for sub-40 minutes for now.

I know how to do all the tricks required, I just need to work on how quickly I can do them. Mips clip, BLJ, etc. I haven't even attempted to incorporate bomb clipping or owlless, tho.

I will probably be streaming attempts at this soon!

Thyme

Samus Aran

I'm so mad. Was easily on pace for less than 35 minutes but I got repeatedly fucked a particular star in Hazy Maze Cave that I really hate

Nyerp

remember to watch for rolling rocks

Go Up