April 18, 2024, 06:43:24 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Gravity Rush 2's online service is dead

Started by bluaki, July 19, 2018, 04:25:59 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

bluaki

Some dates:
2017 Jan 20: Gravity Rush 2 released
2017 Aug 28: Sony announced it plans to end its online service in January
2018 Jan 19: Sony planned to terminate Gravity Rush 2's online service, but delayed it bc of fan backlash
2018 Jul 19: Gravity Rush 2's servers are gone for good

smh at sony for charging PSN subscriptions to keep servers up then trying to kill a $60 first-party game with decent success less than a year after launch then delaying its death only another half-year

It's now impossible to collect a lot of the content that Gravity Rush 2 used to have (outfits, furniture, power-ups), because it was locked behind boring online missions that are forever inaccessible and Sony never released a patch to enable alternate methods of obtaining that content.

TooB

Was it indeed a decent success?
I'm pretty sure the game sold pretty poorly, at least in Sony's eyes, which is sad.

At least the bonuses are just cosmetic, aside from a couple augments, and no trophies tied to them or anything.

The game can still be fully enjoyed.

But man, I weep for this series....

Kalahari Inkantation

inexcusable, nintendo-tier idiocy and disrespect for fans on sony's part

i still want to play these games but now i'll be waiting until i don't have to spend any more than a combined total of $10 for them both lol

TooB

You're gonna likely have to get the first one digitally if you want the ps4 version.

I think the physical disc is pretty pricey now

Kalahari Inkantation

bluaki

Quote from: Big Goop on July 19, 2018, 04:42:04 PM
At least the bonuses are just cosmetic, aside from a couple augments, and no trophies tied to them or anything.
I heard there's one that gives you unlimited gravity gauge?

One trophy is "Pipe Coordinator: Placed 9 types of furniture in Kat's Pipe House."
Is this still obtainable without the furniture you get from the online stuff?

TooB

Quote from: bluaki on July 19, 2018, 05:04:47 PM

One trophy is "Pipe Coordinator: Placed 9 types of furniture in Kat's Pipe House."

I think it is. Need to look into it

Nyerp

it wasn't a cinematic third-person stealth shooter so sony couldn't give less of a fuck about it. there was absolutely zero marketing for it (it didn't even get a spotlight at the e3 before it came out). it's like they wanted it to fail. imo the game wasn't even that good, but it represented a willingness to make quirky mid-shelf games that has completely died in the modern era.

remember when sony released the vita and fucked up everything about the storage costs and then just completely dropped it instead of fixing their fuck-up? remember how instead of allowing backwards compatibility on ps4 they created ps now in order to force you to pay a subscription for shitty streamed ps3 games? i love my ps4 but FUCK sony

TooB

Quote from: Big Goop on July 19, 2018, 05:08:46 PM
Quote from: bluaki on July 19, 2018, 05:04:47 PM

I think it is. Need to look into it
people are indeed saying all trophies are obtainable offline.

bluaki

Here are some other notable gaming online deaths:

2009 Oct 1: PSP Go released, a console which 100% relies on downloads from the PlayStation Store
2012: PSP releases mostly stopped; only 3 downloadable games released the entire year in North America.
2016 Feb 9: The last downloadable PSP game released: Breath of Fire III
2016 Mar 31: PSP online store closed for good, but its games remain downloadable on Vita

2005 Nov 14: Mario Kart DS releases as the first Nintendo game to have online connectivity
2012 Oct 7: Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 released as the last DS games to heavily use online services
2014 May 20: Nintendo ended all online gameplay servers for DS and Wii games

2006 Nov 19: Nintendo Wii released with Wii Shop Channel included
2013 June 6: The last download-only Wii Virtual Console game is released
2014 July 3: The last download-only WiiWare game is released
2018 Mar 26: Nintendo shut down Wii Shop Channel's ability to buy points or use credit cards, but you can still redeem points and redownload previously-purchased games
2019 Jan 31: Nintendo Wii Shop Channel closes for good

2009 Apr 5: Nintendo DSi released with an online DSiWare shop included
2016 Jan 28: The last DSiWare game released
2017 Mar 31: DSi online store closed for good, but DSiWare games remain downloadable on 3DS's eShop

I don't know much about other specific games, but I think Phantasy Star Online died pretty quickly after its North America release too. At least that one has third-party fan-hosted servers.

The move of gaming to dependence on online connectivity really is the end of archival. PSP/DSi/Wii digital libraries are preserved thanks to piracy, but most games never get working fanmade servers by their death and I think companies are deliberately trying to avoid the kind of man-in-the-middle attacks and reverse-engineering required to make one work. They definitely don't like to release server binaries or provide in-game options to change your server URL.

Nyerp

whoa......so this.......is the power.......of digital gaming......

Hiro

fuck paid online
fuck online in general

Go Up