April 18, 2024, 04:29:47 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Nintendo Switch, and the issue with its storage medium

Started by TooB, July 16, 2018, 07:44:27 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

TooB

C.Mongler

July 18, 2018, 09:33:51 AM #31 Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 09:40:13 AM by C.Mongler
Quote from: Big Goop on July 18, 2018, 09:17:38 AM
yes. hence why i said what i said

??? huh

i don't understand what you're getting at then. why would octopath have a separate download then? for your own example, it would be more work for the megaman devs to combine the game packages into one (again, they're not even doing this on other consoles). it would also be more work for the devs of octopath to partition their tiny game into a downloadable portion and an on-cart portion to save what's basically less than cents on production costs. not only that but they'd probably end up spending more on PR and community relations to negate the fan backlash for doing such a weird thing too.

from what i've heard from random dev forum pop-ins (as none of us know the actual dollars and cents of this matter as a thread-wide acknowledgement), the cost difference between the 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, and 8 GB switch carts is mostly negligible. 16 GB jumps up a tad from the 8 GB, but thus far it seems like most devs are biting the bullet om that. The 32 GB cost jump from 16 GB however is relatively massive, which is why lots of devs aren't going that route. 64 GB hasn't actually even been made available by nintendo yet.

so again, in your opinion why do you think Square should have opted for a download for a ~2.9 GB game? at that point wouldn't it just make more sense for switch to just be 100% digital anyway? should games even come in boxes if devs can/should be that concerned with production costs?

C.Mongler

also not defending the megaman devs decision to NOT do the work required to combine the packages BTW, just saying in a literal sense someone would have to spend the afternoon doing such a thing and therefore it would incur some literal decorum of "work"

for the record i think it is goofy across the board that the physical X collection is not a combo pack on any console lol

C.Mongler

on that note too: why do you think another Capcom collection, Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection, was not divided up into a downloadable segmentation?

Relative file sizes of crapcom switch collection releases:
Megaman Legacy 1 + 2: 3.5 GB
Megaman X Legacy 1 + 2: 6.8 GB
Street Fighter 30th Ann. Collection: 4.9 GB

Thyme

TooB

Oh my god, lol.

I said, I'm surprised Octopath didn't require a separate download....
Because another game that shouldn't, that being mega man, does.

Square could've cheaped out too, using too small of a cart.

I was making an exaggeration.

C.Mongler

Quote from: Big Goop on July 18, 2018, 09:51:42 AM
Square could've cheaped out too, using too small of a cart.

...but that's what i'm getting at  dittodood;. it's less of a 'cheap out' than it is a technical issue with slapping two separate packages together. a lazy technical issue? sure, probably, but it has more to do with the fact that they would have had to produce 2 switch carts, like they are producing 2 blue ray discs for the other consoles, to have them both 'on cart'. coming to that ends, yes it's inevitably an expense thing, but it started as a technical one.

if it was a pure 'cheap out' like you're framing it, then street fighter 30th would have been stripped down to a sub 4 GB cart, would it not have?

TooB

C.Mongler

boyah is for serious posts only, this is your final warning!!

TooB

C.Mongler

YPrrrr

So this is where we're posting today huh? Cool what's up guys?!

TooB

C.Mongler

i just interpret wariodood to mean that the post smells like onions

Go Up