Fact of the Day™: The 7th Generation was the best in gaming history.

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, July 16, 2018, 07:23:23 PM

previous topic - next topic

y/n

Agreed.
1 (33.3%)
Disagreed. I will elaborate below.
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Go Down

Nyerp

TooB

silvertone

TooB

bluaki

For Nintendo at least, 7th gen was probably the peak of their popularity but the actual games aren't that great compared to other gens.

DKCR was good, but Tropical Freeze really wins out. City Folk is the weakest Animal Crossing release to date. Brawl did some neat stuff but it's so divisive in the community that to this day a lot of people still stick to Melee, and those of us who did like it moved on to Smash 4 and Ultimate now. Super Paper Mario was decent, but disappointing to anyone who wanted a new game like TTYD. I doubt anybody considers Skyward Sword their favorite Zelda game. Metroid Other M is certainly a thing that exists. Despite Wii being known for party games, Mario Party 8&9 were a huge step down from the GameCube ones. Pokémon Battle Revolution is a huge step down from the N64 and GameCube Pokémon battling games. Wii had a ton of third-party support that was almost entirely trash; Trauma Center is my favorite among them. Super Mario Galaxy is probably Wii's biggest win, and I'd say Kirby's Epic Yarn holds up too. Maybe Metroid Prime 3 too idk I don't play those games.

At least DS fared better, but I'd say Gameboy's and 3DS's libraries beat it overall. Pokémon did pretty well in its 4th and 5th generations; I'm not a big fan of Sinnoh but HGSS was fantastic and BW was good too. Even the Pokémon spinoffs fared well with Mystery Dungeon. AC Wild World was good. DS's Mario & Luigi games were fairly good. Kirby had a couple great releases with Canvas Curse and Super Star Ultra, but Squeak Squad and Mass Attack were underwhelming. Zelda's DS games are some of the series's weakest. Metroid did much better on GBA. At least some third-parties did really well on DS like with Ace Attorney, Layton, Final Fantasy, and I guess Sonic.

I have a PS3 too but tbh I didn't play it nearly as much as I've been playing my PS4. PS4 had a slow start but imo it's now a lot better than PS3 was for stuff like RPGs (and PS2 was too). Most PS3 fans would probably say I missed out a lot by never playing games like TLOU or Uncharted. There aren't really any PSP games I care about either even though I like a fair number of Vita ones.

I pretty much completely ignore the Xbox family so I can't say much about 360. At least Tales of Vesperia is finally coming to PS4/PC/Switch now.

don't let's

Quote from: Thyme on July 17, 2018, 06:05:52 PM
Quote from: donĘĽt letĘĽs on July 17, 2018, 05:58:20 PM
Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 16, 2018, 07:46:32 PM
Quote from: Big Goop on July 16, 2018, 07:39:38 PM
What gen are we in?

8th lol

7th gen was ds/psp/360/ps3/wii
you mean the 2nd or 3rd gen? (Or whatever that whole thing was about)

lmao i’m glad that didn’t catch on
I wonder what that was even about. Why somebody would think that up.

silvertone

TooB

Kalahari Inkantation

alright succbois, let me justify myself

first, an indisputable fact: the 7th gen was BY FAR the most popular all around in terms of $ale$

the weakest console of the generation (psp) still managed to sell over 80 million units, putting it just barely behind the gba (slightly over 81 million units), which was the second-best selling console of the 6th gen

ds: 155 million
wii: 102 million
ps3: 87 million
xbox 360: 86 million
psp: 81 million

total: ~510 million units (note: rounding error)

over half a billion console sales

every single console did remarkably well, and the 7th gen is the only generation in which that's even close to true lol

meanwhile, this generation (8th), the only platform that's likely to surpass last generation's weakest (psp) is the ps4 goowan

even the 3ds is still well behind the psp, and as for the sw*tch/xbox one/wii u: LOL

bluaki

you said "best", not "best-selling" confuseddood;

also wtf how did psp sell that close to as many units as wii? it felt like it should be way below half as many. I rarely even saw mentions of it online and it always seemed to be at a neglected corner of every store I've been to.

Kalahari Inkantation

"best-selling" (by far) indicates extremely high consumer approval which is a core indicator of "best" in general girl;

that's only part one of my argument, though; i'll be fortifying it further later jackodood;

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: bluaki on July 20, 2018, 08:07:32 PM
you said "best", not "best-selling" confuseddood;

also wtf how did psp sell that close to as many units as wii? it felt like it should be way below half as many. I rarely even saw mentions of it online and it always seemed to be at a neglected corner of every store I've been to.

to be fair, it was a very good piracy machine lol goowan

that's where part of its popularity stems from, and it would explain why the psp as a gaming platform for psp games isn't nearly as popular a discussion topic as you'd expect it to be given those sales

Samus Aran

Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 20, 2018, 08:10:04 PM
"best-selling" (by far) indicates extremely high consumer approval which is a core indicator of "best" in general girl;

that's only part one of my argument, though; i'll be fortifying it further later jackodood;

i think a large part of it is just that video games are more popular these days lol

practically every big release coming out these days breaks some sort of sales record for that series or that developer

Kalahari Inkantation

Then why isn't the 8th gen even remotely on track to outpace the 7th? Why was every single 7th gen console highly successful when that had never been the case before? baddood;

Samus Aran

probably pc/steam sales helping to boost game sales despite the consoles selling considerably worse than 7th gen. cause i really feel like actual game sales are still through the roof lol

Go Up