April 18, 2024, 07:28:26 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

great boss fights

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, July 15, 2018, 07:05:11 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

TooB

Quote from: C.Mongler on July 17, 2018, 12:28:31 PM
Quote from: Big Goop on July 17, 2018, 12:13:31 PM
Don't need to convince you otherwise, when you boil a fight down to it's bare essentials.
damn nyerp u just got rektd
:(

Nyerp

i guess i don't see the appeal of bosses where you can safely do one strategy the whole time since the boss never changes its strategy either, which describes the two super metroid bosses in my post

C.Mongler

TooB

Kalahari Inkantation

oh don't worry i'll go into detail about why i like it l8r

you're right that it's not a mechanically remarkable fight though lol

Thyme

yoshi’s island had a lot of p. good ones befuddlement

actually, most of them tbh

silvertone

i liked fighting ganon in twilight princess. the sword fight

Nyerp

Quote from: SVT on July 17, 2018, 07:58:14 PM
i liked fighting ganon in twilight princess. the sword fight

same

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Thyme on July 17, 2018, 06:03:30 AM
i guess dancer of the boreal valley wasn't as memorable for me because i got her in like three or four tries as opposed to, like, fourteen like guardian gundir and sulyvahn psyduck;

dancer took me four or five tries (each more majestic than the last lubdoods;), meanwhile pope sully and champ gundyr took me one attempt each lol sillydood;

so perhaps i didn't feel the force of their greatness as bosses to the full extent (esp. sully, although i don't mean to imply that it wasn't a fun fight)

i will say though, champ gundyr left an impression of absolutely rad even in as little as one fight:

[spoiler=dork soul 3][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFcKdDvKyDw[/youtube][/spoiler]

both sully and champ gundyr left me with 0 estus and just one or two hits from failure lol sillydood;

[spoiler]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0HICwLnRGI[/youtube][/spoiler]

silvertone

Samus Aran

Quote from: Nyerp on July 17, 2018, 12:50:30 PM
i guess i don't see the appeal of bosses where you can safely do one strategy the whole time since the boss never changes its strategy either, which describes the two super metroid bosses in my post

that's fair enough, but i mentioned crocomire and mother brain both for story/presentation reasons and not so much for whether the fight itself is all that varied

Nyerp

yeah, i agree that the mother brain fight is an awesome moment (probably the best in the game) but i wouldn't call it a great boss fight. bUt ThAt'S jUsT mE!!!!!!!!!

Kalahari Inkantation

>looking for gameplay clips of literally any game
>some begins yapping immediately

jesus FREAKING christ

anyway, before i forget:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_dJY7_LxhE[/youtube]

Kalahari Inkantation

August 26, 2018, 02:43:04 AM #43 Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 02:49:59 AM by Magyarorszag
Quote from: Nyerp on July 17, 2018, 11:57:43 AM
Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 16, 2018, 08:53:49 PMsuper metroid's mother brain is simply the best

[spoiler=super metroid][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFz3aF1kw5k[/youtube][/spoiler]

you just shoot missiles at her over and over again while occasionally jumping

it's true that there is hardly anything noteworthy about mother brain strategy-wise, but what's truly outstanding about that fight is the ~presentation~

you have no idea what to expect after breaking it out of its vat, and then all of a sudden after a few suspenseful seconds dramatically freaky music starts playing, this giant alien creature slowly arises from the ground, and it opens its eyes and shrieks at you

the sort of casual way in which it attacks you suggests it hardly sees you as a threat at all, just an annoying pest

even consecutively spamming your post powerful missiles at mother brain barely makes it flinch and is never enough to bring its attacks to pause or break its focus

and you really are just an annoying pest, because once mother brain gets bored of toying with you it makes it patently clear by hitting you with that inescapable beam that you never stood a chance and that death is imminent

only after the metroid comes in to help and you're bestowed with the very weapon that would have killed you does mother brain begin to show animalistic fear lol

all of a sudden mother brain has become the annoying pest who doesn't stand a chance, and it knows that and begins getting erratic and frantic and starts shreiking again before finally perishing

It's just such a cool sequence. :'(

when i made thread i wasn't necessarily talking about literal fighting mechanics alone lol

mechanically unremarkable boss fights with excellent presentation can still potentially be great boss fights

Kalahari Inkantation

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ08RfswLkQ[/youtube]

this fight has an even less remarkable strategy, but again cool presentation lol

Go Up