April 16, 2024, 01:37:21 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

great boss fights

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, July 15, 2018, 07:05:11 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Mando Pandango

The whole Metroid Prime 1 and 2 both had a ton of great boss fights. I need to replay those games soon. Damn.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Kalahari Inkantation

July 16, 2018, 07:44:00 PM #16 Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 08:47:11 PM by Magyarorszag
Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 15, 2018, 07:49:03 PM
[spoiler=dark souls 3][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ21JRZKSK4[/youtube][/spoiler]

my waifu

i can't resist the urge to go into detail about what makes this fight so great

• the stylish intro

• fight begins in the darkness, but visibility gradually increases as her weapons themselves hit walls and columns and light the cathedral interior ablaze

• the creepy slow hunched stalking of the player character around the room

• her loud footsteps generally match the tempo of the music and add a neat percussive element

• the graceful sinuous animations

• the flowing of the veil

• the rad spin attack that does an especially good job at showing the above off

• the way her own animations suggest that she's actually quite weak, she seems to struggle to stand upright for the attacks that require her to be stood upright, and then immediately collapses back into that hunched position lol (see from 2:30 - 2:40 for clear examples)

• also way she wields and weightily swings those weapons furthermore suggests they're a little heavy for her/she's too weak to wield them efficiently, yet she still manages to fuck; you up in spite of her feebleness

simply brilliant presentation all around, it's just such a mesmerizing visual marvel of a fight

and absolutely top-notch waifu material, she's just so frail and cute giggle;

a+ boss design fromsoft

probably my favorite fight in the game, and possibly my favorite in souls overall

TooB

Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 16, 2018, 07:44:00 PM
Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 15, 2018, 07:49:03 PM
[spoiler=dark souls 3][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ21JRZKSK4[/youtube][/spoiler]

my waifu

i can't resist the urge to go into detail about what makes this fight so great

• the stylish intro

• fight begins in the darkness, but visibility gradually increases as her weapons themselves hit the walls and columns and light the cathedral interior ablaze

• the creepy slow hunched stalking of the player character around the room

• her loud footsteps (usually) match the tempo of the music and add a neat percussive element

• the graceful sinuous animations

• the flowing of the veil

• the rad spin attack that does an especially good job at showing the above off

• the way her own animations suggest that she's actually quite weak, she seems to struggle to stand upright for the attacks that require her to be stood upright, and then immediately goes back to that hunched position lol (see from 2:30 - 2:40 for clear examples)

• also way she wields and weightily swings those weapons furthermore suggests they're a little heavy for her

simply brilliant presentation all around, it's just such a mesmerizing visual marvel of a fight

and absolutely top-notch waifu material

a+ boss design fromsoft
and the weapons and armor set kick ass too. You get the same veil for yourself.

Role-playing as the dancer in subsequent plays is a lot of fun

Samus Aran

Quote from: Nyerp on July 16, 2018, 02:40:46 PM
quadraxis from metroid prime 2

quadraxis LOOKS cool as fuck and there's a real spectacle in just how big he is but he's kinda boring to fight imo?? i was actually trying to figure out what metroid boss is my favorite when i posted in this thread last night, and ultimately couldn't decide.

i might just give it to mother brain from super metroid just because of how fucking amazingly well it's made as far as story cinematic quality goes (the callback to metroid 1 initially, the sudden transformation into a big monster, THE BABY METROID, the Crateria theme suddenly coming in and playing while you're blasting MB with the hyper beam thingy, GOD this ending is good)

i think meta ridley in prime 1 might be the funnest boss in the franchise to actually fight

Samus Aran

Quote from: interpolhezbollahyakuza on July 16, 2018, 02:49:20 PM
The whole Metroid Prime 1 and 2 both had a ton of great boss fights. I need to replay those games soon. Damn.

Super, Prime 1, Prime 2, and Fusion all have some pretty incredible bosses. very hard to choose

Kalahari Inkantation

super metroid's mother brain is simply the best

[spoiler=super metroid][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFz3aF1kw5k[/youtube][/spoiler]

TooB

I think I'd give it to Phantoon actually, in super.
But it's damn close

Samus Aran

Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 16, 2018, 08:53:49 PM

[spoiler=super metroid][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFz3aF1kw5k[/youtube][/spoiler]

super metroid literally does the "use opening theme in ending climax" anime trope

ME##

Quote from: Nyerp on July 16, 2018, 02:40:46 PM
quadraxis from metroid prime 2

father balder and jubileus from bayonetta

ninetails from okami

mr. freeze from arkham city

there's some non-souls choices :|
thank you  giggle;

Thyme

i guess dancer of the boreal valley wasn't as memorable for me because i got her in like three or four tries as opposed to, like, fourteen like guardian gundir and sulyvahn psyduck;

Samus Aran

ok geeking out about super metroid again but HOW BOUT THAT CROCOMIRE

C.Mongler

Avion (colossus 5) from SotC is a goodASS boss fight. the feeling you get when you hop onto one of them flappers for the first time, OOO BABY

Phalanx (colossus 13) is a close second, but IMO he has a bit more annoying bullshit that can trip up the fight's pacing if you git fuk'd

uhhhhhhhhhhh riftworm from gears 2???

Nyerp

pleb confession: i have a hard time thinking of any boss fights from 2D games that i would consider "great" befuddlement

Quote from: Rin Hoshizora on July 17, 2018, 11:17:00 AM
ok geeking out about super metroid again but HOW BOUT THAT CROCOMIRE

you just shoot missiles into his mouth over and over again

Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 16, 2018, 08:53:49 PM

you just shoot missiles at her over and over again while occasionally jumping

i fought at least 100 bosses in the mega man series over the last year but they all just felt like "which weapon do i use?" puzzles and then you melt them instantly

please convince me otherwise befuddlement

TooB

Don't need to convince you otherwise, when you boil a fight down to it's bare essentials.

C.Mongler

Quote from: Big Goop on July 17, 2018, 12:13:31 PM
Don't need to convince you otherwise, when you boil a fight down to it's bare essentials.
damn nyerp u just got rektd

Go Up