March 28, 2024, 01:35:44 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Human Initiated Cloning

Started by don't let's, July 13, 2018, 12:49:12 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

don't let's

Should I clone my hard drive onto my new one or just use the new one as a secondary drive to install all my games on?

Kalahari Inkantation

depends on the size and specs of the new drive vs. the old tbh

don't let's

July 13, 2018, 02:36:35 PM #2 Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 02:52:10 PM by don?t let?s
Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 13, 2018, 01:36:46 PM
depends on the size and specs of the new drive vs. the old tbh
the old one's 1tb, the new one is 2tb. They're both 64mb cache 7200 rpm WD drives.

I was gonna clone, but then I thought it might be easier not to.

Kalahari Inkantation

then i guess it depends on how you prefer to organize things

i personally don't like having to deal with more drives than necessary, unless each has a designated purpose (eg. this is specifically my game drive, this is specifically my os drive, etc.), and even in that case it would be way more convenient to have just one large one since so many programs are extremely picky about where they want to be installed

on the other hand, you probably don't want to just toss aside a whole terabyte either lol

don't let's

Normally I don't like things so split up, so the initial plan was just to clone over to the 2tb drive and wipe the 1tb and use that as a secondary storage for whatever whenever I might need it. But I've also gotten used to having things split up because I have a few external drives and some flash drives. And since it seems easy enough to move my steam and gog games folders, I'm probably just going to not clone (unless cloning truly is the better option) and move all my games to the 2tb drive and make that a game/media drive. Which would free up about 550gb off my 1tb drive.

Go Up