April 18, 2024, 06:58:17 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

I feel like I’m in a rut with video games

Started by ME##, July 08, 2018, 04:22:58 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

ME##

I have games I haven’t finished but I just don’t touch them and if I do I make no verifiable progress in them and give up on them for months on end.   Whenever I do pick up a game it’s either a game with no true ending (Animal Crossing/Football Manager) or a game I’ve played to death a million times over (GTAV).  :|  Like I watched the boyfriend play Uncharted 1-4 and it made me want to get out of this funk with video games in general.  I’m hoping The Last of Us Part II and Red Dead Redemption 2 help me get out of it and what not but I’m not 100% sure it will.  Has anyone else gone through this and how did you get over it?  I’m going to be really bummed if I’m completely uninterested in my one hobby lol  akudood;

FAMY2

I have lots of unfinished games. I usually hit a part I get stuck on and give up. I got an x-box to see if that helped and it didn't. I went back and played some really old games and that helped. Donkey Kong 64 and some of the old Mario games.

YPrrrr

Yeah i honestly thought maybe I had outgrown games or something until last year when so many good games came out.

You just need to find that game you cant put down but i dont really have any tips for how to find that

TooB

It comes and goes for me. Sometimes I get really into a game right away, sometimes it takes a bit more of an effort, and others, I feel completely uninterested to play anything.

Nyerp

take a break from massive open world and/or cinematic AAA games and try some shorter indies or older games maybe?

don't let's

YPrrrr

Quote from: Nyerp on July 08, 2018, 05:07:57 PM
take a break from massive open world and/or cinematic AAA games and try some shorter indies or older games maybe?
This is a good tip. Actually beating a game gives you the motivation to go on to others. I think Undertale is probably the game that broke my rut

ME##

tbh I might do this lol

Maybe I’ll try another LoZ game lmao.  Hopefully it won’t take me years to beat it smithicide;

Kalahari Inkantation

i might go with something shorter than that, lol

the (good) zeldas are neither brief nor easy, excluding minish cap

you might want something with highly concentrated levels of fun

Samus Aran

this is my tip as well. beating really short games helps motivate me to keep up with my backlog, but you don't have to be as anal as me about it. for you, beating short games could simply help you get more into playing games in general again.

Samus Aran

another tip: immerse yourself in things ABOUT games. post a bunch on here about ur favorite games. watch youtube videos about them. listen to music from them.

yet another tip: replay your old favorites without worrying so much about playing new games

Go Up