March 28, 2024, 10:36:26 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

What makes Zelda not an (action-)RPG?

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, July 03, 2018, 07:45:04 PM

previous topic - next topic

Is Zelda an RPG in any sense of the term? y/n

Yes
2 (66.7%)
No
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Go Down

TooB

in my specific general definition of an rpg, most jrpgs wouldn't technically count lol

Kalahari Inkantation

Well, good thing Dark Souls isn't a JRPG at all. girl;

TooB

Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 03, 2018, 11:06:48 PM
Well, good thing Dark Souls isn't a JRPG at all. girl;
well, by the same merits, dark souls would count just fine

FAMY2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_mechanics#Role-playing

Role-playing
Role-playing games often rely on mechanics that determine the effectiveness of in-game actions by how well the player acts out the role of a fictional character. While early role-playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons relied heavily on either group consensus or the judgement of a single player (deemed the Dungeon Master or Game Master) or on randomizers such as dice, later generations of narrativist games use more structured and integrated systems to allow role-playing to influence the creative input and output of the players, so both acting out roles and employing rules take part in shaping the gameplay.

So does this mean according to wikipedia that your choices as Link shapes the outcome of the game? I always thought of Zelda as an rpg.

YPrrrr

I dunno Zelda never gives me the sense that I am the character. The character is its own unique entity onto which I have no real imprint. Link is a defined character on a fairly linear path with established history and lore. I wouldn't consider God of War an RPG and the most recent game is probably more RPG-like than BotW

Nyerp

Kalahari Inkantation

lol

But it's true. srsly

zelda is babby's first soulslike

Samus Aran

Quote from: YPargh on July 04, 2018, 07:01:06 AM
I dunno Zelda never gives me the sense that I am the character.

to be fair though, lots of traditional RPGs don't either. the idea of main characters designed for the player to project themselves onto is...well, it's antiquated and not actually that common past the 16-bit era

YPrrrr

Quote from: Rin Hoshizora on July 04, 2018, 12:25:00 PM
Quote from: YPargh on July 04, 2018, 07:01:06 AM
I dunno Zelda never gives me the sense that I am the character.

to be fair though, lots of traditional RPGs don't either. the idea of main characters designed for the player to project themselves onto is...well, it's antiquated and not actually that common past the 16-bit era
I supposeeeee.

It's like sports to me i couldnt give you a definition of what is and what isn't but i know it when i see it  n_u

Kalahari Inkantation

YPrrrr

Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 04, 2018, 12:51:46 PM
What makes Madden not an RPG? befuddlement
Honestly the mode where you create a player and go through their career practicing to increase stats and answering media questions to create a reputation for your player makes Madden more of an RPG than Zelda to me sillydood;

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: YPargh on July 04, 2018, 02:59:05 PM
Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 04, 2018, 12:51:46 PM
What makes Madden not an RPG? befuddlement
Honestly the mode where you create a player and go through their career practicing to increase stats and answering media questions to create a reputation for your player makes Madden more of an RPG than Zelda to me sillydood;

I agree. goowan

nonetheless, i would still argue that zelda:rpg::precalculus:calculus

Nyerp

precalculus isn't calculus though

did you just admit that zelda isn't an rpg befuddlement

Kalahari Inkantation

doesn't precalc often include an intro to derivatives and other core calc concepts near the end of the course though lol (although i guess that might be institution and maybe even instructor-dependent) befuddlement

it's only calculus in the most superficial sense, but because it can include basic derivatives, it's still calculus

Nyerp

i took 2 separate precalc classes (one in high school and one in college) and neither of them ever introduced actual calculus so yeah i guess it might vary by institution or region befuddlement

damn i just got btfo befuddlement

Go Up