i lol'd but i said openly :|

and mario is probably as heteronormative as a video game can be lol

YPrrrr

Quote from: Magyarorszag on June 12, 2018, 03:34:25 AM
wife is strange

gone home

both met with critical acclaim

i'm sure there are others i'm missing
Are those popular games though (popular amongst who may be a better question)

Never heard of life is strange. Gone home is just an indie game

Kalahari Inkantation

wife is strange is extremely popular lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Is_Strange#Sales

and in any case, it and gone home are far more popular than they would have been had they featured gay male protags

YPrrrr

Huh I guess that's popular enough. Surprised I never heard about it. But then again I'm pretty good at ignoring weird games.

But yeah gay is still way more taboo than lesbianism so makes sense. Majority of target audience is way more cool with being a chick that makes out with a chick

YPrrrr

I am surprised I can't even find like a shitty steam title with a gay main character though

bluaki

Quote from: Magyarorszag on June 12, 2018, 03:46:13 AM

and in any case, it and gone home are far more popular than they would have been had they featured gay male protags
Life is Strange is at least popular enough that it was featured at E3 and it's published by Square Enix. The lesbian romance is technically optional and depending on the player's choices. Choosing the no-homo options (which are admittedly unpopular according to the online metrics the game shows at the end) they're just friends and that "romance" is at most just subtext.

And if you're including optional homosexuality, that means other games like Fire Emblem Fates and Mass Effect count, right?

Quote from: YPargh on June 12, 2018, 03:52:00 AM
I am surprised I can't even find like a shitty steam title with a gay main character though
You're clearly not looking hard enough. I've heard of plenty.

The first one that comes to mind for me is Dream Daddy. There's plenty of BL in visual novels, not as much in other genres.

YPrrrr

Quote from: bluaki on June 12, 2018, 05:37:10 AM
Quote from: Magyarorszag on June 12, 2018, 03:46:13 AM

Life is Strange is at least popular enough that it was featured at E3 and it's published by Square Enix. The lesbian romance is technically optional and depending on the player's choices. Choosing the no-homo options (which are admittedly unpopular according to the online metrics the game shows at the end) they're just friends and that "romance" is at most just subtext.

And if you're including optional homosexuality, that means other games like Fire Emblem Fates and Mass Effect count, right?

Quote from: YPargh on June 12, 2018, 03:52:00 AM
You're clearly not looking hard enough. I've heard of plenty.

The first one that comes to mind for me is Dream Daddy. There's plenty of BL in visual novels, not as much in other genres.
Isn't that a dating sim? I wouldn't even consider there to be a protagonist in those games because the character is basically the player. Aside from visual novels barely being games in the first place

But yeah I only did a Google search and couldn't find any examples of a gay lead character which wasn't optional (only lesbians like Tec said) but I'm sure there has to be something obscure out there.

bluaki

Quote from: YPargh on June 12, 2018, 03:50:42 AM
But yeah gay is still way more taboo than lesbianism so makes sense. Majority of target audience is way more cool with being a chick that makes out with a chick
I feel like Life is Strange might not be a great example for that, actually. I get the impression it has an exceptionally high proportion of female players. The romance isn't really portrayed in a way that seems clearly male-oriented like a lot of other lesbian content is.

Quote from: YPargh on June 12, 2018, 05:43:31 AM
Isn't that a dating sim? I wouldn't even consider there to be a protagonist in those games because the character is basically the player. Aside from visual novels barely being games in the first place

But yeah I only did a Google search and couldn't find any examples of a gay lead character which wasn't optional (only lesbians like Tec said) but I'm sure there has to be something obscure out there.
Yes, it is. I'm sure there are indie gay games in other genres out there, but I'm not familiar with any since I don't keep that much track of indie stuff and on top of that my interests are more in the yuri direction.

If visual novels are "barely games in the first place" I feel like the same should apply to a Telltale-style walking simulator game like Life is Strange, right?

YPrrrr

Quote from: bluaki on June 12, 2018, 05:52:10 AM
Quote from: YPargh on June 12, 2018, 03:50:42 AM
I feel like Life is Strange might not be a great example for that, actually. I get the impression it has an exceptionally high proportion of female players. The romance isn't really portrayed in a way that seems clearly male-oriented like a lot of other lesbian content is.

Quote from: YPargh on June 12, 2018, 05:43:31 AM

Yes, it is. I'm sure there are indie gay games in other genres out there, but I'm not familiar with any since I don't keep that much track of indie stuff and on top of that my interests are more in the yuri direction.

If visual novels are "barely games in the first place" I feel like the same should apply to a Telltale-style walking simulator game like Life is Strange, right?
I guess the target audience still enjoys chick on chick in that case lol but yeah from a different market than I presumed  n_u That's nice that there's at least some variety out there. We'll see how TLOU handles theirs once it's expanded in 2.

I did find a couple in the "queer games" section of Steam (only 17 games listed). There seemed like there could be 3 or 4 actual games in there with a lead gay character.

Idk from my perspective those and telltale games are more like choose your own adventure books. Which can be interesting and entertaining but they don't really have any "gameplay." I could be completely off base lol but that's just how I look at them

bluaki

Quote from: YPargh on June 12, 2018, 06:03:21 AM
I did find a couple in the "queer games" section of Steam (only 17 games listed). There seemed like there could be 3 or 4 actual games in there with a lead gay character.
I heard that Steam used to have LGBT tags that were very recently removed in the past week or two, around the same time they announced the new "anything goes" (except illegal or trolling) content policy.

Daddy

Go Up