April 19, 2024, 04:10:27 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Atari thinks it can make a new console: Atari VCS

Started by bluaki, June 10, 2018, 10:03:42 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

bluaki

June 10, 2018, 10:03:42 AM Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 10:09:03 AM by bluaki
I'm kinda surprised nobody here mentioned this

[spoiler=picture][/spoiler]

It's been teased for a while, but they put up preorders and details a week or two ago on indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/atari-vcs-game-stream-connect-like-never-before-computers-pc#/

It's a smaller and less powerful system that doesn't compete with the likes of PS4/xbone in performance, but at least decently ahead of most microconsoles.

It uses a custom interface and store on top of Ubuntu with an AMD APU, 4GB RAM, 32GB SSD (and microSD slot). Releases mid 2019. It's not Steam, but you can install it. Games are digital only, with both Atari classics/remakes and newer third-party games. Atari's UI directly supports streaming services like Netflix and Hulu.

It's $200 for the console itself, $60 more for both controllers: a classic-style joystick and a modern xbox-like gamepad, both are bluetooth and rechargeable. It also supports every other controller the Linux kernel supports, which is pretty much everything that has USB or bluetooth.

Overall, I think it's a much more polished idea than steamboxes were and not quite as doomed to fail as Ouya was. A tweakable non-Android Linux console seems neat, but I'm not interested. I guess it's competitive with NUCs in price.

C.Mongler

considering they faked tempest 4k running on the thing for some reason, i have little hope for this guy

don't let's

I'd like it but I don't want to pay that kind of price for it. And I'd have to wait and see about the support for newer titles and what kind of linux gaming experience there could be in that regard.

But if it was cheaper and a retro only thing like the Nintendo classic stuff.

I was pretty excited for this, but the price was throwing me off

bluaki

Quote from: C.Mongler on June 10, 2018, 11:08:31 AM
considering they faked tempest 4k running on the thing for some reason, i have little hope for this guy
idk why people are making a big deal out of the developer saying they haven't made a Linux version

It's very common for Linux game ports to ship as a version of wine with the windows exe. The publisher can do that without contacting the original developer. The system is still in development, so even if that's not the state the game will ship in it's pretty reasonable to take the hardware, throw together an existing Windows game build they have on hand with wine, and use the results to gauge how well the system can handle modern games.

They might even install Windows on some testing units to check how well the hardware can handle not-yet-ported games, possibly as part of an evaluation to determine whether funding a proper port of that particular game is worth it or for use as a reference when comparing processor options before finalizing the hardware.

C.Mongler

it just seems like a goofy way to get a hot exclusive "running" on the console is all. like if wrapping a game in wine is the best you got it just doesn't seem like you have your shit together, at least to me the half informed consumer.

i'm not like totally against this thing, i think it looks nice aesthetically, but i will have to wait and see if this thing eats shit out of the gate lol

C.Mongler

an, uh, interesting development:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2018/06/21/atari_interview_in_full/?__twitter_impression=true

not doing any favors to the notion that this thing is a load of shit in an atari shell lol

Samus Aran

Quote from: C.Mongler on June 22, 2018, 09:24:06 AM
an, uh, interesting development:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2018/06/21/atari_interview_in_full/?__twitter_impression=true

not doing any favors to the notion that this thing is a load of shit in an atari shell lol

can't help but remember all the "uhhh i dunno" moments from Julie Uhrman regarding the Ouya

Go Up