March 28, 2024, 01:08:19 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

52 Games in 52 Weeks 2018!

Started by C.Mongler, January 02, 2018, 12:34:09 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

C.Mongler

Quote from: Nyerp on June 05, 2018, 10:05:31 AM
Quote from: C.Mongler on June 05, 2018, 07:00:43 AM
beat castlevania dracula X for some fucking reason lord what a bad game

what was so bad about it?

never mind!!
oh i see u probably read my review, but ya it's a SNES port of the PC Engine game Rondo of Blood which is hands down the best pre SotN Castlevania IMO

unfortunately the game shoots itself in the foot at every chance and gets everything wrong about what made rondo of blood so good. the level design is fucking horrible. it kills like 95% of the cinematic moments from rondo of blood. it controls like ass. and the game is WAY TOO FUCKING HARD. not like in a git good way, just in like a fucking annoying cheap ass way. like trillions of fucking medusa heads coming at you while you have to fight 4 knights in a row while doing precision platforming and oh yea you can't fucking directional whip so you better pray everything you try to hit lines up perfectly or you gonna die boy. most of the bosses are just fucking annoying. the final boss in particular is god damned awful and i don't know how anyone beat it back in the day legitimately

C.Mongler

i think in a vacuum tho, the game is okay-ish, albeit it's still stupidly fucking hard. that said, castlevania 4 and rondo of blood shit on it in almost every single regard so it's hard for me to view it outside that context.

TooB

I'm sorry, but if you think the original rondo isn't cheap hard, you're delusional lol

If anything, I found the snes version easier.

Your other points I get though

C.Mongler

i think it has its moments but i dont recall ever really having significant difficulty with it like i did with dracula X. my biggest gripe more than anything is dracula X's overuse of precision platforming sections with insta death pits, especially when enemy knockback is insane in that game. it's not CV4 levels of easy tho, don't get me wrong. It's been almost a decade since i've played rondo of blood tho tbh, so i might replay it just to jog my memory. i remember it having a tough but fair level of challenge with Rondo, and I had beaten it without save states n shit a few times, whereas this game was so god damn difficult there are parts that i don't think i could ever muster the patience to beat organically.

at the very least rondo of blood has way more class and style than dracula x. the tile palette is a lot more varied, scene transitions aren't complete shit like they are in dracula X (like you'll walk up some stairs and magically be outside not even near an entry way wtf), and the game actually tells a story (dracula x has the instruction manual and like 3 story moments that are entirely up to player interpretation).

again, in a vacuum the game is an okay homage to the NES era castlevanias, but on the context of the 16 boys, it aint for me lol

TooB

Quote from: C.Mongler on June 05, 2018, 11:21:14 AM
i think it has its moments but i dont recall ever really having significant difficulty with it like i did with dracula X. my biggest gripe more than anything is dracula X's overuse of precision platforming sections with insta death pits, especially when enemy knockback is insane in that game. it's not CV4 levels of easy tho, don't get me wrong. It's been almost a decade since i've played rondo of blood tho tbh, so i might replay it just to jog my memory. i remember it having a tough but fair level of challenge with Rondo, and I had beaten it without save states n shit a few times, whereas this game was so god damn difficult there are parts that i don't think i could ever muster the patience to beat organically.

at the very least rondo of blood has way more class and style than dracula x. the tile palette is a lot more varied, scene transitions aren't complete shit like they are in dracula X (like you'll walk up some stairs and magically be outside not even near an entry way wtf), and the game actually tells a story (dracula x has the instruction manual and like 3 story moments that are entirely up to player interpretation).

again, in a vacuum the game is an okay homage to the NES era castlevanias, but on the context of the 16 boys, it aint for me lol
I'll agree with ya there

C.Mongler

beat dracula x chronicles (aka rondo of blood psp remake). yeah that shit was a lot harder than i remember, but it was at least fair hard unlike dracula x which is just bullshit hard. had a good time playing it again, glad i did.

Kalahari Inkantation

June 16, 2018, 09:36:42 AM #66 Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:40:20 AM by Magyarorszag
Quote from: Thyme on March 04, 2018, 05:59:40 PM
Quote from: ƕɾο on March 04, 2018, 04:32:47 PM
Quote from: Alexis on March 03, 2018, 02:21:30 PM
at what point can i say i've beaten mario kart 8 deluxe befuddlement
when you've got gold on every cup in 200cc

It's not that hard. 5thgrade;

C.Mongler

Nyerp

um

[spoiler]i'm halfway there[/spoiler]

[spoiler]yes, i have no life[/spoiler]

Kalahari Inkantation

Nyerp

Local Manchild Has Beaten 30 Games This Year Alone......And That's A Bad Thing!

[spoiler]according to my (extremely) rough calculations where i rounded up my playtimes in most cases, my playtime per day for this year so far is around 2.3 hours/day befuddlement[/spoiler]

Thyme

Quote from: Nyerp on June 30, 2018, 12:54:53 AM
Local Manchild Has Beaten 30 Games This Year Alone......And That's A Bad Thing!

[spoiler]according to my (extremely) rough calculations where i rounded up my playtimes in most cases, my playtime per day for this year so far is around 2.3 hours/day befuddlement[/spoiler]

nice baddood;

zelda slowed me down, i’m at 22

Samus Aran

Kalahari Inkantation

Samus Aran

Go Up