March 28, 2024, 11:19:34 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

52 Games in 52 Weeks 2018!

Started by C.Mongler, January 02, 2018, 12:34:09 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

C.Mongler

January 02, 2018, 12:34:09 PM Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 12:44:17 PM by C.Mongler
BACK, BY POPULAR (kaz's) DEMAND: it's the 52 games in 52 weeks challenge, 2018!!! i don't know if anyone actually beat enough games to meet the bar last year (i certainly FUCKIN didn't), but we're going to do it again cuz it's a fun lil way to see what everyone else is beatin', hear about some dang VIDEO GAMES, and to keep track of our own gamesplayed. in case you didn't know (or are a dang idiot and didnt follow the rule last year) it works like this: claim a post of your own that you will update throughout the year with your gamez beat list. you can also include a list of what you're currently playing and are about to play, but it should include the games u beat, the day you beat them, (about) how long it took ya, and a lil write-up/review of the game. like so:

1. Nier: Laundromat - 1/3/2018 - 27 hours 30 minutes
Wow, I didn't think I could clean all those robots and learn life lessons about humanity and weird Japanese shit, but I was sure proven wrong. A great game!!!.

or just do whatever the fuck you want cuz you assholes are gonna do that no matter what i type here!!! You can also use your own discretion for what counts as 'beat' and 'a game'; if you want to include a large DLC expansion or an open ended game that you have created some merit for having "beaten", then that's your own dang prerogative. for example: witcher 3 DLC or Zelda DLC, or games like Planet Coaster, Cities: Skylines, or even PUBG, idgaf. Okay hopefully that makes sense now get to playin some games ya fuckin nerds you're already down two days!!!

C.Mongler

January 02, 2018, 12:36:50 PM #1 Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 09:31:23 PM by C.Mongler
C.MONGLER'S DOMAIN

Currently Playing:
-Dairy Queen 11
-Final Fantasy 15 pocket boys
-Octopath Traveler
-Dead Cells

Maybe Playing Soon:
-Monst Hun: Generations
-Donky Kong Tropical Freeze
-Crash Bandicooties

1. Nier: Automata - 1/25/2018 - 27 hours 58 minutes
Score: 5/5
HO LY FUUUUUCK. Dang, what a friggin game. I'm still trying to process a lot of the shit that that game put into my mind. I think the gameplay wasn't the best in the world tbh, but the narrative is bar none of the best I've experienced maybe ever. Fuck you and Detroit, David Cage; Yoko Taro beat you to the punch like shit..

2. Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back - 1/26/2018 - Less than an hour
Score: 2/5
what the fuck lol. like the game itself isn't terribad; completely unoriginal, forgettable, and plain sure, but it was competent at least. but the bosses, holy shit, the bosses are some of the most insufferable shit i've ever played. just pure test of patience bosses that take like 10 minutes of slow bopping on the head to beat. on top of that you can breeze through the games flat, plain ass levels in less than an hour. god i got this for basically free, but i just have to ask: why does this exist????

3. Shadow of the Colossus (2018) - 2/21/2018 - 4 hours and 40 minutes
Score: 4/5
damn what a good ass game that's starting to show its age. a lot of the problems i had trying to play the last guardian reared their head in this game, which i guess had been there all along, i was just more patient with it in the olden days. this remaster looks fucking amazing though. the filters are especially cool too, you can make the game look like shit if you want to or pretend you're playing an anime game, ITS UP TO UUUUU

4. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - 3/7/2018 - About 10 hours
wowie WEEWOOOW. holy shit, this game goes some damn places. the story for the most part is IN FUCKING CREDIBLE. like nier levels of 'holy fuuuuuuck' in some ways. that said,
a lot of the level designs were pretty lack luster, though the shooting mechanics were greatly improved from last time. i also wasn't a huge fan of the heavy HEAVY use of sneaking and the end bits of this game are kind of meh, but DAMN its worth it for the story alone my dudes.

5.Bayonetta - 3/28/2018 - 11 Hour 24 Minutes
HOLY FUCK that game was fuckign awesome. i'll spare you the details on a game from 2009, but damn im glad i finally got around to this one. so much fuckin' fun. lookin forward to starting 2 soon.

6.Celeste - 4/3/2018 - 7 Hour 26 Minutes
jesus. what a fuckin game. not only was the gameplay fuckin SOLID but the story was really clever and nice as well. A+ game, probs my current GOTY contender. my 'beat' here is the main story, so still got a lot of extra hard as nails shit to get through if i so desire wry

7.Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time - 4/21/2018 - Like an hour
since i've beaten so few games this year i'm fucking COUNTIN' IT since I brought over my chinese pirate cart over to my buds house and we played through this for the first time in a while over the weekend. goodass game, though maybe a bit easier than i remember it being. but also being an adult and being fair about who gets the pizzas probably helps instead of being a jackass kid and stealing all of them at full health

8. Mother 3 - 5/1/2018 - About 22 Hours
what to even say. this is the best game nintendo has ever made, fuck it. its my second time playing it, but damn is it still fantastic.battle system is a little dated, pacing is odd at parts, but the story is A FUCKING ONE. Nintendo y'all some fuckin dipshits for not bringing this state-side.

9. God of War 2018 - 5/19/2018 - Like 20 hours? I don't remember lol
really really REALLY good game, but i had a decent amount of gripe with it. story was goofy at parts, plot threads seemed to be resolved in such a deus ex machina manor sometimes, idk. boss variety was fuckin lame, there were like 2 cool fights in the whole game. wasnt a fan of how little they did with the norse mythology in general tbh. combat reminded me of how i felt about witcher 3 combat: too damn hard for the first 10% of the game, then you get used to it and think its cool for like 5 hours, then you find some cheesy shit that carries you for the entire rest of the game. BUT i did enjoy it, plot was good when it wanted to be, and i want to go back and do more of the little side questing i did.

10. Bayonetta 2 - 5/29/2018 - 7 Hours 34 Minutes
DAYUM more bayonetta what can i say. felt the same about this as the first one (it good), though for some reason normal mode is super easy is this one, which also made the game super short too. might need to go for that new game plus baybeeee

11. Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES) - 6/5/2018 - A little over 2 hours
Score: 2/5
so I for some reason fired this up on my 3DS virtual console when I was trying to decide what to play and I ended up playing through the whole thing. Yes, I'm talking about the shit SNES port of Rondo of Blood here, not the PSP port or the actual good PC Engine game. god DAMN is this game a mess. i don't know how it came out years after fucking castlevania 4 and yet it handles like that game was never made. i mean shit it handles worse than the NES OG Castlevania. after the 2nd level i started to use save states TBH because I wouldn't have the patience to play through this shit without it. the physics are fucking terrible, jumping patterns are completely fucking rigid and you have basically no control over your movement once you get into the air. there's a ton of precision platforming which is fucking dumb with the controls and made even dumber with how absurd enemy knockback is in this game on some hits. no directional whipping is BAD. the final boss is absolute shit. i'm sorry for any kid who bought this back in the day. the graphics are pretty nice though and so are the tunes, so there's that at least.

12. Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (PSP) - 6/11/2018 - A little over 2 hours
alright so john inspired me to give the good ass version of dracula X (aka rondo of blood) a go since i hadn't played it in like 10 years. john was correct in that it's still pretty fucking tough, however i found it to be a fair challenge and not the complete horse shit that the SNES game is. there's literally no death pit platforming sections outside of like one part, and that one part is decently fair. level 5 and 7 are hard as fucking dog dicks in heat though. fun game, would die a lot again. also includes horrid voice acting.

13. X-Men (1992, Arcade) - 6/25/2018 - Like 45 minutes
lol hell yea including short ass beat em ups on my list this year. yeah so literally the arcade game; me and a coworker were at a bar that had the 4-player cabinet so we sunk like 3 bucks into it to clear the whole game. it was very fun, and i enjoyed all the different mutant powers, though storm seemed OP as fuckin shit. also the cabinet we played on was pretty out of shape, so that didnt help. no audio and one of the joysticks wouldnt let you move right lol. still had a great time tho

14. Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido - 7/11/2018 - Like 14 hours
Score: 3/5
what a weird fuckin' game. i LOVE the core gameplay of this shit, don't get me wrong, but almost everything else about this game is either just weird or fucking ass. the story for example is ABSURDLY bad. it actually gets so bad and dumb that it kind of becomes endearing after a while. the thing about the game is is you HAVE to play through the story to have fun. there's no like quick match mode or anything. hell, you can't even play online multiplayer until you're 6 hours into the story. it's weird. also i am baffled as to how this game wasn't made into a pokemon spinoff but whatever

15. Yakuza 0 - 9/7/2018 - 35 hours, 14 minutes
holy SHIT, now this is a fucking VIDEO GAME. so so so SO good. I loved almost every minute of this game. The characters, the side-quests, the world, THE STORY, everything was fucking gripping and awesome. I'm so pumped to keep playing through this series, and I hope they bring the 'remasters' of 3, 4 and 5 stateside so I can cop those when I'm ready. God damn. Only complaint is the combat gets a little old & super cheesy after a while, but the battle music more than made up for it. If you've never played a Yakuza game play this fucking shit right now!!!!

16. WarioWare: Gold - 9/11/2018 - About 2 hours
what a neat game that also had a real short story mode lol. that said, this game is p great; probably the definitive wario ware experience tbh. it has a bunch of old games, a decent amount of new games, and then a brand new FULLY FUCKIN' VOICE ACTED story mode. it's p great. also has the challenge modes and extras these games usually have too.

17. Spider-man (PS4) - 9/24/2018 - About 20 hours??
Was a fun game. I had plenty of gripes with it, but the story i felt nicely came together towards the end (even though it wasn't super gripping until the ending parts). and the webswingin' was ace; i actually did a fair share of collectathon bullshit that i normally wouldn't bother with just because i got to swing around rooftops some more. kind of want to plat it cuz it'd take me maybe like 10 more hours at most, but eh, we'll see lol.

18. Mega Man 11 - 10/11/2018 - About 8 hours
Twas' a very nice Mega Man. My only real complaint is that some of the checkpoints in some of the levels were really friggin' brutal, and Torch Man's run-from-the-fire-wall segments were particularly 'gitfuk'd' bullshit, but also i suck ass at these games so whatever. it was still fun playing and feeling myself git good. also block man is one of the dorkiest robot masters ever. i also enjoyed the shop mechanic as it makes the game a lot more accessible for shit suckers like myself. otherwise, sweet game; might no. 9 had me worried this was going to be plain-jane, generic ass, but the transition to 2.5d worked jsut fine IMO.

19. Bastion - 10/23/2018 - 5 hoursish
Man, I really enjoyed this game. My only real complaint is it was heckin' short. I am glad I finally got around to it tho, a deff indie classix. All the weapon combos were frickin sweet

20. Superhot VR - 11/23/2018 - About 2 hours
Thus far this is my favorite PSVR experience. It's super fun and engaging and kind of a decent workout too if you get into dodging bullets and shit. My only complaint, which may just be more of a PSVR general complaint, is that even the smallest tracking fuckups can really fuck you over in this game. also throwing feels notably unrealistic in physics; i never really got decent at it until the end of the game because how much you have to compensate

21. Tetris Effect - 12/1/2018 - About 3 hours
Okay, Tetris Effect is fucking amazing, and it's even moreso in VR. This game evokes so much emotion despite just being fucking Tetris, it's weird. It has a "campaign" which I beat and then some, but definitely gonna keep playing this for a while. It's one of my favorites of the year for sure.

Nyerp

January 02, 2018, 03:44:20 PM #2 Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 08:23:20 PM by Nyerp
NYERP'S DOMAIN WITH EVEN BIGGER TEXT

Completed Games:

1. Kero Blaster - 1/24/18 - 2:17:55
Good little indie game by the Cave Story team. Charming aesthetic and fun Mega Man-esque gameplay, but it's a tad on the short and easy side.

2. Splatoon 2 (Story Mode) - 1/29/18
Took me a while to get around to beating this because I was just having more fun with the multiplayer modes. Still a neat little campaign though, and definitely enhances the total package of the game.

3. Horizon: Zero Dawn - 2/7/18 - 60:00:33
Uh, I liked fighting the robots I guess. The human enemies not so much. It was hard to get past the Mass Effect: Andromeda-tier facial animations and stilted dialogue at first, but the story eventually came into its own even though it's nothing amazing.

4. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - 2/17/18 - 9:57:35
It's Uncharted. I'll always play more Uncharted. Too bad this is probably the last one.

5. Crush (PSP) - 2/25/18 - 8:39:40
I think there's a 'true ending' I didn't get, but I saw the credits so I don't give a FUCK. Didn't really enjoy this game that much. The core gameplay mechanic is cool and doesn't get explored enough in games, but the levels felt haphazardly designed in a way that encourages lots of trial-and-error. Plus, it's one of those games that grades you after every level and tallies up how many times you used the game's MAIN MECHANIC and punishes you for it. No thanks. Also the music is horrendous in some levels.

6. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (Remake) - 2/26/18
I think there's a 'true ending' I didn't get, so I'll go back and actually finish the game, I swear! I like this game a lot since it's a classic-style Castlevania that I can actually beat. :) I think this and Symphony of the Night make a pretty good duo of games that's representative of the Castlevania series.

7. Prey (2017) - 3/11/18 - 31:34
Not really sure how to feel about this one. In a lot of ways, it's like Bioshock, a game I really enjoyed. But copious amounts of loading, unsatisfying combat, and lack of any boss fights whatsoever held it back for me. Then again, the combat might have been unsatisfying for me because of my choice to stick with Human abilities during my playthrough, so I don't really know its true potential. Regardless, the last 1/3rd or so of the game just felt like running a marathon around pointless-to-kill enemies from long load screen to long load screen. Meh.

8. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - Final Mix - 3/18/18 - 36:00:18
I just want Kingdom Hearts 3 to come out already. Let this convoluted, embarrassing mess of a series (that I secretly love) be over.

9. Rime - 3/21/18
(Playstation Plus) Your typical mechanically shallow indie game with your typical pretentious indie game story. I was actually willing to forgive it until I looked at the stage select screen and saw what the stages were named after. Christ. Visually, the game reminded me of Wind Waker, and there's more exploration in the levels than you'd expect, so it's got that going for it.

10. Air Zonk - 3/25/18
Sweet Mode playthrough because I suck ass at shmups!! Anyway this is a spinoff of the Bonk series, which I guess was a platformer and one of the Turbografx-16's flagship exclusives?? I only ever tried out the first Bonk game and I don't know how the series got to this point, but I liked this game.

11. Dragon Ball FighterZ (story mode) - 4/1/18 - 16:46:42
See Kaz's entry on this game below. Hideously boring and repetitive. I don't understand why there had to be 3 arcs when only the last one fleshed out Android 21's character in any way. Oh well, at least I'm finally done with it.

12. Pyre - 4/14/18
Story, characters, art, and music were all stellar. Gameplay style (3-on-3 sportsball matches spread across an adventure map), however, just never caught on for me. The vast majority of the campaign mode felt like recycled content as well. Good game, but probably my least favorite of Supergiant's offerings so far.

13. Metroid: Samus Returns - 4/29/18 - 14:41:13
YES PLEASE MAKE MORE METROID GAMES, this was actually pretty good. Maybe Mercury Steam isn't complete franchise-killing trash after all??? I've never played Metroid 2 before but I kind of want to now, as well as AM2R. I thought the melee counter mechanic would ruin the game's flow but it actually feels good to perform as a break from constantly mashing the shoot button. The Aeion powers are also pretty well-implemented, letting you feel out parts of the map bit by bit, although item collecting IS easier than it's ever been. But I liked this game!

14. Yakuza 0 - 5/8/18 - 62:59
7.5/10 too many minigames. Entertaining story tho. It's like I'm really watching an extremely long anime series while holding a PS4 controller for some reason!

15. Day of the Tentacle Remastered - 5/12/18 - 11:42:16
I had to look up like 30% of the puzzle solutions. Fuck you why do I have to "use" the squeaky mattress on the other bed why can't I just pick both mattresses up and trade their places. Anyway my completion time is like 6 hours longer than the longest HL2B playthrough so that goes to show how smart I am. Grim Fandango was better anyway!!

16. God of War (2005) - 5/15/18 - 10:22:26
Kratos sucks and I hate him but the spectacle of these games still feels unmatched to this day. I'm eager to play more of this series despite the story sucking Kratos' innocent-civilian's-blood-soaked dick.

17. Mighty No. 9 - 5/18/18 - 4:42:17
(Playstation Plus) What if Mega Man was visually hideous? What if Mega Man tried and failed to be charming every five seconds? What if Mega Man relied on cheap one-hit kill obstacles in its level desi- oh wait Mega Man already does that. Honestly, the core gameplay of Mumbo Jumbo 9 isn't even that bad, but the whole affair just feels frustrating and soulless.

18. Dishonored: Death of the Outsider - 5/23/18 - 13:44:17
If this is the ending of the Dishonored series, then it's a pretty underwhelming one. The back of the box claims "EXHILARATING MISSIONS" and "DEFINITIVE TARGETS" when these are some of the most boring and lackluster missions in the series, and there's only one real "target" in the whole game. Dishonored should have ended with a bang, but this was merely a dull thud.

19. Rhythm Heaven Megamix - 5/24/18 - 10:22
Not sure Rhythm Heaven needed a story, but it was fun to replay all these old minigames again. Just wish there had been more originals and remixes. Still, this is probably the definitive Rhythm Heaven game. Although Fever is still my favorite.

20. Mega Man 7 - 5/28/18
First time I had to use save states to beat one of these games. Well, the Legacy Collection practically begs you to use them but I feel bad for finally giving in. The shiny SNES graphics look nice but Bass's design and personality are awful. Did Mega Man really need its own (pre-Shadow) Shadow the Hedgehog?

21. inFAMOUS 2 - 6/5/18
Going back to play this after playing Second Son last year is interesting. So many weird glitches, and holy shit that framerate. The story isn't as comic-booky as the original, but it still takes some bewildering leaps that left me confused. The gameplay is improved overall, but it lacks the power variety of its sequel. Second Son is probably the best game in this series but it seems like I'm the only one who thinks that.

22. Mega Man 8 - 6/5/18
JUMP JUMP, SLIDE SLIDE. Honestly? I liked this one more than MM7 simply because it feels like they tried something new, even if it didn't always produce the best level design. Plus, the sprite animations are really nice-looking in this one. I'm gonna miss them in 9 and 10.

23. Mega Man 9 - 6/12/18 - 5:06:18
Mega Man is one of the only classic gaming franchises I can think of that got HARDER over time. Cool I guess???? Gimme back my slide and charge shot for real though.

24. God of War II - 6/14/18 - 12:59:47
Toxic Masculinity: The Video Game PART 2.

25. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - 6/16/18 - 2:12:31
Classic Castlevania is back, and so are the INFURIATING JUMPING CONTROLS! Thankfully, the game gives you more lives than you'd ever need in order to counteract the numerous bottomless pits, making it the easiest Classicvania ever. Perfect for a fucking casual like me!

26. MediEvil - 6/19/18 - 8:13
(???) I don't know how this game ended up on my PS3 downloads list, but I decided to play it anyway. Turns out it's a unique and quirky uhhh...Gothic horror action-platformer that ended up being pretty enjoyable despite the janky platforming and primitive combat. Thanks to whatever supernatural force put this charming relic on my console!

27. Detroit: Become Human - 6/20/18
(Rental) I am become human, destroyer of worlds.

28. Mega Man 10 - 6/24/18 - 3:23:28
I've done it. I've completed the whole Mega Man series! That's it, there are no more Mega Man games for me to beat. Certainly not 8 of them releasing in a big collection a month from now. I'm finally free!

29. Parappa the Rapper (PSP) - 6/25/18
Uh, I guess I finished this game? I was surprised that there are only 6 songs. Oh well. This game is cute but I wish there was better feedback on whether you hit individual notes. I gotta BELIEVE that I'm not utter shit at rhythm games!

30. Iconoclasts - 6/30/18 - 13:57:34
Action-platformer metroidvania-lite with puzzle mechanics and emphasis on story. If this description makes you think this game sound kind of unfocused, then you're right. Still, all the individual parts are pretty good. Especially the visual style and sprite animations. There's also a boss fight like every 30 minutes which is exactly what I want out of video games so it's a pretty good one in my book.

31. God of War: Chains of Olympus - 7/8/18 - 5:23:54
Toxic Masculinity: The Prequel. Interesting to see how the game basically retained the series' core gameplay despite being on a handheld, and the graphics are great as expected. Story is "filler"-y of course, though, and Kratos is still the worst. There's a scene where Kratos literally pushes his daughter to the ground and starts slaughtering innocent people's souls on the fields of Elysium but you're supposed to feel bad for him LMAO who writes this shit.

32. Nex Machina - 7/11/18
I played this game for 2 hours on the easiest difficulty so it probably doesn't belong here lol!!!! Never mind, beat it on normal mode. Final boss took 60 continues. Game's fun but there's just way too much visual clutter sometimes.

33. Absolver - 7/23/18
(Playstation Plus) This is a melee-focused combat game with online interactivity and a small, interconnected world to explore (*cough* it's the Dark Souls of melee combat *cough*). I mostly ignored the PvP aspects and just focused on finishing the main """story""". The game lets you edit your movelist with dozens of different attacks and there are four different stances that flow into each other depending on which attacks you use, so it's pretty complex. However, in order to unlock new moves, you need to block them when an NPC or online player uses them on you. It takes FOREVER. Despite the complexity, the game really isn't all that hard and I was able to pretty easily get through the levels without unlocking new moves or really learning anything about the combat. Unlike Souls games, there's no need to spend resources on summoning for help (there's always people running around and requesting co-op), and there's no real penalty for death either. There's probably something here for people who are big into PvP in games, but the campaign is sorely lacking.

34. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate: HD - 7/28/18 - 11:16:09
I have now played 2 out of 3 Lords of Shadow games and I don't know why. Anyway, this game is decent but the lighting is so dark that it gave me eye strain. The 3-act structure where you play as 3 "different" characters is neat but the final act feels kind of redundant. Also, thanks to this structure, I wouldn't really call this game a real "metroidvania" because of how small the segmented sections of castle end up being. There is backtracking, though! And insta-death traps which I don't think I've never seen in a metroidvania before, probably for good reason!

35. Mega Man X - 8/1/18
This game is rad. The dash feels so good once you fully understand how to use it. Overall, just a great game. However, I have some issues with how the game handles health and upgrades, with you being utterly weak and pathetic until you find better armor and more heart capsules. It seems strange to me that they would prioritize progression like that in an intense action game. Why start the player at such a disadvantage? Oh well I just looked up how to get all of the health upgrades LOL.

36. Tales of Vesperia - 8/4/18 - 72:28
This is not the definitive version because I'm an idiot who bought this game 8 months ago! It's a Tales game, so the story is generic fluff but it's got tons of voice acting and party interactions! The battle system is real-time so you won't feel quite like your brain is going numb and you can play as any character (though does anyone really want to play as Estelle?)! Although, I think I like Graces F and Xillia's battle systems better! But I didn't even figure out how to do >50 hit combos until the final dungeon so please disregard my opinions!

37. Mega Man X2 - 8/8/18
More of the same X goodness. Kaz helped me beat this with his plethora of tips 'n' tricks, so I really owe it all to him.

38. Sound Shapes - 8/10/18 - like 2 hours
I swear I didn't know how short this game would be when I bought it on sale lmao. There are only 20 campaign levels, averaging around 5 minutes in length. The rest is all in the level editor and community levels. Level editor-type games are fine, but it really feels like they could have put more into the pre-packaged experience here. There's also fucktons of DLC because of course there is.

39. God of War III - 8/14/18 - 9:43:59
Surprisingly, the best gameplay in the series so far. 4 weapons to swap between, 3 sub-items, and 4 magic spells make for some varied combat. I was no longer spamming the same square square square triangle combo over and over again like in the previous games. Visuals are pretty great too. But that's where my appreciation for this game ends.

40. Mega Man X3 - 8/15/18
Uh oh. This game just doesn't quite hit the same spot that X1 or X2 did. The decline begins?

41. Mega Man X4 - 8/20/18
Wait, this game is better than X3! But it's also one of, if not THE, easiest Mega Man games I've played so far.

42. God of War: Ghost of Sparta - 8/22/18 - 6:25:38
Yep, this sure is a God of War game, and a pretty by-the-numbers one at that. The slight combat variety of GoW3 is missing so this feels like a dull rehash in comparison. I think this game just exists to make Kratos' actions in 3 look slightly more justified (although it fails of course).

43. God of War (2018) - 8/31/18 - like 40 hours?
Best game in the series. Kratos is irredeemable and always will be, but at least they tried to make him finally act like a reasonable person in this one. Combat is different from the previous entries, but it's still intense and action-packed. The game still has some flaws that hold it back, like the boring, obligatory RPG mechanics and everything about Niflheim, but it's definitely a solid 8/10.

44. Devil May Cry - 9/8/18 - 5:42:29
I should have been the one to fill your Dark SoulTM with liiIIIIIiiiggghhhtttt!!!! Anyway this game was okay I guess.

45. Mega Man X5 - 9/16/18 - 5:25:51
Why the time limit. Why the obscure parts system. Why Volt Kraken's stage. Why Zero Stage 1: Quick Man's Return followed by the Black Devil. WHY ALIA INTERRUPTING YOU EVERY 2 MINUTES. I should just stop playing this series before the REAL shit starts. But I won't. Because I'm a glutton for pain.

46. Devil May Cry 2 - 9/16/18 - 6:26:14
This game isn't quite as horrible as I was led to believe, but hoo boy is it still a snoozefest. The only improvement over the original game is that SOME of the camera angles are less janky. Literally everything else is worse. The game is also pathetically easy, with your pistols being so overpowered that you can literally just stand still and shoot some of the bosses to death (including the final boss). I never even died. Because of this lack of difficulty, this game is never really frustrating, but it's also never really engaging. It's just a dull experience where you can turn your brain off and mash buttons for a few hours. Meh. EDIT: I have now beaten Lucia's story as well, and now I think even less of the game! Great!

47. Marvel's Spider-Man - 9/22/18 - i need a life
The swinging was fun.

48. Mega Man X6 - 10/1/18 - 8:12:21 (left the game on for ~2 hours)
I have nothing positive to say about this game. Not the worst game ever, but it's crushingly disappointing that a series that started with such high highs eventually turned into this.

49. Mega Man 11 - 10/7/18 - 5:34:33
Pretty solid Mega Man game. The gear system feels fun and fluid. Some of the visuals are great, but some backgrounds are weirdly ugly. Most levels are comfortably long, although a couple overstay their welcome to an annoying degree (Gear Fortress 1, ugh). The game's length is typical for a Mega Man game but I definitely wouldn't have minded a couple more Wily stages. The game's biggest negative, for me, is that most of the music just doesn't stand out or hold up against the rest of the series' soundtracks. All in all, this game was definitely good and I hope they use its strengths as a basis to make an MM12 that is more polished and a little longer.

50. Mega Man X7 - 10/13/18 - 6:39:46
https://i.imgur.com/b0HKkTT.gif?noredirect

51. Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition - 10/15/18 - 11:26:47
This party's gettin' crazy/10. What can I say about this game that hasn't already been said? It's great. Minus a few awkward boss fights. And camera angles. And enemy designs. I should shut up now.

52. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Switch Version) - 10/26/18 - 10 hours
It's over. I have completed this challenge and I will never participate in it again. Anyway this game was cute.

----------------------------------------DISGUSTING LOSER ZONE----------------------------------------

53. Shadows of the Damned - 10/31/18 - 9:08:56
Entertaining, yet rough around the edges. Like RE4, but with way more comedy (if you can call it that) and way less polish. Features a female character who is essentially a sex object to be fought over by protagonist and villain, so that's not great.

54. Delta Rune (Chapter 1) - 11/5/18 - 3:22:41
What if Undertale, but short?

55. Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition - 11/9/18
This game feels even better to play than the last in the series. Nero's Devil Bringer is amazing and those contextual grab attacks on bosses are so satisfying. Dante is also the best he's ever been, thanks to instant style switching which was sorely missing from 3. The big flaw, however, is how much of the game's content gets repeated in the second half. Still tons of fun, though. I can't wait for DMC5.

56. American McGee's Alice - 11/18/18 - it hurts
When I first booted up the game and completed the first couple of levels, I thought to myself, "You know, this is kind of charming despite how bad all the weapons feel and how it looks like a poorly emulated N64 game and how the platforming is comparable to swimming in a pool of mud. I might enjoy this." But then the game kept going. And going. And going some more. And the level design got even worse with each passing hour. And the enemies became horrendous damage sponges. And half the weapons turned out to be unreliable trash. And it just wouldn't stop.

57. Alice: Madness Returns (100% Collectibles) - 11/26/18
A sequel that's better than the original in every way. Still not without its flaws, though. And frankly, the meat of the game feels like filler since the basic platforming doesn't get much more complicated than what's found in the first couple of chapters. But the story's payoff makes up for it...kind of.

58. Doom (2016) - 12/11/18
My first Doom game. I liked it. I shot at the demons until they died. Fun.

59. Conker's Bad Fur Day - 12/14/18 - 13:58:13
Fails at both comedy and gameplay 90% of the time. Only really notable for how bizarre it is. Otherwise, all it has is mean-spirited gore, poop jokes, dated movie references, tedious turret sections, platforming bereft of depth perception, and a jarring genre shift into a dreadful third-person shooter, all wedged into a nonsensical and nihilistic game about nothing, for nobody.

60. WarioWare Gold - 12/31/18 - 5:33
Way too short, but still had a blast. And that's my last game. Happy New Year!

Currently Playing:
-megimon x
-devil man cry(baby)

Plan to Play:
-Yakuza Kiwami
-EVEN MORE MEGA MAN GAMES
-Folklore
-Mega Man Legends

I AM A PLAGIARIST!!!

YPrrrr

Currently Playing:

Cuphead
League of Legends
Assassins Creed Origins
Civilization VI
Duck Game
Stick Fight
Pokemon Blue

Queued up:
Uncharted 4 the Lost Legacy
Deus Ex free PSN game thing
Bioshock Collection
Witcher 3
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5
Shadow of Mordor
Wolfenstein II
LoZ OoT (adult link)
LoZ BotW  (2 more beasts)
Horizon Zero Dawn

I'm pretty fucked

Beaten:
Mario Party 100

TooB

January 02, 2018, 05:49:14 PM #4 Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 12:43:52 AM by Big Goop
GOOPS DOMAIN with normal text

Finished Games
Yakuza 4
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
Dragon Quest VIII
Yakuza 5
Twinbee Yahho
Monster Hunter World
Yakuza 6
God of War
Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition
Dragon Ball FighterZ
Witcher 2
Detroit: Become Human
Sonic Mania Plus
Cyberdimension Neptunia 4 Goddesses Online
Spyro the Dragon
Fatal Fury First Contact
Spider Man ps4
Metal Slug 1st Mission
Mega Man 11
Silent Hill 2
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
Kid Dracula
Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti
Castlevania Legends
Dragon Quest XI
Fatal Frame 3
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Call of Duty: WW2
Rock Band 4

Currently playing

Xenoblade 2
Tokyo Xanadu
Ys 8
stuff

Samus Aran

January 02, 2018, 07:01:56 PM #5 Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 02:59:21 AM by Samus Aran
KAZ'S DOMAIN WITH SLIGHTLY BIGGER TEXT

Finished:

1. Yakuza 0 - 1/18 - 80 hours or smth
This is the first Yakuza game I've played and holy shit does it rule!! Highly recommended. If you want to jump into this series, this is the place to start.

2. VA-11 HALL-A - 1/24 - 15 hrs
Really cool visual novel. Amazing art style and music, and the story and characters are nice too. It's mostly just a game where you read conversations between Jill (main character and bartender) and her clients, but it's done very well regardless of the lack of much "gameplay" or even things that are typical of visual novels (character routes, choices, etc.). My only issue is that some of the writing (the jokes in particular) can be pretty overdone and pandering at times. Definitely recommended though!

3. Actual Sunlight - 2/6 - 1 hr
A visual novel that's about an hour long. about depression and self-loathing and harsh realities with no real message or take-away, it's just a portrait of depression. can't really say i enjoyed it, but i at least respect it.

4. ALLTYNEX Second - 2/8 - 3 hrs
Fantastic vertically scrolling shmup that shares a lot in common with Radiant Silvergun, including a bullet-eating melee sword, numerous weapons, and tearing boss ships apart piece by piece. Highly recommended for shmup fans. Game is honestly only like 20 minutes long, but it took me several tries before i could clear it. Challenging but definitely doable.

5. Kirby: Squeak Squad - 2/11 - ~5 hrs
Pretty lazy Kirby game. Dull level design, bad new copy abilities, just all around a monotonous experience without much going for it other than "well, it's a Kirby platformer so it ain't bad at least." Definitely the worst of the "main" Kirby games I've played. But again, it ain't bad.

6. Without Within - 2/11 - like 20 minutes??
Free lil visual novel on Steam. There are a lot of free VNs on Steam tbh, and I've picked a lot of them up recently to just play whenever. I had no idea this one was so...short. Uh, I can only assume that this is the developer's first attempt at making a game? It has like 6 choices and an extremely simplistic story and super generic art that's like...Western animu fan's chibi art they posted on DeviantArt when they were 14 lmao. Man this sucked. Oh well.

7. Twinbee Yahho! - 2/16 - ~40 minutes
Really goofy, cute shmup that John and I played co-op on. Really cool tbh, with gorgeous graphics like most big shmups on the Saturn had.

8. Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars - 2/16 - 1.5 hrs
The cheapest of the Alex Kidd games that I've been able to find for my Master System. It's...not very good. It's also really easy for an old action platformer. This is the second Alex Kidd game, after the renowned Alex Kidd in Miracle World. I've heard Miracle World and Shinobi World both kick the shit out of this game. I hope that's true.

9. Dragon Ball FighterZ (story mode) - 3/19 - 9-10 hrs
The story mode for this game is a serious grind. A total slog through repetitive fights with enemies who usually just stand there and let you autocombo them. I honestly can't believe that the ArcSys thinks anyone would want to grind characters to level 70 (or probably even higher for half the characters) to see all the link event cutscenes. But whatever, it's just a fighting game story mode, I didn't expect anything. At least it's not just a visual novel with occasional fights like most ArcSys game story modes.

10. Harvest Moon 64 - 4/10 - 45 hrs
This is a fine game and all but how do people play these for even longer than the allotted time it takes to get to the credits? Playing hm64 past like a year and a half became such a drag I ended up doing the absolute bare minimum every day and going to bed to end the day before it was even noon. I definitely can't play simulation games for a long time lol. But yeah it's not bad. Better than its SNES predecessor.

11. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 - 4/13 - 4 hrs
I borrowed this game from a friend a couple times as a kid, but I never actually did beat it. Now I have. Great game, definitely one of the best platformers on the first Game Boy. Pretty easy for the most part, but the final boss was challenging especially cause apparently I was doing it the "hard way" for the first seven or eight attempts. Finding the treasures is easy for the most part too - I was going in blind with no memory of where any of them were, and I managed to find all but two.

12. Bomberman '94 - 4/19 - 5 hrs
Great game. I mean, it's not much different from the other 16-bit Bomberman games, and a lot of people know this game as its Genesis/MD port Mega Bomberman (a somewhat inferior port). Fun single player mode, great battle mode, great music, all the staples are here. This is also the first game that included the Louies, the kangaroos you can ride. So that's neat. I will say though, the final level in the single-player is a huge pain in the ass, and the final boss is one cheap motherfucker. Definitely harder than anything in the Super Bomberman series. Still, wonderful game and I'm glad I was able to find it for so cheap because it's the only goddamn game I have on my PC Engine that I can actually play without having to know Japanese.

13. Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension (story mode) - 5/5 - 40 mins
So I used to emulate this Super Famicom game a ton back when I was around 12 or 13. Typically, playing it in versus mode with my buddy Kevin. And man I was WAY better at it back then, even just on a keyboard. I've been spoiled by other fighting games since, ones with inputs that aren't bizarre and frustrating to pull off. Still, once you get the hang of it, this is a very competent fighting game for the time. DBZ fighting games have always been, on the whole, pretty bad. This is an exception. It's basically a good version of the Super Butoden series that preceded it. Anyway, it has gorgeous graphics, it's fast (at least, Street Fighter II fast), it's not floaty or clunky, and it's got some bomb ass music too. As a kid I never bothered with the story mode. Well, now I have. It's about 40 minutes long. Longer if you keep getting your butt rocked, but tbh about half the fights in story mode you don't even have to win because they're parts from DBZ where said character ended up losing anyway. Pretty cool game tho. You know, for the time.

14. Moon Hunters - 5/6 - 1 hr
Fun little game to play with friends. Probably not so much by yourself. Completed the story a few times co-op with Notsid, Popsi and Zidone by my side. The story is completely nonsensical, honestly most of the game is lmao. Nonsensical in that it's up its own ass about its hard fantasy story but the story doesn't actually make any sense. But whatever, point is it was fun.

15. Blazing Lazers - 5/24 - 3 hrs
Really cool shmup for the Turbografx. It's ball-breakingly fucking hard though. Like it's definitely manageable (even outright easy) for the first six levels, especially if you can keep hold of the right powerups. But the checkpoint system can be brutal at times, sending you back to really inconvenient spots where you CANNOT get the powerups you need to survive so you're pretty much fucked until you get game over and then you use a continue to start the level over again and stand a chance (these continues are limited though). Despite the difficulty, I managed to get myself to the last level before...well, the checkpoint system fucks you SO hard on this last level, to the point where if you die at all you might as well give up. This last level is the most unfair bullshit I've ever dealt with in a shmup. Ever. I'm not even ashamed to admit I had to resort to a code to get me through it (a code giving you extra insta-respawns, items that negate the checkpoint system and are incredibly difficult to collect normally). Final boss was lame lmao. But whatever. For 16-bit shooters, this one is great overall, just way, way too hard on that last level. Great graphics and sound. Easy to see why the TG16/PC Engine was THE shmup console of its generation.

16. Super Bomberman 3 - 5/28 - 4 hrs
Like Bomberman '94 above, this is a Japanese-only 16-bit release, this one on the Super Famicom. And this game borrows very heavily from 94 - its graphical style is nearly identical, and it includes the Looies (kangaroo mounts) again. The music is half new stuff, half remixes of tracks from various other Bomberman games. And the music, let me tell you, is the best part of this particular Bomberman entry. The percussion style is very unique for classic games, a crazy mix of breakbeat and drum n' bass. Btw, like '94, this game's final level is a huge fucking pain, despite the rest of the game being really easy. This game probably has my favorite multiplayer battle mode out of all the Bomberman games I've ever played tbh. Not that it's the "best," (that might be Generations) but for the classic style it's top tier and the battle music is BANGIN. I used to emulate this game constantly, I'm really glad to own it now.

17. Disgaea: Hour of Darkness - 6/19 - 80 hrs
This really is a great game. Fucking fantastic strategy RPG battle system that makes wonderfully unique innovations that you can really only find in Disgaea. And while I did think a lot of the humor was...well, really stupid, I'm still very glad that it's a game that does not take itself seriously at all. And don't even get me started on the fucking replayability. This series is known for its endless content, and it's true. Only in this series can you pretty much infinitely level up characters and items, and some people sink years of their lives into doing exactly that. And this is reinforced by the game's overall over-the-top nature. Even some of the weakest attacks can have some of the most ridiculous, overblown animations. It's anime: the RPG. And it's great. I only really did enough of the extra stuff to make my trek through the core game more manageable - yeah, you will have to grind and level up some items and stuff to stand a chance. But I didn't mind that. It's like the game was just gently reinforcing the idea that, yes, those crazy features like item world and transmigration do exist and I should use them!

18. Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - 6/23 - 16 hrs
I have so much to say about this game. So much that I want to do a whole video essay on it eventually. This isn't a bad game, but I wouldn't really say it's a good game either. It's an ok game that tried to 1-up the old Mirror's Edge and try to "fix" some things. It didn't fix the bad combat, it just added more combat maneuvers and made the overall combat system, uhh...slightly less shitty. It didn't fix the bad story, it just expanded upon it, making the new one both bad and longer. More fleshed out though. And ok yeah the esurance cutscenes are gone, thank god. But that's where the improvements end. The choice to go open-world was a bad one, plain and simple. It's what ultimately kills the game, in many different ways. It just...doesn't understand the things that were good about the old game. It sees room for improvement in the wrong areas. It's honestly just a worse game, and that is truly depressing. I waited so, so long for a new Mirror's Edge. As flawed as the original is, I still love it for its core gameplay. When we first heard that Mirror's Edge 2 was officially being developed, we all thought "well, maybe this one will be a full experience and fix the first one's problems." And it does try, but it's just misstep after misstep.

19. Voices from the Sea - 7/9 - 45 minutes
Shitty free visual novel on Steam. Don't bother.

20. Nekopara Vol. 1 - 7/12 - 4 hrs
Titty game. A really overrated one. No one here is going to care about this the way I do, but if you were ever interested in trying some of the more popular ero visual novels, trust me when I say that this one is boring. I'd like at least some story. This is just poorly written catgirl slice of life with sex scenes.

21. Rockman and Forte - 8/28 - 5 hrs
Note that I'm calling this "Rockman and Forte" as opposed to "Mega Man and Bass" because I didn't play the lame GBA port we got. I played the original game on Super Famicom. Without the shitty screen cropping that our GBA version has. Anyway, this game is mostly great. It's effectively Mega Man 8.5, taking place in between 8 and 9. It also uses the same graphical style as 8, proving that MM8 could've been on the Super Famicom and performed just fine. Being able to play as Bass is neat as hell, but some of Bass's abilities make the game a lot easier than it should be...while, on the other hand, if you play as Mega Man this game is really fucking hard. Like honestly this is probably the hardest game in the classic series. Magic Man is a real fuckhead, and unless you know what you're doing Dynamo Man can seem impossible at first (though he is really quite easy once you figure him out). The real kicker is the levels though - really fuckin cheap enemy placement and lots of traps. Being experienced with Mega Man in general though will make this game not seem quite as hard as people make it out to be, but it is definitely still harder than the rest. Anyway yeah great game, some of the music is a bit disappointing but overall it's got that classic Mega Man charm and I think it's just as good as MM8. Plus, Bass!!

22. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back from the Sewers - 9/6 - 2 hrs
Pretty decent scrolling beat-em-up for the Game Boy. It's of the "large sprites but slow speed" variety of GB games. It's also fairly challenging, so I'm very glad for the infinite continues. The game is really only about forty minutes long if you never die, but that just wasn't going to happen for me.

23. KO Mech- 9/26 - 5 hrs

24. We Love Katamari - 9/30 - 7 hrs

25. Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt - 9/30 - 45 mins

26. Resident Evil (remake) HD Remaster -10/4 - 8 hrs

27. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - 10/8 - 2 hrs

28. Kirby Tilt n' Tumble - 10/15 - 5 hrs
That's like an extra two hours due to constantly dying. This game is frustrating as all hell.

29. Amnesia: The Dark Descent - 10/19 - 7 hrs

30. Silent HIll 3 - 11/1 - 9 hrs

31. Karakara - 11/22 - 2 hrs

32. Princess Remedy in a Heap of Trouble - 11/22 - 1 hr

33. Nekopara Vol. 0 - 11/27 - 45 mins

34. LIMBO - 11/27 - 3 hrs

35. PRICE - 11/29 - 1 hr

36. Samorost 2 - 11/30 - 1 hr

37. To the Moon - 12/1 - 4 hrs]/b]

38. Iridion II - 12/14 - 2 hrs

39. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Story Mode) - 12/19 - 29 hrs

Replays:

1. Shadow of the Colossus (via PS4 HD version)
This is the third time I've bought this game and I don't even care, it's worth it. Platinumed this bitch just like I did with the PS3 version. One of my favorite games of all time just keeps getting better.

2. Super Metroid
Note: As of when I'm typing this, I've completed this game like 12 times this year due to learning how to speedrun it.

3. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Currently Playing:

-Nier
-Iridion II
-Star Wars Dark Forces
-Golden Sun
-Kirby Tilt n Tumble

ME##

Currently playing:

American Truck Simulator lol
Tearaway

Hope to play sometime this year
Red Dead Redemption II
Final Fantasy XV

Maybe I’ll try Tomb Raider again since it’s working on my computer again as well as Half-Life

Thyme

January 06, 2018, 09:28:50 PM #7 Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 06:06:36 PM by Alexis
y’all should get into artsy-pantsy indie games, i’m already thirteen games in lmao

TooB

Quote from: Alexis on January 06, 2018, 09:28:50 PM
y’all should get into artsy-pantsy indie games, i’m already two games in lmao
indie games are mostly bleh though.

TooB

Yakuza 4 is my first finished game in 2018!

Hiro

jesus christ y'all
I ""beat"" mario odyssey so far

Samus Aran

beat yakuza 0 so i added that to my freshly minted, hot-off-the-press completed games list above

really great fucking game

still have tons and tons left to do in the game tho

reeper

Saving post for when I beat the bouncer  on PS2 52 times

Nyerp

Samus Aran

finished va-11 hall-a a couple days ago so i updated that

Go Up