It is now well established that the Wii is the greatest 3D Nintendo console.

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, July 12, 2017, 11:19:08 PM

previous topic - next topic

Which is the greatest Nintendo home console of all time?

SNES
8 (88.9%)
Wii
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Go Down

bluaki

I don't go back and play classic games much, so there aren't that many great snes ones I love

Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Mario All-Stars, Link to the Past, and Donkey Kong Country is basically it.
I guess Kirby Super Star kinda counts too; I never played it on SNES but I really like the DS remake. I probably should play Dream Land 3 and the other kirby classics on the copy of Dream Collection that I own for Wii.

On Wii, I love both Mario Galaxy games, the Wii ports of Pikmin, both Kirby games, Skyward Sword, and all three Trauma Center games. I like and I've played a bunch of others but they don't stand out to me as stellar in the same way or worth going back to.

QuoteIt is now established that the Wii is the greatest 3D Nintendo console
Why? I'd say GameCube has the better entries for franchises like Zelda and Smash Bros (probably Metroid too?), some great original first-party games like Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion since launch, and it was a pretty huge leap in graphical potential over the N64. It has much better controllers than both N64 and Wii.

In terms of hardware design, I like Switch best. Its compromises don't feel nearly as bad for games as N64's cartridges and controllers, GameCube's mini-discs, or Wii and Wii U's unusual controllers. Even if Switch underperforms a bit as a console (it's still closer to its competitors than Wii or Wii U were), for a handheld it feels like a huge leap in performance; like it's more than just one generation ahead of Vita, or more than two generations ahead of the 3DS.

The only stuff I'd say Wii really wins out on is Mario Galaxy, Virtual Console, and sales numbers.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Nico Yazawa on July 12, 2017, 11:47:10 PM
i didn't include supposed greats that i haven't gotten to yet, like the lufia and breath of fire games, or illusion of gaia or terranigma. or plenty others

for the purpose of this comparison, you are allowed to include great games you haven't necessarily played so long as the general critical consensus is that they are great

Quote from: Nico Yazawa on July 12, 2017, 11:47:10 PM
i'm also not including mario paint simply because it was only great at the time, actual computers made it obsolete pretty quickly. as cool as it is.

there are plenty of software tools that were great for their time but were rendered obsolete as technology progressed

i personally would include mario paint lol

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: C.Mongler on July 13, 2017, 04:29:56 PM
but yeah this premise is even too crazy for me lol

note that i am not asserting that the wii > snes

i am only asking if there is a comparison to be made

we are all in agreement that the wii > wiiu/gamecube/n64, and it's also better than the nes, so the only platform left to compare it with is the snes lol

Thyme

Hiro

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on July 13, 2017, 07:53:09 PM
we are all in agreement that the wii > wiiu/gamecube/n64
no we're not?? goonish
I think most of us would say the Gamecube is the best 3D Ninendo console

YPrrrr

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on July 13, 2017, 07:53:09 PM
Quote from: C.Mongler on July 13, 2017, 04:29:56 PM
but yeah this premise is even too crazy for me lol

note that i am not asserting that the wii > snes

i am only asking if there is a comparison to be made

we are all in agreement that the wii > wiiu/gamecube/n64, and it's also better than the nes, so the only platform left to compare it with is the snes lol
lmao im closer to saying the Wii is below the Wii U like Hiro than it's better than the GC or N64

TooB

Controversial, but correct opinion;

GameCube had the worst main mario game

[spoiler]and 3.....2.....1...[/spoiler]

YPrrrr

silvertone

wii is better because it can play game cube games. check mate cubists

Thyme

silvertone

TooB

Quote from: SVT on July 14, 2017, 11:52:54 AM
this is actually a very good argument.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Big Goop on July 14, 2017, 12:10:36 PM
Quote from: SVT on July 14, 2017, 11:52:54 AM
this is actually a very good argument.

but for the purpose of this thread, i really only wanted to compare system libraries and not hardware functionality lol

i wouldn't include the entire gamecube library as an argument in favor of the wii because that'd be completely unfair and leave no room for argument

Hiro

Samus Aran

Quote from: Big Goop on July 13, 2017, 08:43:21 PM
Controversial, but correct opinion;

GameCube had the worst main mario game

[spoiler]and 3.....2.....1...[/spoiler]

that's not controversial at all. and for the record, i agree. unless we're counting 3d world? but i don't think of it the same way. but yeah between sunshine, 64, and the two galaxy games, sunshine is definitely my least favorite. i love it, but it's still at the bottom.

Go Up