April 15, 2024, 10:06:25 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Tatl vs. Midna: A Tael of Two Companions

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, July 09, 2017, 02:25:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Who is your preferred Zelda companion, and why?

Midna
4 (57.1%)
Tatl
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Go Down

TooB

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on July 09, 2017, 03:17:49 PM
Quote from: Big Goop on July 09, 2017, 03:15:03 PM
but really, you gotta know that I'm pretty bad at articulating my arguments. I may have a point, but I suck at getting it across.

Well now's your chance to practice. tomatoes;

From a gameplay perspective, what, if anything, makes Midna more (or less) useful than Tatl?
well, nothing really. They're all glorified z-targeting.

My arguments are based almost purely on story.

Although midna does have that cool multi-targeting thing where you can attack multiple enemies at once.

Thyme

(not an actual argument)

midna is the z-targeting system and the zelda game multitool
she's this game's ocarina, or wind baton

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Big Goop on July 09, 2017, 03:22:35 PM

Although midna does have that cool multi-targeting thing where you can attack multiple enemies at once.

i will admit that that is neat

and even if wolf combat sucks, she does actively help you fight, unlike any of the fairies

but if your argument is almost entirely story-based, then boy does tatl have a story for you girl;

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on July 09, 2017, 03:24:26 PM
midna is the z-targeting system and the zelda game multitool
she's this game's ocarina, or wind baton

but this is an actual argument, and it's a reasonable one that i hadn't considered

do you prefer midna as a multitool to having an ocarina or other instrument

TooB

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on July 09, 2017, 03:25:30 PM
Quote from: Big Goop on July 09, 2017, 03:22:35 PM

i will admit that that is neat

and even if wolf combat sucks, she does actively help you fight, unlike any of the fairies

but if your argument is almost entirely story-based, then boy does tatl have a story for you girl;
she does have a story, and its why I like tatl more than navi.

But, unless I forgot something big, (which is likely) her story isn't as good to me.

Kalahari Inkantation

July 09, 2017, 03:47:01 PM #20 Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 06:03:13 PM by Majorana's Mask
Quote from: Big Goop on July 09, 2017, 02:58:03 PM
Also, what is Navis character? Find the boy without a fairy and bug him?

help an otherwise unremarkable child to realize his remarkable destiny

i think that's a p. good story in and of itself, and that synopsis is a great oversimplification of navi's role

from a gameplay perspective, navi quite literally introduced the very concept of z-targeting, which changed the way 3d games are played forever

where would gaming itself be without navi

Quote from: Big Goop on July 09, 2017, 02:58:03 PM
All tatl had was, we found the skullkid sad and became his friend, then I got separated and had to use someone.

this, too, is an oversimplification imo

tatl and tael stumbled upon this sad, hideous, abandoned lonely loser idiot, and were kind enough to lend him their friendship in spite of his great faults

and together they became partners in mischief

then one day skull kid's mischief went a little too far, beyond what tatl or tael had foreseen

and then they became partners in actual crime

after that, tatl and tael become mere tools for the skull kid to realize his goals (hmm, somewhat like the midna-link relationship)

tatl's backstory is actually kind of humbling and endearing and relatable, because we've all been a sad lonely loser idiot at one point or another (or at least i have (still am))

imo it's much better than midna's 'hey link you haven't harmed me at all but nonetheless i'm going to treat you like the dog you are (wow if only i could have been so assertive when zant was destroying my kingdom lol!!!!!!!)'

TooB

Kalahari Inkantation

You can do better than that. akudood;

i'm not trying to win, i'm legitimately trying to figure out why midna is so much more popular than tatl lol

i mean midna has already clearly won the popularity contest among zelda fans, i just don't know why

TooB

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on July 09, 2017, 03:59:03 PM
You can do better than that. akudood;

i'm not trying to win, i'm legitimately trying to figure out why midna is so much more popular than tatl lol

i mean midna has already clearly won the popularity contest among zelda fans, i just don't know why
well, I've told you my reason.

If you wanna know the REAL reason zelda fans like her more, the answer you're looking for is

[spoiler]they wanna fuck midna. [/spoiler]

don't let's

Thyme

Quote from: donʼt letʼs on July 09, 2017, 06:14:27 PM
Dimitri

i know where you're coming from, but dimitri along with the other two animal friends aren't really companions in the same way those other examples were

Thyme

don't let's

Quote from: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on July 09, 2017, 06:27:41 PM
not to mention, ricky > dimitri
honestly, my first thought was to say ricky but it's been a while since I played the games and I don't remember too much about those guys

don't let's

Quote from: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on July 09, 2017, 06:26:07 PM
Dimitri

i know where you're coming from, but dimitri along with the other two animal friends aren't really companions in the same way those other examples were
oh yeah, prove it  akudood;

don't let's

Quote from: donʼt letʼs on July 09, 2017, 06:58:57 PM
Quote from: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on July 09, 2017, 06:26:07 PM
Dimitri

oh yeah, prove it  akudood;
but if that doesn't work for you, then Zelda or ezlo

Go Up