March 28, 2024, 01:40:33 PM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

As Boyah's resident AMD shill,

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, July 07, 2017, 09:57:20 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

I kind of want a 1080ti. befuddlement

please talk me out acting on such an absurd impulse y/n

Thyme

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on July 07, 2017, 09:57:20 PM

*looks up prices*

lmao

the parts i ordered last night cost that in total

tec, don't

Kalahari Inkantation

it may seem bewilderingly excessive but i do need would very much like a new gpu befuddlement

and the more powerful a gpu i buy today, the longer i can go without buying another gpu in the future

and i've seen it on sale for as little (lol) as ~$630

And finally, I certainly wouldn't be buying it in the immediate future. I'd probably be saving until September for this, at the earliest. sillydood;

at which point it would hopefully be a little less expensive :'(

bluaki

July 09, 2017, 12:43:58 PM #3 Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 01:00:35 PM by bluaki
I'm also looking to get a new video card soon, because of the problems with my R9 270X. Thinking of maybe going for RX 560, which is comparable performance in general but way less heat and power use (180W to 75W), newer architecture that works better with Vulkan and whatnot, and much better drivers.

Some RX 560 cards have been in stock at MSRP for a while, but not the 4GB ones. It feels really wasteful to get a 2GB version for only $10 less, so I'll wait.

If I feel like spending more money on performance I might never use, maybe an RX 570. Probably won't get 580. They're both out of stock anyway.

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on July 07, 2017, 09:57:20 PM

If you like AMD that much and want something as high-end as a 1080ti, why not wait until Vega to see how it compares?

Kalahari Inkantation

July 09, 2017, 01:47:55 PM #4 Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:01:09 PM by Majorana's Mask
Quote from: bluaki on July 09, 2017, 12:43:58 PM
If you like AMD that much and want something as high-end as a 1080ti, why not wait until Vega to see how it compares?

i may like amd, but i'm not quite a blind fanboy lol

and vega, to be honest, is going to be an absolute bomb awdood;

perhaps even literally considering how high is power requirements are myface;

i will Wait for Vega™ anyway because, at the very least, i'd like to see if it encourages nvidia to reduce its prices, but honestly i'm starting to doubt whether vega is competitive enough to even accomplish that

i mean it's truly, inexcusably terrible

my current gpu is based on the two-year-old fiji, which is amd's single most powerful gpu architecture to date

And yet, adjusted for frequency, Fiji outperforms Vega by a significant margin. goonish

Quote from: bluaki on July 09, 2017, 12:43:58 PM
I'm also looking to get a new video card soon, because of the problems with my R9 270X. Thinking of maybe going for RX 560, which is comparable performance in general but way less heat and power use (180W to 75W), newer architecture that works better with Vulkan and whatnot, and much better drivers.

Some RX 560 cards have been in stock at MSRP for a while, but not the 4GB ones. It feels really wasteful to get a 2GB version for only $10 less, so I'll wait.

If I feel like spending more money on performance I might never use, maybe an RX 570. Probably won't get 580. They're both out of stock anyway.

Have you considered any of the Nvidia GPUs at comparable price ranges? befuddlement

amd's cards are now all absurdly overpriced because of the mining bubble

the 580 is worth no more than $220, and yet it's being traded at $400-$500 because muh bitcoins

bluaki

July 09, 2017, 02:21:39 PM #5 Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:25:07 PM by bluaki
Quote from: Majorana's Mask on July 09, 2017, 01:47:55 PM
i may like amd, but i'm not quite a blind fanboy lol

and vega, to be honest, is going to be an absolute bomb awdood;

perhaps even literally considering how high is power requirements are myface;

i will Wait for Vegaâ,,¢ anyway because, at the very least, i'd like to see if it encourages nvidia to reduce its prices, but honestly i'm starting to doubt whether vega is competitive enough to even accomplish that

i mean it's truly, inexcusably terrible
Vega isn't even out yet. I didn't realize there was this much info about it available.

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on July 09, 2017, 01:47:55 PM
Have you considered any of the Nvidia GPUs at comparable price ranges? befuddlement

amd's cards are now all absurdly overpriced because of the mining bubble

the 580 is worth no more than $220, and yet it's being traded at $400-$500 because muh bitcoins
I like using the free open-source Linux drivers. AMD is much better than NVIDIA on that front, especially with newer GPUs.

I'll never make a PC intended primarily for Windows, I just go for either Intel integrated or AMD discrete graphics.

I'd hesitate to even spend $220 on a 580. Regardless how well-off I'll be with money, I don't care that much about PC gaming and discrete GPUs don't serve me any other purpose. If anything, I might even be concerned about more noise, power draw, and heat with the higher-end cards.

And no, I don't intend to spend well over MSRP on a card. Like I said, there are RX 560 cards actually in-stock at the $110 MSRP right now on Amazon, but I'll wait for the $120 4GB ones to be back (maybe even 570 for ~$170) unless someone convinces me that won't happen for more than a few months; I haven't been following mining at all so I have no idea what's going on with the supply and demand

NOA_Haunted

I upgraded from the GTX 770 I bought when I built my PC in late 2013. to a GTX 1070. I wish I would of spent the extra ~150ish extra and bought a GTX 1080.

But, I also really need to a new CPU (hopefully for Christmas) which could improve my performance.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: NOA_Haunted on July 09, 2017, 10:28:21 PM
But, I also really need to a new CPU (hopefully for Christmas) which could improve my performance.

feel free to make a thread and we'll do our best to give a recommendation based on your needs lol

Kalahari Inkantation

so it seems the value my entire pc has significantly appreciated since it was built over a year ago lol

i paid $29 for my single stick of ram

today that same stick, for which i no longer have any use, is worth $64

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231963

and my gpu, for which i paid $275, is today worth ~$400 used, thanks to the cryptocurrency meme

If I were to sell the two of those components at market value, I'd be no more than $250 away from a 1080ti. befuddlement

Go Up