We have expanded to 45 awards. (PLEASE NOMINATE)

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, June 24, 2017, 11:16:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

Should we incorporate the following 12 awards into the 32 we already have?

Yes
5 (71.4%)
No
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

June 24, 2017, 11:16:10 PM Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 08:17:18 PM by Majorana's Mask
Here are the 12 I wish to add to our current 32:

QuoteEmote of the Year   - 4 (2.4%)

The Roller Coaster of Quota Award for Most Inconsistent Activity   - 4 (2.4%)

Most Diligent Noposter   - 4 (2.4%)

Split "Best New Meme" into "Best New Boyah Meme" and "Best New Non-Boyah Meme"   - 4 (2.4%)

Cutest Boyah Couple   - 3 (1.8%)

Best Current Username   - 3 (1.8%)

Most Argumentative   - 3 (1.8%)

Most Stressed Out   - 2 (1.2%)

Deadliest Boyager   - 3 (1.8%)

Manliest Boyager   - 4 (2.4%)

Most Feminine Boyager   - 2 (1.2%)

Worst Attempt at Being Funny   - 4 (2.4%)

My reasoning is as follows:

1. Most of these are, in my opinion, good categories, with non-obvious winners. They are the most popular of the reasonable category nominations behind the 10 that have already been added to the pre-selected 22.

2. The staff alone decided on a full 22 pre-selected awards (~69%), leaving the rest of Boyah to nominate just 10 awards (~31%). I argue that all of non-staff Boyah deserves a more even say than that. I believe 22:22 would be more fair, and that would bring us up to 44.

3. There are valid reasons for culling the number of categories this year, but I personally think that as few as 30 is simply too extreme. We have never nearly had so few categories in the history of the Boyah awards. Even 44 would be on the low end.

4. I alone will assume all addition work associated with the extra 12 awards if need be.

Videographers, consider whether you can handle an additional ~3 awards per video (about 8.8 categories/video vs. about 6).

I expressly forbid the deletion or modification of this topic by any other staff members. Anyone who disagrees with the existence of this poll or any conclusions that may be reached within it may voice their concerns here.

As we are pressed for time, it is of critical importance that we get as many votes as possible as quickly as possible on this matter. This poll will remain open for no more than 32 hours.

Hiro

I don't know why 30 seems so small to you goonish

Kalahari Inkantation

And I don't quite understand why 30 is your hard limit. Like I said, it seems like an arbitrary cap.

Hiro

I've wanted to keep the awards slimmed down this year, and feel that 44 especially is needlessly large. I find that the 32 awards we have would make for a better video. You're forgetting in your math that 10 nominated categories made the cut due to a tie. Also, you are only picking awards you want here, which is unfair. The 12 categories that would be added if any would be the following:

Most Likely to Have Their Pants Pulled Down and Their Bare Bottom Spanked
Shaq-Fu Award for Least Necessary Boyah Revival
Least Anime
Most Lost Boyager
Most Likely to Fart Into Their Own Hand and then Smell Their Hand
Emote of the Year
The Roller Coaster of Quota Award for Most Inconsistent Activity
Most Diligent Noposter
Split "Best New Meme" into two awards: "Best Boyah Meme" and "Best New Non-Boyah Meme"
Manliest Boyager
Worst Attempt at Being Funny
Best Boyah Meetup

These all have at least 4 votes, which is a really low threshold. Picking categories that only two or people voted for because you want them would be the same as the pre-selecting I did, which negates your whole point about letting the rest of Boyah choose. If the poll ends up in your favor, I don't see why it wouldn't be the 12 I mentioned.
Also if we're talking an arbitrary cap, how is 44 any different? Why not choose ones that received at least 5 votes, leaving us to add:

Least Anime
Most Lost Boyager

for a total of 37 awards.

Again, you're the only person to complain about this, though if anyone else has an issue with a limit of 32, or having 22 of those pre-selected, this would be the time and place to do so.

Hiro

In fact, with those you've selected it would still be ~64% staff-selected, while at least with the 12 I posted it would be 50/50

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: ƕɾο on June 24, 2017, 11:34:10 PM
I've wanted to keep the awards slimmed down this year, and feel that 44 especially is needlessly large. I find that the 32 awards we have would make for a better video. You're forgetting in your math that 10 nominated categories made the cut due to a tie. Also, you are only picking awards you want here, which is unfair.

the users at least had some input in choosing the ones i'm making an effort to save

The 12 categories that would be added if any would be the following:

Least Anime
Most Lost Boyager
Emote of the Year
The Roller Coaster of Quota Award for Most Inconsistent Activity
Most Diligent Noposter
Split "Best New Meme" into two awards: "Best Boyah Meme" and "Best New Non-Boyah Meme"
Manliest Boyager
Worst Attempt at Being Funny
Best Boyah Meetup

5/12 of these are in my curated list

and my curated list excludes the other 7 because they are, for the most part, either redundant or imo unreasonable

These all have at least 4 votes, which is a really low threshold.

we almost certainly lost some votes as a result of server instability during the voting process

also, does your number include my late vote

Also if we're talking an arbitrary cap, how is 44 any different?

honestly, i would add even more

i have restrained myself to 44 because you insist on minimizing the awards

but 32, with 22 decided by one person, is simply too few

Why not choose ones that received at least 5 votes, leaving us to add:

Least Anime
Most Lost Boyager

again, these are all either redundant or imo unreasonable

Again, you're the only person to complain about this, though if anyone else has an issue with a limit of 32, or having 22 of those pre-selected, this would be the time and place to do so.

i'm the only other person with any formally defined role in the 2017 awards process

though if anyone else has an issue with a limit of 32, or having 22 of those pre-selected, this would be the time and place to do so.

yes, please do voice your own opinions

Mando Pandango

just add any awards i might be considered for thanks
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: ƕɾο on June 24, 2017, 11:48:26 PM
In fact, with those you've selected it would still be ~64% staff-selected, while at least with the 12 I posted it would be 50/50

i did not create most of those 12 awards myself

ten of them were nominated by the users

only two of them were nominated by me

i merely elected to save the ones that seem, in my opinion, most reasonable

Hiro

June 25, 2017, 12:02:23 AM #8 Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:09:46 AM by ???
Quote from: Majorana's Mask on June 24, 2017, 11:48:38 PM
5/12 of these are in my curated list
is that supposed to be a good number? I guarantee the vast majority of those I pre-selected would end up in the awards anyway, which is why I pre-selected them. I did it so we're not wasting time on nominating things like Best Boyager. In fact, the list was created based entirely on awards that were nominated or made the cut in previous years. You're making it out as if I just picked a bunch I wanted because I wanted them, when that largely is not the case.

and my curated list excludes the other 7 because they are, for the most part, either redundant or imo unreasonable
the only one I have any problem with is "Most Lost" because it is redundant. The rest are fine.

we almost certainly lost some votes as a result of server instability during the voting process
which is why I gave more time, per your suggestion. However, I can't keep postponing things as we have deadlines for a reason. I am not going to let the Boyah Awards take 5 months under my watch.

also, does your number include my late vote
no, because you had plenty of opportunities to vote, and chose not to. I included two of your votes anyway, when I shouldn't have to.

i'm the only other person with any formally defined role in the 2017 awards process
again, what does this have to do with anything, bitching on boyah is not a right given solely to awards staff goonish in fact, that's primarily what the Awards Discussion thread is for.

Hiro

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: ƕɾο on June 25, 2017, 12:10:56 AM
Quote from: Majorana's Mask on June 24, 2017, 11:59:45 PM
i did not create most of those 12 awards myself
which of the 22 did I create

let me reword my previous post: i was not the sole decision maker on any but 2 of those 12

those 22, however, did have one sole decision maker

i take no issue with that, you are our only volunteer mod

but i do think your 22 vs. everyone else's 10 is 1. too few and 2. overwhelmingly one-sided

YPrrrr

Idk I would kind of like more categories to vote on yeah

A lot of those categories kind of suck tho ig. Idk is be fine with adding 10 or even just 5. Or zero. Whatever. I wanted to nominate thyme for something cuz he's cool af but I can't find a category atm

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: ƕɾο on June 25, 2017, 12:02:23 AM
I can't keep postponing things as we have deadlines for a reason. I am not going to let the Boyah Awards take 5 months under my watch.

and i'm not at all suggesting that you do this, we do indeed have finite time

i am only suggesting that the total number of categories be expanded

Quote from: ƕɾο on June 25, 2017, 12:02:23 AM
again, what does this have to do with anything, bitching on boyah is not a right given solely to awards staff goonish in fact, that's primarily what the Awards Discussion thread is for.

i now finally understand your point here

if i had to guess, it's because nobody felt they had any right to question your authority as the sole volunteer mod

i would argue that everyone has a right to voice their say, within reason, on the boyah awards

precisely because they are the boyah awards

they should not have to be overwhelmingly under the control of a single person

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: YPargh on June 25, 2017, 12:17:46 AM
Idk I would kind of like more categories to vote on yeah

then plz vote as such, i'm willing to consider other categories

Quote from: YPargh on June 25, 2017, 12:17:46 AM
A lot of those categories kind of suck tho ig. Idk is be fine with adding 10 or even just 5. Or zero. Whatever. I wanted to nominate thyme for something cuz he's cool af but I can't find a category atm

so feel free to make your suggestions

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Pop"icl...!Pop"icl...!Pop"icl...! on June 24, 2017, 11:58:02 PM
just add any awards i might be considered for thanks

if you vote,  you may or may not end up with 14 new categories for which you can be considered girl;

Go Up