How should we go about the voting process?

Started by Hiro, June 08, 2017, 11:36:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Which method would be best?

Google Forms
0 (0%)
Boyah
4 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Go Down

Hiro

I have been debating this for a while now. When it finally comes to voting for each of the award winners, should we use the traditional method of having a thread & poll for each category, or should I make a Google Forms survey that would have every category all on one page? For me, this would have the added benefit of making the process faster and giving me all the results without having to compile them. Plus, I believe I would be able to get additional statistics on who won the most awards, who came closest to winning, etc. The downside would be a board with far less going on, and would not be all done on Boyah, meaning that we couldn't go back and look at all the polls, other staff couldn't see results, etc.

YPrrrr

Daddy

I don't like form because in the past some members thought it'd be funny to spam them with irrelevant bs

e.g. my attempted demographics survey

Hiro

Quote from: Khadafi on June 09, 2017, 10:23:24 AM
I don't like form because in the past some members thought it'd be funny to spam them with irrelevant bs

e.g. my attempted demographics survey
this is something I hadn't thought of and a good reason not to use

Kalahari Inkantation

agreed, that method could be a fine alternative if only the abuse potential weren't so high

however,

Quote from: ƕɾο on June 08, 2017, 11:36:39 PM
Plus, I believe I would be able to get additional statistics on who won the most awards, who came closest to winning, etc.

you could still do this

it just wouldn't be automatic

Hiro

I'm playing around with Google Forms right now, and there is an option to require Google sign-in and allow for only one response per account (that can be edited after submitting)
while that wouldn't entirely stop someone from entering multiple times, I doubt someone is going to create extra google accounts to win an award, and seeing as I would receive a log of all accounts participating, i would likely be able to see if anyone was cheating

Kalahari Inkantation

suggestion: ask all members what they'd prefer in a lobby poll

ultimately it's about maximizing user participation, and so imo our decision on this particular issue should be reached democratically

Daddy

I'm fine with forms if if you're willing to weed out obviously fake or spammed results.

THough with our activity now being like 20 maximum active members it's probably easier to manage than the 50-100 before

rdl

the only way to find out is to do a longitudinal diary study

Hiro

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on June 10, 2017, 07:10:40 AM
suggestion: ask all members what they'd prefer in a lobby poll

ultimately it's about maximizing user participation, and so imo our decision on this particular issue should be reached democratically
if they want to be involved in this step of the process they can check the board, if they're not looking at the boyah awards board then they likely don't care
I will post reminders from time to time in the lobby, though it would be nice if one of us could update the bulletin board with awards status
but ultimately this part is my decision, I just want to see what others think on the matter
I would like to do Forms but it's not "tradition" and has a higher potential for abuse. Though I don't think it would affect much, it's still a concern.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

just make the threads like weve done before

strongbad

im all for streamlining with forms

i dont know how indepth you can make forms but can you make it invite only or something and give each active member one invite? prob not lol

YPrrrr

Hiro

FAMY2

Is this why it takes so long to do the awards?

Don't over think what people will do or not do. No matter who wins people know what they think and tend to not believe the results any ways.

Go Up