March 28, 2024, 10:28:59 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

new s*itphone needed

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, June 04, 2017, 12:00:25 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Hiro

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on July 16, 2017, 06:44:30 PM
i failed at screen protector application for the first time today myself

but that's because the s8 has a curved screen and the case i have on it causes the rigid protector to pop right off after a minute or so myface;

what a waste of $5

however, i've applied glass screen protectors to many phones with flat displays before, and that isn't too hard imo
oh i didn't know you got the s8
I forgot that screen protector's don't work on curved glass though, shit
might need to rethink if the s8 should be my next phone

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: ƕɾο on July 17, 2017, 09:24:40 PM
Quote from: Majorana's Mask on July 16, 2017, 06:44:30 PM
i failed at screen protector application for the first time today myself

but that's because the s8 has a curved screen and the case i have on it causes the rigid protector to pop right off after a minute or so myface;

what a waste of $5

however, i've applied glass screen protectors to many phones with flat displays before, and that isn't too hard imo
oh i didn't know you got the s8
I forgot that screen protector's don't work on curved glass though, shit
might need to rethink if the s8 should be my next phone

well the reason i ultimately couldn't apply the protector is because the case i use has a slight rim that keeps the display from ever directly touching any flat surface anyway

so there's already a bit of screen protection built in, and now the only concern is if a speck of sand or smth gets dragged across it

a cheap flexible plastic protector would be enough to prevent that from happening, if you're truly worried (although of course those aren't as premium-feeling as the glass ones)

but basically i think with the right case and maybe a flexible protector, you can mitigate display damage concerns well enough

and if you don't use any case at all (or maybe use one that isn't rimmed around the display), then a tempered glass protector would still work

Quote from: antmaster5000 on July 17, 2017, 05:50:19 PM
Quote from: Majorana's Mask on July 17, 2017, 04:48:44 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/android-is-for-poor-people-maps-2014-4

only the rich can afford a really overpriced phone. who woulda known

those are nonsense articles lol

of course iphone ownership would correlate with wealth since the iphone is sold in a handful of high-priced configurations, while android covers the entire spectrum of prices from $10 to $1000

every other stat that follows is a consequence of that

bluaki

July 28, 2017, 09:54:33 PM #93 Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 09:57:57 PM by bluaki
I decided to go ahead and buy a pixel phone lol

I really can't wait another at least 3-4 months for the pixel 2 to even release, and especially not even longer for the ability to actually buy it since I'll probably miss the preorders thanks to working in a place without any internet access every day and google always being awful at supply

and I can further justify not waiting with the fact that pixel 2 is basically confirmed to lose the headphone jack and be a bit bigger (for the same screen size) and even more overpriced, though tbh I'd probably like the front-facing speakers and waterproofing enough to justify those tradeoffs if I didn't have to wait

whether I want it or not, it seems I'm getting a Google Home, since there's a current promotion that gives me a free one when I order a Pixel phone

anyway, my Nexus 5X has taken a beating, the last straw that prompted me to do this is that I noticed a couple days ago that the camera glass is flaking off, and having to uninstall a few apps every time I want to download something (like most recently the new Layton game). I've never dropped my other phones that I had before this, but this one keeps falling out of my pockets (and always onto the road in a parking lot) since I wear girl clothes now and pockets suck and this thing is too big. The screen's glass has multiple cracks (though the LCD is fine) and the camera's not just cracked but also chipped (but the pictures look fine). I started carrying a bag with me all the time so this won't happen anymore.

[spoiler]I hope my hand doesn't cover the speakers on the bottom of this phone when I play love live without headphones myface;[/spoiler]

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: bluaki on July 28, 2017, 09:54:33 PM
I decided to go ahead and buy a pixel phone lol

what did you pay for it

have you liked it so far y/n

Quote from: bluaki on July 28, 2017, 09:54:33 PM
and I can further justify not waiting with the fact that pixel 2 is basically confirmed to lose the headphone jack

absolute lel

google is so pathetic

the original pixel's entire ad campaign was centered around the fact that it had a headphone jack with jabs at the iphone for abandoning it, and now look at what we have here

I'm glad to see you've freed yourself of the 5X's oppressively bad hardware design and specs. girl;

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11540/samsung-galaxy-s8-exynos-versus-snapdragonBetween these two, however, across all of the tests I've run, the S835 model is certainly the better of the two in terms of those metrics.

...Huh. befuddlement

that's quite a surprise

bluaki

August 10, 2017, 10:07:47 PM #96 Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:11:21 PM by bluaki
Quote from: Majorana's Mask on August 03, 2017, 05:20:36 PM
what did you pay for it

have you liked it so far y/n
as of the time I ordered it, the phone hasn't had a single price drop since it launched iirc

I paid $750+tax for the small 128GB model, but at least there was a promotion that gave me a Google Home ($130 MSRP) for free with it. I definitely wouldn't buy a Google Home if it wasn't free so the added value is pretty small to me.

If I waited two weeks I would've gotten it for $625. Oh well. That would basically mean subtracting the price of Google Home instead of getting a free one.

I like it so far. It performs well and has plenty of space. The screen looks nice. The circle icons bug me; you can't even change it to normal icons with a third party launcher. It sadly doesn't feel any smaller than my 5X.

Kalahari Inkantation

have you found any practical uses for google home at all lol befuddlement

bluaki

August 11, 2017, 09:04:03 PM #98 Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:08:35 PM by bluaki
Quote from: Majorana's Mask on August 11, 2017, 04:17:32 PM
have you found any practical uses for google home at all lol befuddlement
mine hasn't gotten the update for this feature yet, but apparently it'll soon be able to function as a fairly nice bluetooth speaker I guess. It's a Cast speaker too but the latency on that is awful for local audio sources. Another useful feature coming soon is using it for phone calls as a pretty nice speakerphone.

idk I guess being able to do unit conversions (because customary units suck) and set timers without my hands could have a tiny bit of use in cooking

otherwise no, not really. 100% of the use it's gotten so far is just me trying to mess around to see what it can do.

as nifty as something like "play <video name> from YouTube on my Chromecast" may seem, it's kinda useless if you aren't Feeling Lucky. I don't have any IoT devices so it's not like I'll use it to control any of those. I don't listen to real music (as in anything Google Play Music actually has) so none of the music features really make sense for me either.

Hiro

what exactly felt cheap about the os???

Kalahari Inkantation

personally, i don't mind the s8's skin at all (at least not enough to spend hundreds more on an iphone or pixxxel), and you always have the option to use an alternative launcher or replace samsung's apps with google's

Samus Aran

im thinking about getting a Pixel through Google and using their Project Fi. the actual phone plan will save me a lot of money tbh and Pixels seem pretty nice i think. but im not sure if i would get a Pixel 2 yet, ive heard they're having some post-launch issues rn

Hiro

yeah don't get a pixel 2
the Essential phone is pretty cheap nowadays if i recall correctly
also just found out about Mint SIM which is super cheap and has a holiday deal if you want cheap phone service.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Rin Hoshizora on December 20, 2017, 09:26:58 PM
im thinking about getting a Pixel through Google and using their Project Fi. the actual phone plan will save me a lot of money tbh and Pixels seem pretty nice i think. but im not sure if i would get a Pixel 2 yet, ive heard they're having some post-launch issues rn

what did you end up getting y/n

Quote from: ƕɾο on December 21, 2017, 09:07:49 AM
the Essential phone is pretty cheap nowadays if i recall correctly

RIP

Kalahari Inkantation

also i only just finished transferring all my data from my old phone onto my current one yesterday lol

god damn android for still not having a proper, complete backup solution in the year of our lord 201X

Go Up