May 20, 2024, 01:03:55 AM

1,531,628 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Nintendo Switch Discussion

Started by Hiro, October 20, 2016, 01:05:58 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

TooB

that controlller looks a bit uncomfortable

C.Mongler

Quote from: Commander Fuckass on October 20, 2016, 08:19:00 AM
so is it Nintendo's version of the OUYA...I dont get it

i mean i get having gripes with it, but i can't make sense of this analogy on any level besides "I THINK IT WILL FAIL" in which case you could just say it's a Wii U 2 which would actually make sense lol

-not developed by an indie manufacturer
-doesn't run on android (as far as we know)
-probably isn't $99
-has actual recognizable and established software titles
-is portable
-wasn't kickstarted

+might have early adopters who are blind morons i guess???

Quote from: Snowy on October 20, 2016, 09:05:49 AM
I can't wait to never take it out of the base/stand for it.

i can't wait to never put it into the stand  hocuspocus;

squirrelfriend

Mando Pandango

the tiny mini-controllers look super uncomfortable. like a sideways wiimote is bad enough

looks cool otherwise tho
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

C.Mongler

Quote from: squirrelfriend on October 20, 2016, 11:17:41 AM
this is literally the vita 2.0
vita rules so i'm ok with this assessment

Hiro

Quote from: squirrelfriend on October 20, 2016, 11:17:41 AM
this is literally the vita 2.0
kind of a mix between the vita, wii u gamepad, and nvidia shield so yeah

Quote from: Pop"icl...!Pop"icl...!Pop"icl...! on October 20, 2016, 11:19:14 AM
the tiny mini-controllers look super uncomfortable. like a sideways wiimote is bad enough

looks cool otherwise tho
yeah agreed.
also I'll post here what I posted on facebook:

I think of it more as a gaming tablet with controller(s) with a lot of console-ness so it's not really a portable and not really a normal console. i think maybe it's trying not to compete as much with the ps4 or xbone as it's a totally different category or device, though it could have a few multiplat titles on it to bring in that audience. I do hope it plays 3ds games, though it's unlikely
i'm also thinking it has roughly near-xbone-ish levels of power (probably a tad below but perhaps enough to get at least some multiplat games)
we're thinking, what, 6 inch screen, maybe 1080 resolution?? Unsure if it's a touch-screen though. Only complaints are the replacement of a d-pad with separate directional buttons, and the location of that power button NEEDS to change.
also I wonder what happens when the controllers are removed from the screen mid-game

squirrelfriend

I like that they didn't deceptively hide frame rate issues as seen within the first minute when the guy I totally spotted on grindr plays Zelda out of the dock

rdl

i think theyre trying to go for the novelty aspect like they did with the wii. sort of like the hoverboard. just something you buy, mess around with, and come back to every now and then. it's not a super serious console, idk it feels like a toy if anything.

idk what im trying to say.

Hiro

oh wait the power button is along the top
i wonder what that button is underneath the directional buttons on the left joycon

rdl

to whoever was discussion console design structure, i think it was thyme i dont remember, if you can make it into this thread without the website crashing how would you describe the switch? i think it looks pretty good, but i would probably just call it modern idk.

C.Mongler

its not going to be nearly on par with a vanilla bone/ps4 honestly. in fact it might even be slightly less capable than a wii u tbh

[youtube]9XzIZWO1qdg[/youtube]

which i personally think is fine, since for a handheld/tablet, it's still pretty damn great looking. it's possible the dock provides extra power or cooling which might crank up it's gpu a tad, but it's not going to drastically change anything honestly. but like you said, i think nintendo has thrown their towel in for the console race. they know people have adopted their "next gen" console of choice at this point, their competitors are already releasing 'upgrade' consoles, they dont really have a cart in the race. so they're focusing on the handheld market now, which who knows how that will go

TooB

The only two things I have to say about this thing really are

-The controller is kinda ass. I'll see myself using the "Pro" variant that they showed a bit.

-The fact that it's carts just handicaps them even more in keeping up with Sony and Msft.
But if it's like C. Mongler said, and they are just kind of assuming the handheld market thing, then I guess it's fine.

But it just makes me wonder if they put something huge on this thing, like the next bethesda game or something, will they have to do multi-cart releases?

Coming soon: Elder Scrolls 6, on 3 Switch carts!

Nyerp

C.Mongler

Solid state media isn't that expensive anymore (well it's way more than discs but compared to the n64 days at least) so it's possible they will have a 32 gb or even 64 gb maximum for the cards, which would negate the need for multicart games.

Funny enough though, Bethesda put out a statement today saying that while they are actively working with Nintendo currently, they haven't announced Skyrim for the Switch at all yet lmao. It'd be fucking hilarious if it's some shit Elder Scrolls Travels Skyrim spinoff and not an actual port, or even just nothing at all!!!

TooB

Quote from: C.Mongler on October 20, 2016, 03:06:27 PM
Solid state media isn't that expensive anymore (well it's way more than discs but compared to the n64 days at least) so it's possible they will have a 32 gb or even 64 gb maximum for the cards, which would negate the need for multicart games.

yeah, i thought of this as well.
I figure they can probably store lots of data, much like a flash drive or something, but still, it makes me wonder

Go Up