April 24, 2024, 11:15:04 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Distancing from Video Games

Started by 6M69I69B9, July 14, 2016, 02:55:00 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

6M69I69B9

July 14, 2016, 02:55:00 AM Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 03:52:53 PM by the MIB the
Any of you boyos (probably the wrong community to bring this up to) been contemplating about just...moving on from video games (entirely/for the most part/a bit)? Or have at any point?

[spoiler=Personal reflection on gaming.]
First off, I actually never really was into anything but Nintendo and PC (well, anything that my 2009 low-end laptop can play).  So that pretty much distanced myself from most games, and with the Wii U line-up being shit, I just had more time to do other things.  Like go outside or focus on other hobbies- even if I end up alone most of the time- I feel like I'm using my time more wisely.  

I had a lot of trouble regarding moderation with gaming- it's probably my second-worst addiction aside from Internet browsing.  

I think I'm going to focus on my addiction in the past to MMORPG's and f2p games with p2w aspects, because they've consumed a huge portion of my life.  Been playing MMORPG's for more than a decade and although I take a month to a half year hiatuses, I find myself coming back to the same grind when I already know what I'm getting to.  Spending nights to dawn grinding for stupid shit.  Probably spent more than enough money on stupid cosmetic shit and RNG based reinforcing weapons, membership, etc.  I'm so sick of that shit.  Stupid me for falling into the Korean MMORPG meme mid-late 2000s (also, fuck Nexon, Jesus Christ).  I definitely know what it's like to grind and go through RNG bullshit (especially if there's p2w bs), and I'm just not having it anymore.  I get addicted to shit so easily, especially when it's RNG-related.  I mean I can suppress it, but with gaming, I just go wild.  

A month ago- I was pretty much free from all ties to any MMORPG.  Though...

I have this friend, much more into gaming than me, and we only played YGO with each other so I guess we just tried to find some other game to get ourselves into so we just have more to talk about on top of what we usually chat about.  I started playing Hearthstone, and man, imo, that game is pure shit.  The more I got frustrated at how bullshit it is to turn the tables (even more than YGO) I kept on reflecting, "What am I actually doing getting deeper into this shit?  I know RNG is bullshit, why did I just drop $40 in my first week on this game?"  I mean I know you can get packs without paying, but it's just at such a slow rate I'd rather not as I'm a pretty impatient person- especially when it comes at the expense of my leisure.  It's just who I am.  Today I played it and been playing basic aggro decks as a Paladin/Hunter with a Darkshire/Face Hunter deck respectively, and kept on getting shit on with lower ranks.  And even when I'd win, I'd feel like shit because I felt like all my moves were still bullshit clutch RNG shit and that's not how I want to win (well, unless it's YGO, I don't mind it for some reason, even when I lose I don't feel as terrible).  Maybe Hearthstone wasn't for me, so to stop the habit from growing and reflecting on how I am towards RNG based games, I uninstalled it despite spending a decent chunk out of my wallet not too long ago.  Besides, I'd have to play the game everyday for a bit like a retractable leash to get what I want eventually, and I'm done rebounding to games like that.  No different than Daily/Limited quests for MMORPG's.

Anyway, to focus on more traditional video games.

A few months ago, I finished my backlog of games I've always wanted to play- the last of them were: Hotel Dusk 215 and Last Window: Secret of the Cape West.  I honestly did not know what I was getting myself into, and man, after finishing them, I felt a yearning for more- something I haven't felt in a long time towards any video game- although I guess it is much less of a game and rather a "visual novel."  But it also inspired me...to work on my own series- a graphic novel I've been dying to make for a long time.  For some reason, this game just made me reflect how done I am with games with predictable game-play, gimmicks, plots with abused-to-death tropes and cliches.  I'm done playing other people's work...mostly.  Although I've had a limited library of games I could access- I felt like I've already played them all.  Though I probably will be shit on for saying that because I've only had access to PC games that can work with my low spec laptop and Nintendo consoles.  But w/e lol.  

The only games I probably won't ever ditch, are just main line Pokémon games (I'll just wait for second-hands for future Nintendo handhelds) for the sake of love for the Pokemon series, YGO (though, I probably will stop collecting but still keep the Decks I already have), Smash Bros., and lol Runescape- even if I've done most of what I wanted to do in there- I have a few more things I want to accomplish.  I'll probably still watch some of my favorite streams on Twitch in the background while doing other shit, especially if there's a major SSB tourney going on.  So, I probably won't be done with video gaming entirely.  But I sure as hell am done with most of it.  
[/spoiler]
Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

strongbad

hmm i can kind of relate to what you're talking about. i think you just need to learn to game in a "productive" way. what do you want out of gaming in particular? instead of grinding on pointless games for short term satisfaction really think about what will give you greater satisfaction in the long term. sounds like you've kind of already figured it out, though.

there was a phase where i was burnt out of smash but had tied my social life into the melee scene too much and i was worried that i would have no friends if i "got out." i started to enjoy it more when i stopped taking it so seriously and stopped beating myself up after tough losses.

i dont really know why i suddenly like roguelikes/lites so much. originally it was because i would play them at the same time as a good friend and it was fun trying to get farther than him, but it's turned into more of a compulsion where i play DCSS for at least 2 hours/day and dont really have anyone to talk to about it

so idk if it wasn't gaming i would be into some other hobby, and i've found that the more that i've taken being a "gamer" out of my identity the more i like myself. i think i still game as much as i did back in highschool- now i am just more confident in what i like and what i don't like about video games (and life in general i guess)

squirrelfriend

I rather play with a man's joystick than play another game

C.Mongler

i feel like i have the opposite problem where i am unintentionally distancing from video games but i would prefer to play them for 12 hours a day.

i can't even sit down and focus on a game for more than like an hour at a time

6M69I69B9

Quote from: antmaster5000 on July 14, 2016, 05:49:28 AM
there was a phase where i was burnt out of smash but had tied my social life into the melee scene too much and i was worried that i would have no friends if i "got out." i started to enjoy it more when i stopped taking it so seriously and stopped beating myself up after tough losses.

im kinda like that with one of my good friends- it's like we've exhausted everything we'd talk about and gaming was the only thing that could strengthen it but lol ofc i got out of that shit sooner than expected.  it sucks that i get along with someone so great- yet can't enjoy it much because there's no constant thing we can discuss about together.  i mean you don't really need to have something in common to be good friends with someone but it helps a lot

i dont really know why i suddenly like roguelikes/lites so much. originally it was because i would play them at the same time as a good friend and it was fun trying to get farther than him, but it's turned into more of a compulsion where i play DCSS for at least 2 hours/day and dont really have anyone to talk to about it

im like that with many games.  seeking out the community of the game definitely helps if you want to share that compulsion with other ppl idk just suggesting.

so idk if it wasn't gaming i would be into some other hobby, and i've found that the more that i've taken being a "gamer" out of my identity the more i like myself. i think i still game as much as i did back in highschool- now i am just more confident in what i like and what i don't like about video games (and life in general i guess)

same, i mostly just want to do my own art & writing projects.  the more i work on art concepts and writing rather than just playing other people's work (i get some inspiration and enjoyment from other's ppl stuff, but i mean just not completely dwelling in it like how i have been doing), i just feel so much better.  i will be more strict with my interest in games,.  i realize more than ever now for some reason, that i need to value my time much more.   

Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

6M69I69B9

Quote from: C.Mongler on July 14, 2016, 12:10:06 PM
i feel like i have the opposite problem where i am unintentionally distancing from video games but i would prefer to play them for 12 hours a day.

i can't even sit down and focus on a game for more than like an hour at a time

what is keeping you from video gaming aside from work anyway, unless work is the main reason

just wondering

C.Mongler

eh work is a big part, but so is my relationship, taking care of my dog, commuting, and then i generally take hours a day just sitting around worrying about whatever because i have. i pretty much have only 40 hours of free time a week, and i spend like 25 of that doing other shit

if i got my anxiety in check i'd probably be more efficient at least; i could sit down and play a game instead of just stare into space and worry for an hour

Samus Aran

pretty much ever since 2010 or so i've repeatedly gone in and out of phases where i don't really play games much at all, and in the past year or two these phases seem to have gotten more pervasive (or just longer maybe)

i blame it on two things: cyclical depression and balancing too many hobbies at once

i could try to blame it on work but tbh i tend to waste my time off so i'm not really sure work is a legit excuse. though i guess if i did have more free time i would technically at least be more likely to pop a game in

i'm not too worried though because i always come back to games eventually and when i do play them i play them a lot.

C.Mongler

Quote from: Sakura Kinomoto on July 15, 2016, 11:28:37 AM
i could try to blame it on work but tbh i tend to waste my time off so i'm not really sure work is a legit excuse.

yeah kaz put it more eloquently than i did; it feels like work/life responsibilities are my main problem but i think in actuality i just waste a lot of my free time on doing unproductive things

strongbad

i love how gaming is considered a productive thing in this thread
i feel the same way- i'll feel accomplished if i actually get myself to play something interesting.

Samus Aran

Quote from: antmaster5000 on July 15, 2016, 07:31:57 PM
i feel the same way- i'll feel accomplished if i actually get myself to play something interesting.

well i mean i consider any progress in my hobbies to be productive

strongbad

Quote from: Sakura Kinomoto on July 15, 2016, 09:49:21 PM
Quote from: antmaster5000 on July 15, 2016, 07:31:57 PM

well i mean i consider any progress in my hobbies to be productive

yeah i feel the same way- it is just not a viewpoint that many people in my life would understand outside of boyah/nerdy friends
i guess people just aren't very understanding

i wonder if ill get heavy back into gaming once i have a good gaming pc, or if it'll just be another thing that gives me access to way more games that i barely take advantage of

??????

my mom threw my vidya out when i was 11
i tried to get into it but i keep getting disenchanted cos i learn quick
also because everything seems easier and i don't wanna pay 60$ for a 6 hour game with low replay value

strongbad

Quote from: اÙ,,Ù,رÙ,Ø© on July 15, 2016, 11:49:04 PM
my mom threw my vidya out when i was 11
i tried to get into it but i keep getting disenchanted cos i learn quick
also because everything seems easier and i don't wanna pay 60$ for a 6 hour game with low replay value

you aren't playing the right games if that's the case
if you really want games that will challenge you then you just gotta look and stop playing AAA bullshit

??????

what are those games:()
Ive been out of the loop for so long i don't know anything anymore its scary

Go Up