March 28, 2024, 01:58:53 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

what does boyah think of this pc build

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, June 25, 2016, 03:19:52 AM

previous topic - next topic

y/n

y
1 (100%)
n
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: C.Mongler on July 01, 2016, 07:51:48 AM
i feel like if nvidia shows off a 1060 this month they're gonna fuck the bucket with the launch of that like they did the 1070 & 1080; i bought my 1070 for 80 above MSRP and i got it by constantly refreshing stock sites and subscribing to text "in-stock" notifications lol

honestly the 1070 is a fucking beast though, if you're going to wait i don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to consider one for the extra money once the aftermarket hits MSRP. it'll serve you probably a year or more longer than a 480.

but the 480 is a nice little piece in it's own so it's not that big of a deal tbh, we're talking a difference of like 10-15 FPS at this intersection of gaming, and you could always crossfire another one if u feel like u aint got enuff juice (though that has compatibility issues with some games)

but it actually seems like AMD has their shit together kind of for their launch so maybe it'll be about August when the MSRP aftermarket shit starts springing up on those too

oh i'm sure that if the 1060 is indeed releasing this month it'll be yet another paper launch, especially since their fabrication plants are probably already overwhelmed with 1080/1070 orders

i will admit that the 1070 has been tempting me precisely because it's more future proof, benchmarks suggest that it breezes through absolutely anything thrown at it at 1080p/60fps/ultra, buuut it does also have a $100+ premium over the 480 lol

whereas the 480 can handle almost everything at 1080p/60fps, but certain particularly demanding games still give it some trouble (notably, it barely manages 50fps on the witcher 3 set to ultra, even with hairworks turned off, and the witcher 3 is just a preview of what kind of power future games are likely to require)

imo crossfiring simply isn't worth consideration unless even the most powerful single gpu on the market still isn't enough for one's needs

applications are far better optimized for a single unit, whereas you're lucky if you see any optimization at all for sli/crossfire and so scaling for dual/triple/etc. gpu setups is invariably abysmal

if i am willing to shell out more money for more power i'll just buy a better single gpu lol

i'm still most likely going to just buy a single 8gb 480 since honestly it should be sufficient for my needs the vast majority of the time, but no matter what i still have several weeks before aftermarket cards are available and who knows, there's a small chance i could succumb to nvidia's temptations in that time 5thgrade;

strongbad

Quote from: Tectron on July 01, 2016, 02:13:57 PM
more regrets: i paid $60 for a 240gb ssd, only to find this one sale today:

http://www.frys.com/product/8760721?site=20emailweb070116

480gb for the very same $60, and benchmarks suggest its performance is equal if not marginally superior to that of the model i purchased a few days ago :'(

shit a 480gb ssd would be tight too

oh well lol

Hiro

strongbad

C.Mongler

for some reason i have a weird dream of gutting out like a shit consumer tier early 2000s PC and building a monster rig, like a compaq pressario with a 1080 in it or some shit

everyone would be like dang dude u still use a compaq wtf and i'd be like dawg check out this shit and then i'd boot withcer 3 with hair fx in glorious ultra 150 fps and they'd be like damn compaq yall make some good shit RIP

silvertone

squirrelfriend

Quote from: C.Mongler on July 06, 2016, 08:15:47 AM
for some reason i have a weird dream of gutting out like a shit consumer tier early 2000s PC and building a monster rig, like a compaq pressario with a 1080 in it or some shit

everyone would be like dang dude u still use a compaq wtf and i'd be like dawg check out this shit and then i'd boot withcer 3 with hair fx in glorious ultra 150 fps and they'd be like damn compaq yall make some good shit RIP
i had that computer lmfao

strongbad

that would be sick
early 2000s consumer electronics are so damn ugly lol

C.Mongler

i had that shit IRL too lol in fact the case might be in my parent's attic somewhere....hmmm i can only hope

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: C.Mongler on July 06, 2016, 08:15:47 AM

you should actually do this, that would be rad

Kalahari Inkantation

anyway i'm just about finished putting my pc together, typing from it rn n_n

updates:

Quote from: Tectron on June 30, 2016, 11:12:33 PM
I am an absolute fool for not buying this amazing case the other day when it was just $35. It would have been perfect. awdood;

i did ultimately end up buying this amazing case, but i spent a whole $5 more than i would have had i purchased it when i first discovered it on sale

spoiler: it is HILARIOUSLY oversized for my needs, lol

i knew it was going to be larger than necessary but i didn't realize just how enormous it was until it arrived (btw i picked free 4-7 day shipping and it arrived on my doorstep the next day less than 24h later, thx newegg lol), literally about 66% of my finished pc is empty space

but it simply offered too many features at too attractive a price for me to pass up, petiteness be damned

-5 preinstalled fans
-fan controllers
-four usb ports (2x3.0, 2x2.0), for some stupid reason most other cases in any price range only come with two goonish
-other minor things

so yeah i pretty much didn't have a choice but to buy this but lol is it gargantuan, even slightly bigger than the temporary case i was using

i'll post pics of the finished product in the boyah guts thread

pretty much all that remains now is buying a gpu once the aftermarket 480s (or maybe 1060s) are available at msrp happydood;

in the meantime, i'm using an ancient r7 250 hand-me-down lol

also, note to self: windows file history is suitable for backing up, unsuitable for cloning

Kalahari Inkantation

you know what

fuck; the 480 and fuck; the 1060

guess who just found a brand new r9 fury for $275

i can't wait to see just how much i'm going to regret this

too bad i'm not at home and won't be able to give it a test run until several weeks from now lol

final build: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/xCRdXH

C.Mongler

damn, thats not a bad price at all fam enjoy those tasty frames

ikanaide

Kalahari Inkantation

yeah with the fury's power draw my psu is now concern

pcpartpicker says this system should average 395w/600w but you never want to use >50% of your psu's wattage total

we'll see i guess, if i'm not comfortable with 600w then i can always upgrade

Go Up