March 28, 2024, 06:14:20 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

pcie wireless adaptors

Started by ME##, June 08, 2016, 08:08:45 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

ME##

so, i just came to the realisation that i will probably need one of these bad boys as usb ones are literal cancer so i've pretty much narrowed it down to two options

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106251&cm_re=desktop_wifi_card-_-33-106-251-_-Product

pros:
cheap [right now]

cons:
looks like it was spawned from leftover 90s beige computer plastic intel had laying around somewhere

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320181&cm_re=desktop_wifi_card-_-33-320-181-_-Product

pros:
just look at that heat sink!
and those antennae

cons:
could be mighty expensive if it goes off sale before i decide to buy it

squirrelfriend

this is lit 2005 again
both are ugly because you shouldn't see the antennae
just use hardwire ethernet like normal people

Daddy

I've got the intel one.

The reason why that antenna is so big is because it also has hardware for Bluetooth and Intel's wireless display bullshit.

C.Mongler

i forget which one i have, i think its an intel one; whatever i have never got full strength signal and then had the compounded problem of dropping my internet every 10 minutes or so, so i got power line ethernet adapters yes;

squirrelfriend

Is there anyway i can have a wifi card without a fugly antenna sticking out thx

ME##

Quote from: squirrelfriend on June 08, 2016, 12:42:00 PM
Is there anyway i can have a wifi card without a fugly antenna sticking out thx
yeah if you want shittier signal

Quote from: C.Mongler on June 08, 2016, 12:40:03 PM
i forget which one i have, i think its an intel one; whatever i have never got full strength signal and then had the compounded problem of dropping my internet every 10 minutes or so, so i got power line ethernet adapters yes;
lol well that might have to be in then myface;

C.Mongler

to be fair, i'm pretty sure my combo modem+router is just a piece of shit, or where i'm living where there's like literally 100+ wifi signals all fucking each other might be the issue, not the adapter

see: the sony thread where i'm currently whining about vita remote play being hella choppy

ME##

Quote from: C.Mongler on June 08, 2016, 01:35:16 PM
to be fair, i'm pretty sure my combo modem+router is just a piece of shit, or where i'm living where there's like literally 100+ wifi signals all fucking each other might be the issue, not the adapter

see: the sony thread where i'm currently whining about vita remote play being hella choppy
combination modems+routers are absolute fucking garbage

personal story time:

>calls me at work
>hey the guy at mediacom upgrading the cable says we should get the combo modem+router
>'no'
>gets it anyway

'why is the internet always shit'

C.Mongler

i mean i wasn't using the actual router portion of it at first but it didnt make a flying fuck of a difference so i figured id save myself the 50 cents a month in electricity of having the good router plugged in  and i stopped using it lol

don't let's

I still need one. Been using a usb one wifi adapter but I hate it.

C.Mongler

i have a different intel CHIP on my mobo btw lol tho in googling this i did find lots of people have the random drop out issue with a variety of intel chips n cards  n_u

squirrelfriend

i use the fios router that pulls in the internet from the ont because i'm too lazy to make it a btidge
but it works well surprisingly aside from the lack of QoS settings
It also resets at 2 am though for some reason

Go Up