April 19, 2024, 03:33:49 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

SPAGHETTI WESTERNS!!!

Started by Socks, March 23, 2016, 08:11:15 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Socks

so last year i fell in love with the genera of western movies made during the 60s/70s known as spaghetti westerns!

the plots, the characters, dialogue.
as much the cheap sets and makeup costumes as the settings.
the thrill, the fun, the quirky endings and twists.
simple but complex, history, social commentary.

some of my favorites. i'm always looking out for new jems.

the big gundown
a fistfull of dollars
for a few dollars more
the good the bad and the ugly
the great silence
the mercenary
outlaw jesse wales
once upon a time in the west
day of anger
death rides a horse
django

Samus Aran

i've been doing this thing this month where i watch at least one new (as in just ones i haven't seen before) movie a day, of all sorts of genres, and i have gotten a few westerns in already. one of which is a spaghetti western, and my new favorite one: once upon a time in the west. this movie is absolutely phenomenal. i could go on about it for ages really, but here are a few of my favorite things about it:

-the casting choices. i'm glad clint eastwood turned down the lead role, because i can't imagine anyone other than charles bronson as harmonica. and having henry fonda as a villain instead of a hero makes me wonder why he was always previously typecast as a hero. he's absolutely stellar as frank, baby-blue eyes and catwalk and all. jason robards is also wonderful as cheyenne.

-the long opening sequence at the train station. it manages to be so many things at once, but especially tense.

-ennio morricone's best soundtrack work. especially the main theme and harmonica's theme.

-the way you keep getting little tidbits of harmonica's flashback, only for its full version to be intercut into the the exact, perfect spot: at the high point of the tension created by the penultimate gun duel between harmonica and frank

as far as i can remember, the only other spaghetti westerns i've seen so far are the dollars trilogy. so basically i've only seen sergio leone spaghetti westerns.

Socks

dude sergio corbucci has great ones! the big gun down, the extended version with lee van cleef is outstanding! he plays the hero gunslinger and is so well suited for it. this movie also has one of thr best opening songs and is one my favorite scores by morricone.

also the great silence is another gem. set in the utah snowy mountains with two unforgettable hero/anti hero pairs and one of the most gut wrenching endings ever.

i know it sounds biased, but i'm pretty sure you would like all the movies on my list. for the most part you can find quality versions of all of them online. i would watch em if you can.

silvertone

is the movie Warlock good? the book owns. i never seen it nad kinda dont want  to unless it's good

Socks

which one tone? i love all the ones i listed. they're funny and cool. good music, crazy characters.

silvertone

Quote from: Socks on March 24, 2016, 12:39:17 PM
which one tone? i love all the ones i listed. they're funny and cool. good music, crazy characters.

it's an oakley hall book, masterpiece IMO. the movie stars henry fonda as Clay Blaisedel, released in 1959. that's all i know about it

YPrrrr

Quote from: Sakura Kinomoto on March 23, 2016, 09:39:03 PM

-ennio morricone's best soundtrack work. especially the main theme and harmonica's theme.

This is just the absolute best

Go Up