June 23, 2024, 12:28:04 PM

1,531,270 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Ace Attorney and other VN/Adventure Games

Started by bluaki, March 05, 2016, 10:21:50 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

still have to play the latest ace attorney

as well as ace attorney investigations 2

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: David on March 11, 2016, 01:09:07 PM
i need to play the ds ace attorney games but i wish ds games weren't so ugly on the 3ds :(

fun fact: you can play ds games in their original resolution if you hold start+select while launching the game

ME##

Quote from: Tectron on March 12, 2016, 01:50:45 PM
Quote from: David on March 11, 2016, 01:09:07 PM
i need to play the ds ace attorney games but i wish ds games weren't so ugly on the 3ds :(

fun fact: you can play ds games in their original resolution if you hold start+select while launching the game
t i l

wow great job nintendo truly intuitive

TooB

it's mostly just me, but I don't really think that DS games look that bad on a 3ds screen.

I play DS games on my *new* 3ds xl and they look just fine to me.

are they a bit more pixelated? yes, but its not a drastic difference

bluaki

Quote from: Tectron on March 12, 2016, 01:49:25 PM
still have to play the latest ace attorney

as well as ace attorney investigations 2
imo AAI2 is really great, possibly even my favorite game in the series

Quote from: Loto on March 12, 2016, 04:37:04 PM
it's mostly just me, but I don't really think that DS games look that bad on a 3ds screen.

I play DS games on my *new* 3ds xl and they look just fine to me.

are they a bit more pixelated? yes, but its not a drastic difference
playing DS games on a screen that big is a minor issue (extremely low PPI), but not that bad

The problem with playing DS games on 3DS systems is that the 3DS displays have a different resolution with an awkward scaling factor (125%). Unless you use the Start+Select trick that Tec described (which I didn't even know about until just now), this means DS games should look really blurry.

With bigger pictures, sure, the blurriness from a 125% scale isn't too noticeable, but when you have so few pixels from the start, you definitely lose detail.

Here's a simulated example I just came up with with a DS screenshot I had on-hand:
[spoiler=DS vs 3DS with 125% upscaling]

[/spoiler]

and this is what it looks like zoomed in such that the detail from each pixel is kept unchanged while both images are the same size:
[spoiler=DS on top is zoomed 5x, 3DS on bottom is zoomed 4x]

[/spoiler]

I might be blind enough to details that I sometimes can't tell whether a picture is 720p or 1080p, I might not even notice sometimes the difference between 30fps and 60fps, but it's really hard for me not to immediately notice and be bothered by this blur when trying to play any DS game on any 3DS without that Start+Select trick to disable all upscaling in exchange for a smaller picture.

TooB

Thyme

TooB

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/03/16/release-date-and-other-details-for-zero-time-dilemma-revealed.aspx

"The text-heavy visual novel portions of the previous games will not be in Zero Time Dilemma. Instead, cinematic sequences will replace them."

that really could be good or bad for me, depending on things

bluaki

Zero Time Dilemma also got its first trailer yesterday

[spoiler=English version][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8z9yogpeUA[/youtube][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Japanese version][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Zg5X2Ab6U[/youtube][/spoiler]

It's releasing June 28 in US. Dual-audio support is confirmed.

There's also a new announcement that it'll get a Steam/PC port at a later date (the Steam logo is visible in the Japanese trailer), but not the same day as the Vita/3DS releases. I think it's also been suggested somewhere but not outright confirmed that the first two games are getting ports too.

C.Mongler

FULL V/O'd CUT SCENES? FUCK YEA

i'll try to beat VLR as soon as i can i'm pumped now  wariodood;

bluaki

Quote from: C.Mongler on March 17, 2016, 08:23:01 AM

These particular trailers don't really spoil anything about VLR, but watch out for all other announcements as previous game spoilers are extremely easy to come by.

C.Mongler

Quote from: bluaki on March 17, 2016, 08:55:04 AM
Quote from: C.Mongler on March 17, 2016, 08:23:01 AM

These particular trailers don't really spoil anything about VLR, but watch out for all other announcements as previous game spoilers are extremely easy to come by.

yeah i'm avoiding everything i can, i didn't even watch the trailer tbh lol. the only thing i've read was the kotaku announcement article, which was spoiler free. or at least i think it was; any character or location mentions i either did not recognize or don't remember. it's been about two years since i beat 999, so i've forgotten most of the character names at this point lol

bluaki

The Ace Attorney anime started airing today.

It's faithful to the games, so far showing all of the first case in the first episode. Episode 2 will be part of case 2.
The animation isn't very good, as expected of A-1 Pictures
The opening and ending aren't very good either
The Japan setting is extremely obvious, more than in the games
Unlike the live-action movie, there's no weirdness like courtroom hologram projections
The voice acting is weird: Phoenix's voice is Eren Jaeger. I expected something much deeper.

6M69I69B9

Only VN I'm interested in, is Hotel Dusk & Last Window.

I know Chase is coming in, but I'm gonna assume that those characters featured aren't truly Kyle Hyde and Rachel.  If they are, I'm disappointed with the change.  

Still interested in playing.

Anyway, Hotel Dusk, I feel, has been a game I've longed to play.  Only a week ago I had a random urge to play it, with barely any sense of knowledge of gameplay nor the story.  I bought the game for $10.  

I finished it recently, and in a way, it parallels my life- too long to explain.  And that I need to move on from my "hotel" very soon.  I hold the game very close to my heart.  I'm glad that I didn't play it earlier in my life- it wouldn't have made sense to me compared to what I've been through in recent years.  

Though, I did find it kinda funny that some puzzles seem like they were taken from the backs of cereal boxes.

Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

Go Up