April 27, 2024, 05:57:20 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Force Awakens - THREAD CONTAINS SPOILERS

Started by Samus Aran, December 23, 2015, 11:10:04 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

Walked out before it ended
Was a little too Disney-y and not sensical

Samus Aran

Who walks out of a movie?

Anyway, what I like about Kylo is that we're seeing the development of a villain rather than a villain who's already a stone-cold badass. Abrams said that this trilogy will be as much about Kylo's development as it is about Rey's and Finn's.

ME##

Kylo Ren is really off-putting.  He's an anime-esque villain, incapable of controlling his emotions, unintimidating and has none of the mystique that surrounded Vader also him pulling off his mask multiple times during the film is absolutely weak sauce.  If the filmmakers wanted that to be a dramatic affect, it should have ONLY been used when Han confronted him and tried to bring him back. 

Finn was irrelevant, but I'll admit King is a good lead character and hopefully she gets more screen time as such with Old Luke. 

Commander Fuckass

Quote from: antmaster5000 on December 25, 2015, 08:58:59 AM
I knew you had bad taste but damn.

Too Disney? what in the actual fuck?
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

Commander Fuckass

also that last lightsaber fight was pretty fucking cool

my only gripe with Finn was his "I can't kill anyone wah wah wah" then halfway through the movie he slays Stormtroopers like it's nothing

ME##

Quote from: Commander Fuckass on December 25, 2015, 02:13:30 PM
also that last lightsaber fight was pretty fucking cool

my only gripe with Finn was his "I can't kill anyone wah wah wah" then halfway through the movie he slays Stormtroopers like it's nothing
'I'm a brainwashed child soldier but the first time I see nameless Stormtrooper get shot I completely forget everything and become "good"'

YPrrrr

Very solid movie. Very entertaining.  Well acted. I guess all of my gripes would arise from what I felt to be a lack of originality...

The plot with the starkiller base is a complete rehash

The homages to the original trilogy were fine I guess but a few felt too forced (lol force)

They did not add much of anything musically to the franchise which made me sad. Even Episode I if nothing else gave us the amazing Duel of the Fates. The music for the most part stuck to the older movies' themes.

And I suppose my final complaint is that I would agree with David that Kylo Ren seems like a bit of a bitch. I mean I'm sure we'll get a better backstory in the next movies but for now he just seems like an angsty teen that wants to reject anything his parents/uncle show him. He's not as bad as Hayden Christianson thank god but  still... I wish I knew why he'd go so far as to kill Han other than IM EVIL NOW DAD WHY CANT YOU ACCEPT ME GOSH

But like I said, really enjoyed the movie... great actors, sets, action, mostly good writing, and some decent humor

strongbad

Quote from: Commander Fuckass on December 25, 2015, 02:11:21 PM
Quote from: antmaster5000 on December 25, 2015, 08:58:59 AM
I knew you had bad taste but damn.

Too Disney? what in the actual fuck?

Are you kidding me? So much of the dialogue was cheesy as fuck and really took away from the immersion. Also the character archetypes were straight out of the Disney movies. Especially Finn (which is the disneyiest name) and his mannerisms.

Like when they bring up the death planet hologram or whatever, they decide what to do within 2 minutes based on pure speculation. That's not how large scale operations work. And then Finn is like oh yeah I didn't know what I was doing and han solo is like oh Finn how could you. Yeah no big deal right its not like he just fucked the plan to save the whole galaxy but I guess it doesn't matter because you can tell that the characters already know that things are going to work out because they show no actual saddneas about the impending noom

Idk. Maybe I just dont have the attachment to starwars that most people have, because a lot of these gripea might just be gripes about stawars itself and not the particular movie.

And really DP insulting my taste? Just because I don't like every high budget movie and videogame that is pumped out by mainstream media doesn't mean that I have bad taste. Just means that I'm not a fucking sheep like you who decides to like something just because it's the popular opinion

strongbad

Quote from: Sakura Kinomoto on December 25, 2015, 11:56:01 AM
Who walks out of a movie?

Anyway, what I like about Kylo is that we're seeing the development of a villain rather than a villain who's already a stone-cold badass. Abrams said that this trilogy will be as much about Kylo's development as it is about Rey's and Finn's.

To be fair, I've only walked out of a few movies and I think it might have to do with my attention span. I was also trying to catch the skytrain home since it stops running at midnight and the movie wasn't over by 1145 (if you think the US has a lot of previews go to Thailand) but if anything I felt a sense of relief which gives me no regrets

Samus Aran

also to be fair, a lot of the dialogue in a new hope is cheesy as fuck lol. it has its memorable lines though, more so than the force awakens. this movie was definitely "weak" compared to the original trilogy in terms of writing quality, setpieces, and of course originality. oh, also the score. no new great theme. even the prequel films each have their own original piece that is pretty memorable.

and yeah strongbad i do feel that some of the things you're complaining about are all over the star wars saga, not really just this film

it's been a little while now since i saw this new movie, and more and more i am finding little things to complain about, but i still maintain that it was a great damn movie, and i was overjoyed to finally have another entry in the saga that's actually worth a damn

Commander Fuckass

imo the only two scores that stand out in The Force Awakens are "Rey's Theme" and "Jedi Steps and Finale"

but still a weak soundtrack overall. Rey's theme even feels more Harry Potter-y than Star Wars

strongbad

ME##

My biggest fear is that the sequel will fail to establish anything meaningful in Star Lores thus causing the third instalment to romp in nostalgia laden bullshit like The Force Sleeps.

Commander Fuckass

strongbad

It's funny because you aren't trying to be ironic ;)

Go Up