April 18, 2024, 10:19:24 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Force Awakens - THREAD CONTAINS SPOILERS

Started by Samus Aran, December 23, 2015, 11:10:04 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

DONT EVEN FUCKING READ THIS THREAD IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT. SPOILERS WILL BE EVERYWHERE

can we talk about this movie because damn, it was great. it was really damn great. i'm not even sure all of what i want to say about it rn, i just wanted to start this thread so we can talk about this movie and stuff

hey so one thing that this movie did that i didn't think was possible was that it [spoiler]KILLED HAN SOLO[/spoiler] but did it well and didn't make everyone mad??? just imagine if george lucas had tried to write this scene, it would've been awful. but it was really fitting in this and done in a meaningful way and i'm pretty sure his death will be an important thing to come back to for the rest of the new trilogy

okay so now that that thought is out of the way, here are some minor-ish (mostly) complaints i have:

-too much fanservice and silly homages and nods to (mostly) a new hope. in particular, don't really see why the starkiller base planet had to be blown up just like the death star, i thought that was going a bit deep into soft-rebooting. i thought they would have only been able to disable its main gun, and that the real fight against the starkiller base was yet to come. i was a bit disappointed that it's already gone. and some little references are just silly and throwaway, like the hologram chess table in the falcon.

-who the fuck cares about phasma??? why is she in this???

-some details are too vague and are "explained" only by quick throwaway lines. like for example, the mcguffin of this film is the "map to luke skywalker," and that's pretty silly, but it's explained in a quick throwaway line that it's technically a map to the first jedi temple, and left at that. for another example, we are told very little about the circumstances between leia, han, and ben (rylo ken). why did ben become estranged from his parents? what was the whole situation with their family tbh? how did snoke draw him away from luke and into the dark side? small lines scattered here and there attempt to give a vague idea of these things but they feel weak. and i'm not confident we'll get answers to all of them in the next films.

but yeah the movie's great. this movie notably does the opposite of pretty much everything wrong with the prequel films. as if abrams and his writers were intentionally, specifically avoiding the things lucas did with the prequel films.

TooB

Quote from: Sakura Kinomoto on December 23, 2015, 11:10:04 PM
DONT EVEN FUCKING READ THIS THREAD IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT. SPOILERS WILL BE EVERYWHERE

can we talk about this movie because damn, it was great. it was really damn great. i'm not even sure all of what i want to say about it rn, i just wanted to start this thread so we can talk about this movie and stuff

hey so one thing that this movie did that i didn't think was possible was that it [spoiler]KILLED HAN SOLO[/spoiler] but did it well and didn't make everyone mad??? just imagine if george lucas had tried to write this scene, it would've been awful. but it was really fitting in this and done in a meaningful way and i'm pretty sure his death will be an important thing to come back to for the rest of the new trilogy

okay so now that that thought is out of the way, here are some minor-ish (mostly) complaints i have:

-too much fanservice and silly homages and nods to (mostly) a new hope. in particular, don't really see why the starkiller base planet had to be blown up just like the death star, i thought that was going a bit deep into soft-rebooting. i thought they would have only been able to disable its main gun, and that the real fight against the starkiller base was yet to come. i was a bit disappointed that it's already gone. and some little references are just silly and throwaway, like the hologram chess table in the falcon.

-who the fuck cares about phasma??? why is she in this???

-some details are too vague and are "explained" only by quick throwaway lines. like for example, the mcguffin of this film is the "map to luke skywalker," and that's pretty silly, but it's explained in a quick throwaway line that it's technically a map to the first jedi temple, and left at that. for another example, we are told very little about the circumstances between leia, han, and ben (rylo ken). why did ben become estranged from his parents? what was the whole situation with their family tbh? how did snoke draw him away from luke and into the dark side? small lines scattered here and there attempt to give a vague idea of these things but they feel weak. and i'm not confident we'll get answers to all of them in the next films.

but yeah the movie's great. this movie notably does the opposite of pretty much everything wrong with the prequel films. as if abrams and his writers were intentionally, specifically avoiding the things lucas did with the prequel films.
"rylo ken"? sillydood;

idk, I kinda liked that some of these things were left a mystery.
I'm sure they will answer these in the future, but I only hope whoever does the next two movies doesn't fuck up what J.J. accomplished.

But yeah, I see what you mean about some things, just kinda quickly explained.
but the original trilogy did that too.
a new hope had a very similar meeting about the Death Star where they were like, " does it have a weakness?"
"there's a hole here."
"kay let's go blow it up!"

also, I love Rey. I don't care if she's technically not the "best" character.

TooB

also, I wonder if calling the base "Starkiller" was some kind of nod to The Force Unleashed, that being the main character's name...

Samus Aran

Quote from: Loto on December 23, 2015, 11:17:42 PM

that's exactly why it's a complaint of mine: it's literally the death star blown up again, not even remotely different

TooB

Quote from: Sakura Kinomoto on December 23, 2015, 11:20:33 PM
Quote from: Loto on December 23, 2015, 11:17:42 PM
Quote from: Sakura Kinomoto on December 23, 2015, 11:10:04 PM

that's exactly why it's a complaint of mine: it's literally the death star blown up again, not even remotely different
yeah i know. that's like, the consensus.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Loto on December 23, 2015, 11:19:06 PM
also, I wonder if calling the base "Starkiller" was some kind of nod to The Force Unleashed, that being the main character's name...

i had that thought too sillydood;

TooB

why is the quote acting all weird?

also, I know that there are some people out there that think Kylo Ren is "Darth Emo," but I can't say I agree with that.

He's... an unstable Vader-like. He wants to be like Vader but is still very much a child.

I can't wait to see what he becomes in the sequels

Samus Aran

Quote from: Loto on December 23, 2015, 11:22:14 PM
why is the quote acting all weird?

too many opened quote tags and not enough closed ones. i fixed it in my post.

TooB

Did you like Simon Pegg's and Daniel Craig's cameos?

Samus Aran

they were cool

also kevin smith apparently did something in it

TooB

Quote from: Sakura Kinomoto on December 23, 2015, 11:30:34 PM
they were cool

also kevin smith apparently did something in it
hmmm... I don't recall hearing anything about that. I know he was able to visit the set way before the film was finished, but never heard of him doing anything for it.

maybe though. Not like I kept up with Smith during the making

Nyerp

movie was good, but rey felt almost like a mary sue in that she can pretty much do anything the other characters can't and stuff she can't do she learns almost instantly after seeing them (all of her force powers). her only real flaw as a character is her abandonment issues but they never really affect her in a negative way. thank god finn's there or else the movie would seem like fanfiction. tbh imo tbh

TooB

Quote from: Nyerp on December 24, 2015, 09:16:51 AM
movie was good, but rey felt almost like a mary sue in that she can pretty much do anything the other characters can't and stuff she can't do she learns almost instantly after seeing them (all of her force powers). her only real flaw as a character is her abandonment issues but they never really affect her in a negative way. thank god finn's there or else the movie would seem like fanfiction. tbh imo tbh
finn is a great character, and probably my second favorite.

Commander Fuckass

Kylo Ren was fucking awesome.

"I'm being torn apart. I want to be free of this pain. I know what I have to do but I don't know if I have the strength to do it. Will you help me? " Adam Driver's delivery on that was fucking great

I hate that people are all "Kylo Ren is a whiny bitch" NO HE'S NOT. HE'S FURTHER AND FURTHER TURNING TO THE DARK SIDE AND CAN'T SUPPRESS HIS ANGER"

better delivery than anything Hayden did with his wooden acting

also do you all agree with the "Rey is Luke's daughter" theory?
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

TooB

Quote from: Commander Fuckass on December 24, 2015, 03:44:48 PM
Kylo Ren was fucking awesome.

"I'm being torn apart. I want to be free of this pain. I know what I have to do but I don't know if I have the strength to do it. Will you help me? " Adam Driver's delivery on that was fucking great

I hate that people are all "Kylo Ren is a whiny bitch" NO HE'S NOT. HE'S FURTHER AND FURTHER TURNING TO THE DARK SIDE AND CAN'T SUPPRESS HIS ANGER"

better delivery than anything Hayden did with his wooden acting

also do you all agree with the "Rey is Luke's daughter" theory?

yes I do. It kinda implied, and the old teasers kinda lead to that as well.
"The force runs in my family. My father had it. My sister has it. Now you have it."
Sounds like Luke talking to rey to me, even though it didn't happen in vii, but is probably dialogue for viii.

I loved kylo ren as well.
I agree with what you said.

Go Up