May 15, 2024, 12:19:32 AM

1,531,625 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The sorry state of gaming

Started by The artist formally known, October 03, 2015, 10:07:09 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

C.Mongler

oh lord its the "cool star wars game" kickstarter all over again lmao why are there dinguses out these who think this is how this thing works

Samus Aran

Quote from: Chyme on March 28, 2016, 06:13:15 PM
turok 2 was tight

[spoiler]@ItsAllTight[/spoiler]

turok 2 was decent. fixed some issues from the first game, had better graphixxx and had way better weapons.

turok 1 was revolutionary when it came out simply because it was one of the first popular fps games with actual like...exploration, wide open areas, puzzles, platforming (BAD PLATFORMING THO), etc. as opposed to mostly hallways like previous fps games. however, this came with a price: super thick distance fog and some of the worst draw distance i've ever seen. the game also aged super fast and idk it's just not a good game tbh

question though: why is turok 3 not included in the announcement? it's not particularly any better or worse than 2

ALSO ALL THESE GAMES HAD THIS REALLY GLARING FLAW THAT I HATED WHICH WAS THAT THEY WERE GAMES THAT NEEDED A CONTROLLER PAK TO SAVE

don't let's

strongbad

on the topic of gaming as a whole:
i know that this is a pretty predictable strongbad opinion because i never shut up about them BUT

i genuinely believe that roguelites and roguelikes will become a major force of gaming over the next 5 or so years. like yeah now they're all hit or miss indie games but once you get into one you realize how amazing they are and could you believe how amazing they could be with AAA development? like a skyrim roguelite? i think that darksouls is a good step in the right direction since it is conditioning people to get fucked up by videogames and forced into mastery but i think it can be taken a step farther while being accessible

silvertone

silvertone

because the main thing keep rogues back are graphics [imo]

C.Mongler

i think the rougelike 'force' is right now tbh lol, i'm not sure the concept is bankable enough for a triple A to build a title based off it tho

strongbad

Quote from: SVT on April 21, 2016, 02:40:10 AM
because the main thing keep rogues back are graphics [imo]

Agreed the most mainstream ones you have no idea from screenshots. Traditional tile based games are amazing though and it's a shame that people don't give them a college try

Cmong the force is just beginning u just wait

C.Mongler

i mean it's not like this is a new genre or anything man, the only thing that's new is possibilities for procedural generated content is expanding widely

i mean i think if no man's sky is a critical success ya might see bigger titles but if it's a doo doo flop probably not going to leave the niche realm it's currently in (yes i realize no man's sky is not a rouge lite at all, but it's probably the biggest name title i can think of right now that uses LOL SO RANDOM as it's core)

strongbad

i guess a big part of it is procedurally generated content and that is definitely an important thing for gaming, and i definitely prefer it to developer made levels and things, since it forces your to learn to play the game on your own terms instead of learning to play the game how somebody wanted you to play the game (if that makes sense)

but i think that perma death is just as important as the procedurally generated content even though it's the thing that turns people off from RLs the most. when you have the chance of losing a character forever, you play it so much differently and every gain is so much more meaningful since it feels real as it could be taken away at any moment.

id really love to see some serious permadeath MMOs out there. id also like to get in on a hardcore mode minecraft server but it is hard to setup and nobody is interested i think

Thyme

strongbad

don't let's

Go Up