The Only Vestige of Happiness at the Sorry Company of Sony: PlayStation 4

Started by ME##, August 04, 2015, 03:31:51 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

bluaki

I don't even have a PS4, but I'm still a little hesitant to get a PS4 Pro over a Slim.

It's huge (and ugly), consumes a lot of power (twice as much as slim), and probably will have thermal/noise issues. Out of all the PS4 games I have or intend to get, there might be none or very few that actually see any difference at all on the new hardware. It doesn't even support UHD Blu-Ray discs.

Are there even any guarantees of perfect compatibility with all existing PS4 games?

that said I'll probably get it anyway

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Big Goop on September 07, 2016, 12:33:35 PM
So when are the 4k remasters of each and every hd  remaster coming?

i hadn't even considered this possibility

who's ready to buy uncharted and the last of us for the third time in two generations 5thgrade;

TooB

Quote from: Tectron on September 07, 2016, 10:57:47 PM
Quote from: Big Goop on September 07, 2016, 12:33:35 PM
So when are the 4k remasters of each and every hd  remaster coming?

i hadn't even considered this possibility

who's ready to buy uncharted and the last of us for the third time in two generations 5thgrade;
and gtav.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: bluaki on September 07, 2016, 07:54:06 PM
It doesn't even support UHD Blu-Ray discs.

now this to me is truly surprising

it's one thing for the ps4 slim to be incompatible with uhd brds, but somehow sony decided it wasn't a worthy investment for the """pro""" either

sony has a vested interest in selling its overpriced 4k tvs and underperforming 4k sony pictures films to as large an audience as possible and there could be no easier way to encourage wide adoption of the 4k standard than by using a game console as a trojan horse for 4k

it's the exact strategy they themselves used that made the ps2 so successful and made blu ray the sole viable successor format to dvd

yet somehow the """pro""" can't even compete with the lesser version of the xbox one when it comes to 4k media playback befuddlement

also as the size of games continues to grow, the ~50gb capacity of standard blu ray discs could become a significant limitation for the ps4 that the new xbox won't have to worry about

like when the 360 was still using 8gb dvds while the ps3 used blu ray

Quote from: bluaki on September 07, 2016, 07:54:06 PM
Are there even any guarantees of perfect compatibility with all existing PS4 games?

sony has officially stipulated that all ps4 pro games must also be playable on the lesser ps4

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-how-playstation-4k-neo-and-the-original-ps4-will-co-exist

i can assure you that that mandate will only be very weakly enforced though (if at all) lol

the definition of "playable" for the lesser ps4 will go from being 24fps/720p and moderately buggy to 16fps/640p and game-breakingly buggy

Kalahari Inkantation

TooB

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: C.Mongler on September 07, 2016, 12:53:09 PM
HERE'S SOME DUDE FROM THE REDDIT:

QuoteThe Ps4 Pro both does and doesnt support 4k. It Does output 4k and HDR images to the TV, but the way they render it is interesting.
The Ps4 Pro has twice the power a normal Ps4, but 4k would need 4 times the power. What they do its render in a checkerboard pattern, and alternate it. That means that instead of rendering 4 pixels per "1080p" pixel, they render 2, and the next frame they render the other 2.
Then they use high quality temporal antialiasing to smooth it out.
Think of it as a really really fancy interlacing. Developers dont really need to use the power for that, they can also chose to keep the 1080p resolution and get more framerates or improved graphics.

oh, so it's 2160i and not 2160p

how underwhelming

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Big Goop on September 07, 2016, 11:16:02 PM
Quote from: Tectron on September 07, 2016, 11:14:56 PM
Quote from: Big Goop on September 07, 2016, 11:12:15 PM
and gtav.

ugh

rockst*r's going to get away with charging $60 for that game for ten years, aren't they
yes.

which means they'll be able to coast on new gtav sales and their extortionistic gta online practices until 2023, perhaps even longer

confirmed: rdr 2 will not see the light of day until 2027 at the absolute earliest

Kalahari Inkantation

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: squirrelfriend on September 07, 2016, 01:16:11 PM
Quote from: C.Mongler on September 07, 2016, 01:15:20 PM
Quote‏@rjcc Richard Lawler Retweeted Richard Lawler
Confirmed: No Ultra HD Blu-ray in the PS4 Pro. Only 4K video via streaming/apps.

tfw sony doesn't even support its own format

the era of physical media is dead

it's been dead since 2007

TooB

Quote from: Tectron on September 07, 2016, 11:21:07 PM
Quote from: Thyme on September 07, 2016, 01:03:30 PM
is the psn back up yet

rest assured, your $20 price increase is being put to good use
i'm telling you, they could make this a bit more bearable if they made the free ps plus games yours to keep forever, instead of until your plus runs out

Kalahari Inkantation

i agree but as the decisive market leaders with pitifully weak competition there's pretty much no need for them to do that

they can exploit your wallet all they want, you're already invested in the ecosystem and an extra $10-$20 per year might be upsetting but they know you're not going to abandon the ps4 as a platform and switch to the xbox (or, god forbid, the wii u with its free online) over it

plus they're holding online gaming hostage behind that ps+ subscription and they're well aware that most of us idiots have no self control and will begrudgingly fork over $60 for that despite our complaints

squirrelfriend

Quote from: Tectron on September 07, 2016, 11:23:24 PM
Quote from: squirrelfriend on September 07, 2016, 01:16:11 PM
Quote from: C.Mongler on September 07, 2016, 01:15:20 PM
Quote‏@rjcc Richard Lawler Retweeted Richard Lawler
Confirmed: No Ultra HD Blu-ray in the PS4 Pro. Only 4K video via streaming/apps.

tfw sony doesn't even support its own format

the era of physical media is dead
yeah
i just can't wait for lossless multichannel audio streaming :)

Nyerp

Go Up