April 18, 2024, 08:11:28 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Windows 10

Started by Hiro, July 30, 2015, 10:24:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Hiro

Got it yesterday, still playing around with it.
Looks very nice, and seems like a lot of useful new features were added, but there are weird graphical bugs here and there (like small icons on the Start menu get cropped/shifted to the right) and it seems to freeze up and stutter a lot more than 8 ever did, and I think in some ways its more confusing to use than 8, the way things seem to be randomly hidden/separated between both a Settings app as well as the traditional Control Panel.
Also Steam keeps trying to apply and reapply the same update over and over

Hiro

btw I'm trying the Edge browser and it's identifying as Chrome lmao

Kalahari Inkantation

i'll be doing a clean install this weekend after finishing my backups

i'll let you know how much of a disaster the transition process turns out to be smth;

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

here's a question. how many ads are living inside of this beast

don't let's

July 31, 2015, 01:12:12 AM #5 Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:15:23 AM by …
Quote from: ʜɨɍɵ҈҈ on July 30, 2015, 10:24:03 PMand it seems to freeze up and stutter a lot more than 8 ever did,
yes! I just installed it and I think Windows explorer keeps freezing up on me. And my taskbar is a lot of times unusable.

I might end to eventually doing a clean install I when I get some of my stuff backed up.

Now I just have to install it on my desktop. Might hold off on that for a little bit though.

don't let's

Quote from: Tectron on July 30, 2015, 11:02:44 PM
Quote from: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo on July 30, 2015, 11:00:02 PM
here's a question. how many ads are living inside of this beast

http://www.pcgamer.com/windows-10-requires-a-subscription-to-remove-ads/
I liked that at the bottom of that page (at least for new) it had a bunch of ads to buy windows 10 on Amazon.

don't let's

And I guess my start menu/button isn't working. But maybe if I keep restarting my computer things will start working because now at least the icons for Microsoft edge and the store are showing up where I have them pinned on the taskbar when previously they weren't.

don't let's

July 31, 2015, 04:20:31 AM #8 Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:28:02 AM by …
Alright, I guess it's more or less working now after a trip to safe mode and then sticking the boot setting back to what I thought was default. And a few more restarts.

Though right clicking on my pinned stuff on the taskbar does nothing.

ME##

rofl apparently edge will spell check in any language you have enabled as a keyboard option befuddlement

Kalahari Inkantation

backups complete

It's Time

don't let's

Desktop upgrade worked out just fine after one restart. Except my Bluetooth adapter doesn't show up anymore.

And I think everything on my laptop works except for Cortana.

don't let's

vuvudood;

But I guess Sleep Mode disappeared from my desktop pc

awdood;

Kalahari Inkantation

clean install complete

now to scour the internet up and down for a million obscure drivers which may or may not actually be compatible with my hardware configuration on windows 10 smth;

Kalahari Inkantation

i truly despise the arbitrary name change from "programs" to """apps""" and the inclusion of the intrusive and wholly unnecessary """app store"""

the word """app""" was popularized by apple and denotes a subcategory of programs designed to provide basic quasi-desktop functionality to early low-power 'smart' mobile devices which at one point would have been incapable of running the more taxing programs typically found on pcs

i don't want mobile pollution on a desktop os, why change nomenclature that was previously perfectly fine

i swear to dog, windows is no better than android sometimes, with its shameless and tearful wails of 'we are absolutely desperate for the apple market (but don't quite understand what makes apple so popular) !!'

[spoiler]

(man, imagine how i would have felt about windows 8)[/spoiler]

Go Up