March 28, 2024, 05:26:56 PM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Windows 10

Started by Hiro, July 30, 2015, 10:24:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

bluaki

Quote from: … on August 09, 2015, 05:45:59 AM
http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-releases-dvd-player-for-windows-10/

lol
The $15 fee is way too high (especially for something that feature-incomplete), but Microsoft really does have to pay extra to give people a DVD (or Blu-Ray) decoder, thanks to the silly world of codec licensing fees.

the codecs for widely-distributed media like this really should be free

don't let's

Quote from: bluaki on August 09, 2015, 10:35:45 PM
Quote from: … on August 09, 2015, 05:45:59 AM
http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-releases-dvd-player-for-windows-10/

lol
The $15 fee is way too high (especially for something that feature-incomplete), but Microsoft really does have to pay extra to give people a DVD (or Blu-Ray) decoder, thanks to the silly world of codec licensing fees.

the codecs for widely-distributed media like this really should be free
though even beyond that, the whole it's tied to upgrading from 7/8 and if you do a clean install or reinstall 10 then you'll lose the dvd player. (Not that there's not better free alternatives)

bluaki

I only just installed the Windows 10 update last night when I went to bed, then after I woke up this morning, I tried it out for a whole 5 minutes before deciding there was stuff I needed to do in Linux and rebooted sillydood;

In my short time with trying out Win10 for the first time, I think it so far seems like a nice improvement over 8.1 and 7, and of course the first thing I did was remove that Cortana search bar which takes up like a third of the taskbar.

[spoiler]Even though my job is updating our software so that Windows 10 (and all other recent OSes) can run on it, I haven't actually used Windows at work for months[/spoiler]

Daddy

Kalahari Inkantation

day 300000

people STILL use chrome

Daddy

>mfw my chrome updater was broken

ME##

Kalahari Inkantation

Thyme

nice
lol firefox being even lower
i can attest to that

silvertone

that's the alpha tho

Daddy

I don't trust any microsoft browser not to have ridiculous vulnerabilities even if they completely rewrite the codebase.

i dont feel like dodging the weekly zero day for remote code execution

silvertone

Quote from: Khadafi on August 22, 2015, 08:37:09 PM
I don't trust any microsoft browser not to have ridiculous vulnerabilities even if they completely rewrite the codebase.

stop being a conspiracy theorist and do some believe actual emperical testing : ^)

ME##

Quote from: fuchsmanguste on August 23, 2015, 08:52:30 AM
Quote from: Khadafi on August 22, 2015, 08:37:09 PM

stop being a conspiracy theorist and do some believe actual emperical testing : ^)
this

Go Up