April 16, 2024, 01:50:06 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Nintendo Switch Thread Consolidation

Started by ME##, May 25, 2015, 05:13:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

don't let's

Quote from: Tectron on November 19, 2015, 12:21:31 AM
Quote from: … on November 18, 2015, 11:31:05 PM
http://www.statista.com/statistics/268966/total-number-of-game-consoles-sold-worldwide-by-console-type/

Never realized that the DS and GB sold so much.

the ds and wii were monsters

together they sold over 250 million units, making the 7th gen by far the best nintendo (or any game console manufacturer) has ever had (and ever will have)

[spoiler]

and they were both fully deserving of such incredible success srsly[/spoiler]

by contrast, the 3ds and wii u together are in the 65 million range and will be lucky to hit 75 million (the vast majority in 3ds sales) by the time they're replaced, less than 1/3 of the 7th gen total

also, the original gameboy line had the advantage of being on the market for well over a decade before being succeeded by the advance, plus its sales are combined with those of the gameboy color

the gameboy advance's sales at 81 million are far more impressive when you consider it was only on the market for <4 years before the ds was introduced
Video gaming's greatest years are truly over

TooB

Kalahari Inkantation

yeah that's pretty much undeniable

i still maintain that the 7th gen was the best gaming has ever had, not just in terms of sales but in terms of the abundance and variety of quality content

TooB

Quote from: Tectron on November 19, 2015, 12:40:35 AM

i still maintain that the 7th gen was the best gaming has ever had, not just in terms of sales but in terms of the abundance and variety of quality content
was that the ps2 era?

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Loto on November 19, 2015, 12:41:10 AM

was that the ps2 era?

7th gen is wii/ps3/360/psp/ds era lol

even the ps2 era couldn't touch the ps3 era in sales (or, in my opinion, quality)

which is ironic considering the ps3 itself was and still is a complete failure sales-wise compared to the ps2 lol

Kalahari Inkantation

another fun fact: the 7th gen is the only generation in which every single competing platform was a resounding success

not a single console (handhelds included) sold <80m units, and by the end of the generation the each of the three home consoles had claimed about an even 1/3 of the market lol

TooB

Quote from: Tectron on November 19, 2015, 12:43:50 AM

was that the ps2 era?

even the ps2 era couldn't touch the ps3 era in sales (or, in my opinion, quality)

which is ironic considering the ps3 itself was and still is a complete failure sales-wise compared to the ps2 lol
i meant to type 3 lol

bluaki

ME##

was that the ps2 era?

it's unfortunate that the PS3 retained the label of failure from its launch lol (much like the Xbone today)

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: David on November 19, 2015, 09:57:39 AM

was that the ps2 era?

it's unfortunate that the PS3 retained the label of failure from its launch lol (much like the Xbone today)

agreed, though it may have been a disaster for sony, the ps3 is the furthest thing from a failure in my eyes

well, in terms of library at least lol

TooB

To be fair.   it only really got a bad rep at launch do to price and lackluster launch games with resistance being the killer app.

once the price dropped and the slim came out it was all uphill for sony

Samus Aran

Quote from: Loto on November 19, 2015, 08:32:47 PM
To be fair.   it only really got a bad rep at launch do to price and lackluster launch games with resistance being the killer app.

once the price dropped and the slim came out it was all uphill for sony

well it also got a bad rep at launch because of early overheating systems, similar to early 360 red rings

TooB

Oh yeah. i forgot ghe original ps3 was kind of a pos

C.Mongler

ME##

i still maintain the 20gb was the nicest looking ps3, i also miss the obscene amount of VENTS the original consoles had /theonlypersonwhowillagreewtiththisopinionistec

Go Up