April 17, 2024, 11:13:04 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Chromebooks

Started by strongbad, April 19, 2015, 03:00:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

it's good
at 26% (full brightness and 4 tabs) i have an hour and 30 minutes left. i've only had to change it a couple of times since i bought it. thing lasts significantly longer than my phone lol

strongbad

two downsides of my model that i've noticed
you have to click way too hard on the touch pad to register a click. you can use gesture stuff which works great but there are some things i can't figure out with gestures such as highlighting or clicking and dragging (same thing really) so i have to click really hard and i feel like im gonna break the damn thing

also if i have like 6 tabs open and one of them is streaming audio there is choppiness in the audio which is kind of a bummer

snoorkel

strongbad

May 15, 2015, 12:20:24 PM #33 Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 02:28:58 PM by udderfailure
Yes which is great and responsive but doesn't seem to work for the things I mentioned

oh it also charges to full ridiculously fast. i wanna say that it's like an hour for it to go from 20% to full but idk for sure- ill post the exact time the next time i charge it.

bluaki

Quote from: udderfailure on May 15, 2015, 10:01:19 AM
i can't figure out with gestures such as highlighting or clicking and dragging (same thing really) so i have to click really hard and i feel like im gonna break the damn thing
you can use one finger to press the corner of the trackpad, as if you're pressing a trackpad button (which doesn't actually exist), while using another finger to drag

snoorkel

hello give free chromebook plez

strongbad

finally got around to getting crouton running

i really like it so far- mostly because now i have a reason to become more familiar with linux
doesn't seem to slow down regular chromeos and now i can torrent and use vlc for videos. good stuff

Kalahari Inkantation

and the ultra lightweight, hassle-free experience that defined chrome os will be a thing of the past once it's assimilated into lagdroid

strongbad

well that is good from am app perspective- there are so few apps on chromeos
but yeah i am skeptical because i really like chromeos and android is great for a phone but IDK

strongbad

strongbad

[spoiler][/img][/spoiler]
omg chromebooks are so kewl

bluaki

Quote from: antmaster5000 on November 01, 2015, 11:27:47 PM
[spoiler][/spoiler]
omg chromebooks are so kewl
enjoy your total lack of video acceleration sillydood;

One of the main things I use crouton for is watching videos, which completely doesn't work with that mode. Similarly, you'll also need to use a fullscreen session if you want to play any games (of course, within the narrow confines of what is supported in Chromebook hardware on Linux). For other purposes, windowed-crouton might have noticeable lag and power consumption, but it's at least usable.

bluaki

Quote from: David on October 30, 2015, 06:06:40 PM
http://www.wsj.com/article_email/alphabets-google-to-fold-chrome-operating-system-into-android-1446151134-lMyQjAxMTA1NzIxOTAyMzk4Wj?alg=y

looks like android is about to become even more fractured~
http://chrome.blogspot.com/2015/11/chrome-os-is-here-to-stay.html
QuoteOver the last few days, there’s been some confusion about the future of Chrome OS and Chromebooks based on speculation that Chrome OS will be folded into Android. While we’ve been working on ways to bring together the best of both operating systems, there's no plan to phase out Chrome OS.
Rather than ignore rumors as you'd normally expect companies to do, Google is outright denying them.

Go Up