April 24, 2024, 03:35:06 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

the last record you bought

Started by The Hand That Fisted Everyone, January 22, 2015, 01:20:09 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

most of my record collection is in asheville still, being kept warm by my sister. With the announcement of a new Mountain Goats album I thought to myself "wow corey this might be the purchase to get you back into lp purchasing." So I look at the price for the record. 30 some odd dollars for the special edition colored vinyl, 20 for the standard black pressing.

to which I replied, Fuck That.

maybe it's due to the lacklustre new releases from tMGs, maybe it's time away from record owning. I thought back to the last record I purchased, Olga Bell's Krai (which came as almost a ruby red vinyl) and I bought that for like...15$?

Idk i just wanted to make a thread. Do you guys still buy wax lps? I know Kaz was getting records on the reg, and grant occasionally splurged on those kinds of things.

Custom

The last record I bought for myself was Between the Buried and Me's The Silent Circus. I don't even really listen to metal anymore, but I loved it in high school and figured I might as well get it. I was supposed to get in the Charlie Brown Christmas LP but Barnes and Noble never sent it to me. I just started buying them this year. I think the first one I purchased was Bomb the Music Industry's Adults and that's still my favorite that I own.

I think records for me have become this sort of "I like this album so much, I need a vinyl pressing of it" thing. I usually buy albums digitally before I get them on vinyl.

Samus Aran

i'm still buying wax fairly regularly, but it's been a while since i bought them as quickly as i used to. most recent acquisitions are remasters of Burzum's Filosofem and Brand New's The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me. These were Christmas gifts, though.

The last one I actually bought myself was TWIABP's "joke" album The World is a Beautiful Cat And I am No Longer Meow Meow Meow, which is actually a square lathe cut record. Shortly before that, I got two of Glacial Palace's new Modest Mouse remasters. Lonesome Crowded West and This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About.

Those were two months ago, though. It's definitely been a while.

http://www.discogs.com/user/KazberryKrunch/collection

sorting by date added will tell you what i've gotten semi-recently

Custom

strongbad

the only records that i buy anymore are vintage synth covers lol
there is a antique store nearby that has a bunch of them for usually under $10 and it is pretty fun to buy one now and then

recently i got a synth cover of "what's new pussy cat" lol amazing

i also got tycho's new album for christmas on vinyl but i prob wouldnt have paid full price for it myself
actually idk if i've even listened to it because i already have flac on my computer :I

silvertone

the last record i bought was some bm record that i didn't dig too much

Samus Aran

Quote from: Platinum the Trinity on January 22, 2015, 01:57:25 AM
i'm still buying wax fairly regularly, but it's been a while since i bought them as quickly as i used to. most recent acquisitions are remasters of Burzum's Filosofem and Brand New's The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me. These were Christmas gifts, though.

The last one I actually bought myself was TWIABP's "joke" album The World is a Beautiful Cat And I am No Longer Meow Meow Meow, which is actually a square lathe cut record. Shortly before that, I got two of Glacial Palace's new Modest Mouse remasters. Lonesome Crowded West and This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About.

Those were two months ago, though. It's definitely been a while.

http://www.discogs.com/user/KazberryKrunch/collection

sorting by date added will tell you what i've gotten semi-recently

i changed this by ordering two records tonight. giddy motors "make it pop" and rites of spring's s/t lp

snoorkel

yea $30 is looking expensive, eh.

I bought Brooks & Dunn on cassette and before that i bought a Bach LP in 1973.

Hiro

Mando Pandango

New vinyl has an awful tendency to be overpriced as shit. Most of the time I'll just pick stuff up from secondhand store. Last trip, I picked up A Trick of the Tail by Genesis and something else than I cannot remember.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Samus Aran

yeah vinyl is now a "niche" market bloated by overly fancy releases and a lot of colored vinyl that shouldn't be any more expensive than a black vinyl release

especially since, you know, black vinyl records ARE colored anyway. they're not naturally black.

reeper

Quote from: Platinum the Trinity on January 28, 2015, 11:04:11 AM
yeah vinyl is now a "niche" market bloated by overly fancy releases and a lot of colored vinyl that shouldn't be any more expensive than a black vinyl release

especially since, you know, black vinyl records ARE colored anyway. they're not naturally black.
you're right about the colors but black vinyls are going to be cheaper since they're mass produced. even if it's the same damn thing with a different color, taking the time to retool and clean out a machine just for a special red vinyl will cost more. the standard color for whatever product will be much cheaper because you don't have to special order them, thus they have to go out of their way to make the special color.

i know this because i've ordered custom items like this before.

regardless they're probably still overpriced.

Samus Aran

it totally depends on the band. my bloody valentine charged like $35 for a standard black vinyl release of mbv. flaming lips records are all very overpriced.

other bands charge $10-$20 a record, no more than a cd really

me003

last vinyl I got was Stagga - sick as sin.

I love discogs.
Quote from: reefer on November 29, 2007, 11:32:08 PM
No offense to her but she kinda doesn't know crap about shit

Go Up