March 28, 2024, 02:18:45 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

BOYAH GUTS THREAD: R8 'N' B8

Started by ME##, December 20, 2014, 10:24:32 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Snowy on July 13, 2017, 10:42:42 AM
So I figured out why my PC would just turn off randomly.

When I installed my watercooler, it wasn't seated correctly, I don't think. So I reinstalled it and applied better thermal paste. I also found out that because of the 20º C offset, it was tripping my mobo's thermal throttling measures.

It's finally fixed.

when i first assembled my pc, i accidentally [glow=black,2,300]added a layer of thermal paste to my cpu, on which there was already a factory-applied layer of thermal paste[/glow]

amazingly enough, doubling up on the paste doesn't seem to have caused any cooling or performance issues lol 5thgrade;

Thyme

a few things almost went wrong during my build lol

i touched the thermal paste on the underside of my OEM processor fan with my thumb myface;
doesn't seem to have consequences just yet lol

a few pins on the AAFP socket (front panel audio connector) were bent so i had to unbend them with this one tool that looks like tweezers but bigger, it was horrifying myface;
it worked girl;

i had to move (and rotate) my HDD three times because the wires couldn't get to it lol

and in the end i had to purchase a windows license saddood;

Kalahari Inkantation

the anxiety over damaging components is half the fun lol

Quote from: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on July 13, 2017, 07:46:45 PM
and in the end i had to purchase a windows license saddood;

But this is truly unfortunate. awdood;

Thyme

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on July 13, 2017, 07:55:34 PM
the anxiety over damaging components is half the fun lol

I don't like it madood;

Kalahari Inkantation

But I'm sure you liked the relief of finally getting it working in full. vuvudood;

bluaki

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on July 13, 2017, 07:27:43 PM
Quote from: bluaki on July 12, 2017, 08:50:45 PM
I just saw an RX 560 4GB available to order on Amazon for $120, so I grabbed it. It's not actually in stock until Mon Jul 17 though. This is the Gigabyte one; Asus and Sapphire aren't available.

I'm still not sure whether getting a 570 instead would be worth it, but it's not in stock so whatever. I have almost a week left to cancel before it ships anyway in case I change my mind by then.

I saw a 570 in stock very briefly on Prime Day for like $230 (list price). I saw it too late to get a chance to even see whether it was eligible for any Prime discounts before it disappeared. I think $230 seems too high for that card, shouldn't it be more like $170? I think the 580 is probably worth about that much.

all of amd's gpus are heinously overpriced at the moment because of the cryptocurrency meme

you're right about the 570 and 580, they're not really worth today's makret prices

how urgently do you need to upgrade, anyway

it might be worth considering waiting4vegaâ,,¢ to see if it shifts prices downwards across the industry
Well, it was Prime Day, so that RX 570 might've actually been at a good effective price if I had been able to check. Maybe it matched the ~$180 MSRP after Prime "discount", maybe it was even lower like $160. It's pretty typical for a sale like Prime Day to raise the base price of an item only to make a sale look more appealing than it is. It was shipped and sold by Amazon, not a third-party seller.

I don't really care enough to get a 580 and especially not Vega. Vega might even outdo what my PSU can comfortably handle. As far as I can tell, 560 significantly outperforms the PS4 and 570 beats the PS4 Pro, so that's good enough for me. I'm sticking to 1080p60 for what very little 3D PC gaming I'll ever do, so 570 would probably be ideal.

Kalahari Inkantation

i wasn't suggesting buying a vega card (i certainly wouldn't and my psu couldn't handle it either lol), but rather waiting a few weeks to see if the release of vega shifts the prices of the 500 series downward

if you do urgently need to upgrade, though, then $120 for a 560 isn't too bad

bluaki

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on July 14, 2017, 07:54:04 PM
i wasn't suggesting buying a vega card (i certainly wouldn't and my psu couldn't handle it either lol), but rather waiting a few weeks to see if the release of vega shifts the prices of the 500 series downward

if you do urgently need to upgrade, though, then $120 for a 560 isn't too bad
I really doubt Vega will affect the pricing of these lower-end cards.

The stock situation is bad enough that I have little reason to believe I'll get another chance in the near future. It's not like I need it right now, but I'd rather not wait months.

I believe the price I got is not driven up by demand, that's MSRP. AMD says it's $100, manufacturers turned that into $110 with the custom cooler and overclocking (that every single card happens to have), and they raise it further to $120 for the 4GB version.

Thyme

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on July 12, 2017, 04:00:03 PM
Aren't you glad you made the choice you did? giggle;

i need to upgrade to a larger ssd myself tbh

yes giggle;

also a few days ago i learned the HDD on my old pc was 7200 rpm, so i'm glad i didn't unknowingly downgrade there goowan

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: bluaki on July 14, 2017, 11:43:01 PM
I really doubt Vega will affect the pricing of these lower-end cards.

The stock situation is bad enough that I have little reason to believe I'll get another chance in the near future. It's not like I need it right now, but I'd rather not wait months.

I believe the price I got is not driven up by demand, that's MSRP. AMD says it's $100, manufacturers turned that into $110 with the custom cooler and overclocking (that every single card happens to have), and they raise it further to $120 for the 4GB version.

having just taken a look at the 560's historical pricing, you're right, that's about as good as it gets

Quote from: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on July 15, 2017, 08:36:09 AM
yes giggle;

also a few days ago i learned the HDD on my old pc was 7200 rpm, so i'm glad i didn't unknowingly downgrade there goowan

my god, i can only imagine how frustrated with your brand new machine you might have been had you gone with that 5400rpm drive alone smth;

Kalahari Inkantation

Not me. SocksDood;

i'll just wait around for a 1080ti price drop or smth lol

vega is so bad that i'll probably be waiting a while

Kalahari Inkantation

but that power draw myface;

and the fact that it's still technically weaker than the 1080 which has by now been available for over a year lol

Kalahari Inkantation

you can't just make such a huge cosmetic upgrade without showing off pix :|

Kalahari Inkantation

noice srsly

my pc has such poor æsthetix in comparison lol

i have to wonder how much rgbifying your entire system must have cost you lol sillydood;

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Snowy on August 21, 2017, 02:04:12 PM
The case and RAM together were $300. My GPU was $500 when I bought it, but 99% of aftermarket GPUs are RGB nowadays. I think my water cooler was... $175? My mobo has built in RGB stuff as well, but it's only the line down the side anyways.

i guess that doesn't seem too bad, depending on the gpu model

Quote from: Snowy on August 21, 2017, 02:46:37 PM
tfw you win the silicon lottery and can take your 1600X to 4GHZ RUB IT

noice srsly

Go Up