March 28, 2024, 03:50:07 PM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

BOYAH GUTS THREAD: R8 'N' B8

Started by ME##, December 20, 2014, 10:24:32 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

that sounds all too familiar lol smithicide;

although i probably only have around 1tb of useful pc data total, it's just disorganized and spread among several drives (1.24tb internal, and a cumulative total of maybe 2tb external, and only 1/3 that total 3.24tb is actually in use for something other than backups)

bluaki

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on July 08, 2017, 04:38:03 PM
are you a data hoarder, lote myface;

[spoiler]

i feel like the answer to this is probably obvious sillydood;[/spoiler]
I'm probably the biggest data hoarder here. I save all the anime. And some other stuff like source code, ROMs, ISOs, VMs, etc.

I have a computer I use as a general-purpose home server for NAS, seedbox, VMs, programming, etc. It currently is filled with a bunch of drives: 2x 4TB, 2x 2TB, 1x 1TB, and an SSD. I have each 4TB+2TB pair set up in a RAID0-of-sorts (using btrfs) with automatic hourly and daily snapshots and automatic daily sync between them for backup.

I'm currently using about 4TB/6TB in that setup, with 2TB free.

My laptop and desktop have exclusively SSD storage.

Kalahari Inkantation

oh my jesus christ blu

i though i had a problem lol, but you're somehow much more of a hoarder than even lote

how likely are you to go back and actually revisit 90% of that data at any given moment lol

and i like how you mentioned source code, i bet all of your source code combined probably takes up less than 10gb total, and even that would be extremely high for pure code lol

having a home server certainly would be ne@, though befuddlement

bluaki

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on July 09, 2017, 01:32:47 PM
and i like how you mentioned source code, i bet all of your source code combined probably takes up less than 10gb total, and even that would be extremely high for pure code lol
I believe downloading and compiling all of AOSP (Android) consumes somewhere between 50GB-100GB. That's including source code in a working tree, git data, and intermediary build files.

I don't do this as much at home, but keeping multiple trees checked out for different major versions of Android multiplies that even bigger and can easily burn hundreds of gigabytes. Even more if multiple architectures are involved.

A full build takes 30-60mins even with 24 Xeon cores, way more than that on consumer CPUs, so keeping build artifacts is pretty important.

but yeah, just hoarding the repository data (without build files or any working copies) is probably more like 10-20GB

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on July 09, 2017, 01:32:47 PM
how likely are you to go back and actually revisit 90% of that data at any given moment lol

Probably not very. But this 4TB of used space is even after deleting a handful of shows that I've decided are awful and never worth looking at again or showing/giving to anyone. And this is even after avoiding all 1080p releases (TV anime's normally made for 720p so I think it's a waste), flac audio, and other oversized releases.

My anime folder has 280 directories at the top level, with a lot of nested subdirectories for different seasons and movies (like 10 bakemonogatari things in one, a few seasons and all the movies for pokemon in another, 9 precure shows in a third, etc)

Thyme

hm, i guess i should have, but i never realized that by choosing the case i went with i was relinquishing the privilege of ever having an internal optical drive of any kind sillydood;

i guess i can always get a usb one

Kalahari Inkantation

to be honest, you probably won't even need to use a disc drive more than maybe once every six months lol

Thyme

i kind of wanted to watch movies on it tbh :(

Kalahari Inkantation

if they were movies i already owned, even i would just

uh

'''digitize''' them as a matter of convenience lol ifeelbetter;

Kalahari Inkantation

lol

it looks nice

but i'm not sure i could handle the distraction of colorful bright lights in a dark room

Kalahari Inkantation

i keep mine on a small table so any illumination whatsoever is visible throughout the room in the dark lol

even the flashing of the hdd access indicator sometimes keeps me up when i need to leave it running overnight

Thyme

everything turns on so fast omg RUB IT

Kalahari Inkantation

Aren't you glad you made the choice you did? giggle;

i need to upgrade to a larger ssd myself tbh

bluaki

I just saw an RX 560 4GB available to order on Amazon for $120, so I grabbed it. It's not actually in stock until Mon Jul 17 though. This is the Gigabyte one; Asus and Sapphire aren't available.

I'm still not sure whether getting a 570 instead would be worth it, but it's not in stock so whatever. I have almost a week left to cancel before it ships anyway in case I change my mind by then.

I saw a 570 in stock very briefly on Prime Day for like $230 (list price). I saw it too late to get a chance to even see whether it was eligible for any Prime discounts before it disappeared. I think $230 seems too high for that card, shouldn't it be more like $170? I think the 580 is probably worth about that much.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: bluaki on July 12, 2017, 08:50:45 PM
I just saw an RX 560 4GB available to order on Amazon for $120, so I grabbed it. It's not actually in stock until Mon Jul 17 though. This is the Gigabyte one; Asus and Sapphire aren't available.

I'm still not sure whether getting a 570 instead would be worth it, but it's not in stock so whatever. I have almost a week left to cancel before it ships anyway in case I change my mind by then.

I saw a 570 in stock very briefly on Prime Day for like $230 (list price). I saw it too late to get a chance to even see whether it was eligible for any Prime discounts before it disappeared. I think $230 seems too high for that card, shouldn't it be more like $170? I think the 580 is probably worth about that much.

all of amd's gpus are heinously overpriced at the moment because of the cryptocurrency meme

you're right about the 570 and 580, they're not really worth today's makret prices

how urgently do you need to upgrade, anyway

it might be worth considering waiting4vegaâ,,¢ to see if it shifts prices downwards across the industry

Go Up