March 28, 2024, 03:45:36 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

BOYAH GUTS THREAD: R8 'N' B8

Started by ME##, December 20, 2014, 10:24:32 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

May 23, 2017, 04:39:23 AM #90 Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 04:42:27 AM by Majorana's Mask
Quote from: Thyme on May 10, 2017, 07:43:22 PM
Quote from: Majorana's Mask on May 10, 2017, 07:35:40 PM
this is going to be slightly harder of an evaluation to make with the canadian ruble in mind, but i'll do my best later

myface;

idk this is just what pcpartpicker tells me would be an ok not-too-expensive cpu that comes with a cooler

among non-overclockable i5 cpus, i think you're better off with the 7500

looking at typical canadian pricing, it's a ~10% performance increase for an ~8% price increase

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7500-vs-Intel-Core-i5-7400/3648vs3886

as in, you can increase the performance of your entire system by 10% for 20 canadian rubles

exactly in between the 7400 and the 7500 in terms of price and performance is the r5 1500x

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-1500X-vs-Intel-Core-i5-7500/3921vs3648

out of the box, it's closer to the 7400 in general performance, but it has a few advantages:

• 4 extra threads

• free overclocking

you could probably bring the 1500x's frequency up to 3.7 or 3.8ghz (up from 3.4 by default) at no extra cost, which would bring it closer to the 7500 in performance

strictly for gaming, the 7500 is the moderately superior choice, but for hrdxxxre computing/work or heavily multithreaded games, the 1500x would be generally superior

between those two i personally wouldn't consider the 7400 at all lol, unless your budget is extremely strict

Kalahari Inkantation

it looks like the canadian pricing for the r5 1600 is absolutely awful but if you could somehow find that at a decent price, it'd probably be ideal

Thyme

i went back to my list and it appears i have a 7500 on there

so either i made a typo in that first post or i changed it in my list afterwards and forgot

sillydood;

Kalahari Inkantation

an excellent choice thumbup;

i have the 6500 myself lol

Kalahari Inkantation

i don't trust myself to be able to install or handle water cooling lol

what gpu is that anyway y/n

Thyme

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/thyme1152/saved/pmyGXL

tfw i might do this as soon as next week sillydood;

so now's a good time to point out where i may be goofing up in this list

[spoiler]except for the lack of an SSD, which is intentional; it's just not a priority right now goowan[/spoiler]

Kalahari Inkantation

motherboard looks good, although a tad expensive (but then again i'm not familiar with canadian pricing)

ram looks good

i would personally recommend getting a small ssd for your operating systems and essential programs but if it's really out of the question, you should at the very least try to get a 7200rpm hdd lol

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/internal-hard-drive/#X=0,16946&S=800000,4000000&t=7200&sort=-capacity&page=1

i feel like you could spend less on a case

also isn't that disc reader kind of expe- oh wait bluray nvm lol

and finally, if you can find an r5 1600 for a similar price to the 7500, you might want to consider that, because when overclocked (and they pretty much all overclock, and it's free to overclock) it's at least equal to the 7500 in gaming benchmarks (on average), and marginally better than the 7500 in all other measures

Thyme

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on July 04, 2017, 10:11:44 PM
motherboard looks good, although a tad expensive (but then again i'm not familiar with canadian pricing)

ram looks good

i would personally recommend getting a small ssd for your operating systems and essential programs but if it's really out of the question, you should at the very least try to get a 7200rpm hdd lol

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/internal-hard-drive/#X=0,16946&S=800000,4000000&t=7200&sort=-capacity&page=1

i feel like you could spend less on a case

also isn't that disc reader kind of expe- oh wait bluray nvm lol

and finally, if you can find an r5 1600 for a similar price to the 7500, you might want to consider that, because when overclocked (and they pretty much all overclock, and it's free to overclock) it's at least equal to the 7500 in gaming benchmarks (on average), and marginally better than the 7500 in all other measures

motherboard: yeah it might be the trudeaucoins, it's described as "entry level", idk i'm going mostly with reviews here, and the alleged ease of use
MSI is out of the question because apparently they come with a lot of bloatware ugh idk

SSD: eeeeehhhhh i didn't want to discuss it but you see the reason i'm so hesitant is because i'm not dealing with an OS, but two OSes, and installing partitions on a HDD was already complicated enough for a dumbfuck like me, on a SSD it seems even more daunting and at least now with just a HDD i stay in familiar territory
tbh this whole operation is already daunting as it is and i just don't want to make it worse >.<

case: idk man that's what comes up with those parametric filters, fractal design is my E S T H É T I Q U E and the other filters aren't THAT demanding, at least four stars, no side window...
trudeaucoins, maybe?
i guess i could look one last time for another manufacturer with similar designs

overclocking: lmao no >.<

snowy: watercooling isn't out of the question, but i guess it can wait, i just don't want to spend too much at once, i'll monitor the temps and if it gets too hot i'll consider it
at least i've got the watts to spare lol

Thyme

oh and mind you those prices had tax included, which is 15 fucking percent in quebec, so of course they're going to look a bit bloated lol

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on July 05, 2017, 04:53:47 AM
SSD: eeeeehhhhh i didn't want to discuss it but you see the reason i'm so hesitant is because i'm not dealing with an OS, but two OSes, and installing partitions on a HDD was already complicated enough for a dumbfuck like me, on a SSD it seems even more daunting and at least now with just a HDD i stay in familiar territory
tbh this whole operation is already daunting as it is and i just don't want to make it worse >.<

Why would it be any more difficult than partitioning an HDD? befuddlement

[spoiler]

no, seriously, i can't imagine why it would be any different

signed, tec, who has somehow gone his entire life without needing to partition a drive sillydood;[/spoiler]

also i find the notion of you struggling over something that's purportedly so basic kind of hilarious

aren't you a web designer, i'm sure it's not that hard lol

In any case, if you do ultimately decide against an SSD, you absolutely should not be looking at slowest-of-the-slow 5400RPM HDDs. 7200RPM is the bare minimum necessary for survival. myface;

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Snowy on July 05, 2017, 04:04:00 AM
Yeah I would recommend an SSD for your OS. I got a 120g one for like $40 a while ago. And if you do decide to overclocked, make sure you get a watercooler. An air cooler can't keep up with the heat being generated. Hell, even without overclocking my 1600X runs a bit warm.

snowy: watercooling isn't out of the question, but i guess it can wait, i just don't want to spend too much at once, i'll monitor the temps and if it gets too hot i'll consider it
at least i've got the watts to spare lol

When/how often is watercooling ever actually useful? befuddlement

i find that in the overwhelming majority of cases, the stock fan cooler is sufficient, unless you happen to be overclocking to extreme levels

and even then, you could spend like $30 on a third-party cooler and that in most cases is enough

as opposed to spending $100+ on a watercooling setup, which i feel is only ever really necessary when you, for whatever reason, need to eke every last drop of performance out of your machine, and simply buying better processors is, again for whatever reason, completely out of the question

Kalahari Inkantation

overclocking: lmao no >.<

it's easier than you think it is

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yMLKcaFirw[/youtube]

and note that there was no third-party fan or watercooler necessary

Now if only it were this simple for non-K Intel CPUs. smithicide;

Quote from: Snowy on July 05, 2017, 10:31:47 AM
Also keep in mind, out of the box the 1600X doesn't come with a cooler lmao. You'd have to get one separately.

which is why i would only specifically recommend the 1600, as it's $30 less (in ameribux) than the 1600x, comes with its own v. good cooler, and the overwhelming majority of 1600s can be easily overclocked to 1600x levels (and at that level it's superior to the 7500)

Kalahari Inkantation

so in your case watercooling makes sense, but thyme lives in canada lol

although your overheating problems sound especially bad, even despite your climate

when was the last time you examined your thermal paste or did a full case cleaning y/n

Quote from: Snowy on July 05, 2017, 02:37:22 PM
Oh the standard 1600 comes with one? I heard the spire wraith or w/e it's called is really good. I also heard the one that comes with the 1700 and 1800 is pretty baller as well.

yes, and it's supposedly v. good, and it's the same one that comes with the 1700 lol

the 1700x and 1800x have even better ones

and while overclocking may not be necessary, if you can reasonably overclock at no extra cost, then there's no reason not to imo

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Snowy on July 05, 2017, 02:41:30 PM
also tec did you ever buy ram to replace the set you never got?

if you haven't get G-Skill

it lights up

No. awdood;

http://boyah.net/forums/index.php/topic,59090.msg1550958.html#msg1550958

smithicide;

and i'm 2poor4rgb

Thyme

revised: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/thyme1152/saved/pmyGXL

added an SSD, switched the HDD to a 7200, removed the blu-ray reader because that can wait i guess awdood;

i'm sticking with the non-k i5 7500 because it comes with a cooler 5thgrade;

[spoiler]and because i won't fall for tec's amd shilling baddood;[/spoiler]

Go Up