April 17, 2024, 07:09:54 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

BOYAH GUTS THREAD: R8 'N' B8

Started by ME##, December 20, 2014, 10:24:32 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

"Do not let us". Yeah, I get it, but I always stumble on it too because it's an unnecessarily difficult pair of contractions to parse in an instant. argh;

which is why it's seriously a GREAT name choice lol i trip up every time

C.Mongler

probably gonna buy a modular psu, a new mobo, and finally, A NEW FUCKIN CPU soon. especially if i lose this xbox one bid on ebay lel

think im probably just gonna get a skylake i7, kaby lake i7 doesnt really seem like all that much of an upgrade. maybe a kaby i5, i dunno help

Kalahari Inkantation

My computer isn't even a year old and I'm already thinking about upgrading from a Fury to a Vega GPU. sillydood;

i hope they don't suck but we'll see (god dammit amd please don't shit out yet Another Massive Disappointment)

I'm also a little tempted to upgrade my CPU at the same time, but to go from an i5 6500 to a i7 within one generation of each other would really just be an expensive e-peen enhancement with little actual performance gain.

But the Fury will be two generations old by the time Vega launches, and I think upgrading every two or three architectural generations is a lot more reasonable as easier to justify.

Kalahari Inkantation

C.Mongler

i have an i5 4690k currently; it's not terrible but it definitely bottlenecks on some shit

Kalahari Inkantation

oh, i'm not sure i'd want to upgrade from that even now, that's still a v. good cpu

Are you playing at 2.5k or more?

C.Mongler

not playing ultra HD, just 1080p, but i do try and hit 144 fps on games that allow for it. i mean it could also just be my cpu getting too dang hot, i should do more testing. i really need to install this big bitchin fan i bought forever ago but i would need to unmount my mobo to do it, and i kind of hate my mobo so if i do that i just want to get a new one and if im doin' all that whats another 300 bucks amirite

but also my computer's spot isnt the best ventilated either, i need to move my fuckin game shelf but i got nowhere for it to go unless i get a storage unit in the baement then maybe i can move this bitch out there

C.Mongler

thanks for talking this through with me bb, maybe i'll just get a modular psu (cuz i want one) and a new mobo and call it a day. gotta test SOME SHIT

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: C.Mongler on April 26, 2017, 01:05:50 PM
but i do try and hit 144 fps on games that allow for it

oh okay i see, i just assumed you were aiming for 60

if a regular >100fps is your goal then yeah you might actually benefit from a cpu upgrade

but absolutely the only option that would make sense for you is the i7 7700k, anything else would be notably inferior in terms of price/performance for 144fps/1080p

Quote from: C.Mongler on April 26, 2017, 01:10:35 PM
thanks for talking this through with me bb, maybe i'll just get a modular psu (cuz i want one) and a new mobo and call it a day. gotta test SOME SHIT

i actually love sperging out about tech specs (and tech decks) lol

Kalahari Inkantation

noice wrench;

what was it you had before lol

and why did you not pick a comparable intel cpu

Kalahari Inkantation

May 10, 2017, 07:06:48 PM #85 Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:53:56 AM by Majorana's Mask
imo ryzen has proven to be great competition in gaming for all but intel's two super-overclockers: the 7600k and the 7700k, which objectively remain the kings of the gaming hill

that being said,

Quote from: Snowy on May 10, 2017, 06:23:12 PM
way faster than my old CPU so I can't complain

looking at the benchmarx, they're actually surprisingly close

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600X/2432vs3920

and you probably could have cut your costs by a further $20 or so by opting for the 1600 (non-x), since they're both overclockable out of the box anyway and the 1600 can hit up to 3.8ghz without too much trouble

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/2432vs3919

finally, i have definitely seen the 7600k available on sale for around $200-$220, but you do have to look for it, plus you'd have to buy your own cooler

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/3885vs3919

on the other hand, you get a much newer architecture/chipset, 4 extra cores, lower temperatures, ostensibly smoother gameplay, and superior desktop performance, so i think it all works out in the end lol

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Thyme on May 10, 2017, 07:24:07 PM
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-A10-5700-APU-vs-Intel-Core-i5-7400/2939vs3886

thyme old cpu vs potential new cpu

lol

this is going to be slightly harder of an evaluation to make with the canadian ruble in mind, but i'll do my best later

Thyme

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on May 10, 2017, 07:35:40 PM
this is going to be slightly harder of an evaluation to make with the canadian ruble in mind, but i'll do my best later

myface;

idk this is just what pcpartpicker tells me would be an ok not-too-expensive cpu that comes with a cooler

C.Mongler

so this weekend i FINALLY put this fucking thing into my PC that i have had for like 5 years now sitting in a box:

(not my rig, but its a CoolMaster Hyper 212 EVO)

The difference is night n FUCKIN DAY. but i was using a stock cooler before so thats really not a fucking surprise. before games would cook my god damn CPU, the fan would run at fucking BLAST OFF speeds constantly, and it would idle at the temps my cpu now is at under LOAD. fuckin' sik. i also learned that a lot of the thermal paste had wore off my stock sink so that probably wasnt helping lol but now my pc is cool and best of all its fucking quiet; shit doesnt even blast off anymore. my cpu is OC'd at 4.00 ghz but i might be able to kick it up a slight notch now heh heh

Go Up