June 28, 2024, 01:07:39 PM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Starfox Wii U, out before Zelda Wii U

Started by The artist formally known, December 05, 2014, 10:47:18 PM

previous topic - next topic

How excite

5 very
0 (0%)
4 yes please
1 (9.1%)
3 meh ill pick it up at cheapness
5 (45.5%)
2 poop
3 (27.3%)
1 stop nintendo, stop
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Go Down

don't let's

I'm almost the opposite. I liked command alright, but hated the touch controls. I would have preferred being able to use the d-pad.

C.Mongler

command was fine, but yeah dpad controls would have been nice, but it worked well enough. at least they didnt make it so like you controlled your aiming with the touch screen and then your ship's steering with the dpad because that's basically Zero in a nutshell lol

also star fox adventures was a fun game??? like it wasn't what people wanted sure, but it was still fun, calm your tits lol

Kalahari Inkantation

sure but it would have been just as fun without its arranged shotgun marriage to an already well established and entirely unrelated franchise

star fox was completely and pointlessly derailed as a consequence of miyamoto's bewilderingly misguided decision

almost fifteen years and a retcon/reboot later, the series still hasn't recovered even a fraction of its pre-adventures excellence and it never will awdood;

C.Mongler

star fucks had 2 games released games at the launch of adventures, it wasn't so much that it was "established" but rather that people lost their collective shit about 64. star fox OG hasn't even held up that well lol, it was a technical marvel at the time, but these days it's a damn eyesore. when you say "the franchise" you mean star fox 64. it was purposefully derailed because people wouldn't shut the fuck up about wanting another star fox game when they clearly didn't have any good ideas for another on-rail space shooter, as indicated by the fact that every on-rail shooter star fox since has been plain-jane boring ass. even star fox 64 was essentially just a remake of the SNES game. the problem was is they couldn't figure out how to make a new star fox game that both did something new and unique from it's predecessors while keeping the star fox spirit without just literally remaking star fox SNES/64 over and over again.

i'd suck 10 dicks for star fox adventures 2 tbh fuck the on rail shooter bit of this franchise at this point for all i'm concerned

don't let's

I liked Assault alright too but it was too short and needed more content.

TooB

Quote from: â," on July 14, 2016, 02:30:10 PM
I liked Assault alright too but it was too short and needed more content.
Assault honestly should have been where the series should've gone.

Like, just fix a few issues and have a few more shooter levels and a few less on foot missions, and it would've been great.

IMHO

C.Mongler

i'm still not very far into zero but if they patched it and made the shitty wii u pad controls optional, it'd be fine, srsly lol

TooB

Quote from: C.Mongler on July 14, 2016, 04:50:49 PM
i'm still not very far into zero but if they patched it and made the shitty wii u pad controls optional, it'd be fine, srsly lol
I agree

Many say that you "get used to them" but I'd take non motion controls anyday.

C.Mongler

SORRY TO DIG THIS SHIT UP AGAIN, but i just happened to watch this last night and i thought it was a neat look at this game, and sums up how i feel more neatly than i can (bcuz i'm an idiot)

[youtube]m544qfVMIPs[/youtube]

but yeah, it's interesting to look at this game knowing ninty and platinum intended for this to be an experience YOU COULD NOT HAVE ON ANOTHER PLATFORM which i guess would have been admirable if this game wasn't kind of ass and actually worked. i thought it was interesting too how he pulled up the dev quotes that were like YEAH THEY'LL JUST HAVE TO LEARN IT EVENTUALLY IT'LL BE FINE like that's not the exact opposite of what people come to expect playing a ninty game. anyway, was p interesting if u got like 14 minutes to waste

Thyme

yeah i like mark brown that channel is tight

C.Mongler

tbh i fell in a rabbit hole and watched like 7 of his videos last night lol, but it started with this one

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: C.Mongler on July 14, 2016, 01:18:01 PM
the problem was is they couldn't figure out how to make a new star fox game that both did something new and unique from it's predecessors while keeping the star fox spirit

except they themselves literally did exactly that with the second game in the series

star fox 2 wasn't confined to rails at all, it was a 360° shooter with a real-time strategy metagame that allowed you to freely advance towards your destination of choice in space whether it be an enemy battleship, space station, full planet, etc.

sometimes your destination selected you: bosses and star wolf team members were sporadically dispatched to your location to thwart your advancement towards important bases

it gave you control of three ship classes, each with meaningfully differing attributes, and each with the ability to instantaneously transform into a bipedal tank for combat versatility on planetary surfaces or within bases/motherships

it offered seamless transition from outdoor to indoor environments

it took its predecessor's base gameplay and expanded upon it immensely while maintaining all the elements that made the original great, and without turning it into a completely different game

...aaand then miyamoto cancelled it, but even that isn't an excuse for the sorry state of star fox today

sf2 is definitive evidence that there is (was) an ideal middle ground, somewhere in between repeating the same on-rails gameplay ad infinitum or superimposing star fox assets onto a entirely different game, and the choice between those does not need and has never needed to be binary

nintendo's failure to innovate intelligently since 64 is not reflective of some fault inherent to star fox, it's reflective of nintendo's own incompetence

god, could you imagine how much healthier this franchise would be today had it had the chance to firmly establish both a continuity and a precedent for greatly expanded gameplay for itself in the snes era

miyamoto's cancelling of sf2 was the equivalent of a fourth-trimester abortion for the star fox ip

Quote from: C.Mongler on July 14, 2016, 01:18:01 PM
star fox OG hasn't even held up that well lol

i beg to differ but i do concede that i'm probably not the most objective person when it comes to star fox lol

TooB

I just played OG Star Fox  a few days ago. It holds up.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Big Goop on September 29, 2016, 08:35:05 AM

agreed wrench;

you should play star fox 2 one of these days if you haven't

actually, everyone should

it holds up even better

TooB

Quote from: Tectron on September 29, 2016, 09:22:55 AM
Quote from: Big Goop on September 29, 2016, 08:35:05 AM

agreed wrench;

you should play star fox 2 one of these days if you haven't

actually, everyone should

it holds up even better
i actually was thinking of maybe buying a reproduction cart of SF2

Go Up