March 28, 2024, 01:24:28 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Why has human progress ground to halt

Started by snoorkel, December 05, 2014, 11:48:14 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

snoorkel

http://aeon.co/magazine/science/why-has-human-progress-ground-to-a-halt/

Discuss

PCs and screen widgets are a fad that we will simply not have in 50 years. we're wasting our time.

silvertone

ME##

humans no longer live in the fear of total destruction by nuclear weapons.  without this pressing fear, all of our r&d time has gone to making the best time wasters

don't let's

Socks

I don't agree that human progress has ground to a halt. But human progress has changed its speed relative to human population increasing and the disorder within human communities increasing. Let me explain by imagery and anology. If you push a stiff stick forward for example, you will see the same reach at the end which is applied to push at the beginning. This represents both less human population and order. Now, if you push a shoelace, the end reach will not be the same because this object is not organized or constructed the same as the stick, so it will just curl and seem to go nowhere, even if it is moving. This represents human overpopulation and disorder, typified by the focus on the individual and many life options available today. So it takes more push (development) today, to reach the same speed (progress) of previous human efforts and history. Mostly since the industrial revolution because this theory falls apart in nuance when applied to the human time before that.

I will pop some stuff in my mouth and nose and will update this topic from my brain soon.

silvertone

there is no more nazi scientists, unethical science is the key to progress. that's how we got out of the dark ages 1000 years ago

Socks

Dark ages were alive and well in Europe 1000 years ago sir.

silvertone

the dark ages didnt end in a day. but it was invented in one

klappa

December 09, 2014, 07:38:46 AM #8 Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:44:27 AM by klappa
Offshore drilling.
Mudslimes.
Slavs.
Weed.
The Mario Board.
Furries.
Everything Japanese.
Suburban Ameriburgers.

Socks

What happened to my earlier post? Did I accidentally delete it?

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Socks on December 09, 2014, 10:41:15 AM
What happened to my earlier post? Did I accidentally delete it?

somebody did

it's been restored

caponehollywood

no more centralized power. liberalism in the modern sense. everyone's too fucking cozy to take risks, and there's no incentive to
Quote from: antmaster5000 on October 21, 2015, 03:01:13 AM
me

10% of the worlds biomass is ants
ants
ants

i am antmaster

silvertone

Quote from: caponehollywood on November 11, 2015, 01:32:13 PM
no more centralized power. liberalism in the modern sense. everyone's too fucking cozy to take risks, and there's no incentive to
maybe people aren't cozy enough

caponehollywood

Quote from: hamfusk on November 11, 2015, 06:23:34 PM
Quote from: caponehollywood on November 11, 2015, 01:32:13 PM
maybe people aren't cozy enough

the people that should be too cozy aren't cozy enough, and those that shouldn't be are
Quote from: antmaster5000 on October 21, 2015, 03:01:13 AM
me

10% of the worlds biomass is ants
ants
ants

i am antmaster

Go Up