March 28, 2024, 01:41:50 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Hong Kong democracy protests

Started by ME##, October 03, 2014, 08:28:42 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

ME##

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Hong_Kong_protests

The original "reform" proposed by the NPCSC is laughable at best, it allows Peking to have the last say after people in Hong Kong have voiced their opinions.

And it seems that the [mainland] government is sending in triads to break up the demonstrations with violence.

[spoiler]tbh i'm surprised tec hasn't posted this year

also i hope the roc sends in support to the protesters so we get to see some sparks fly RUB IT [/spoiler]

Kalahari Inkantation

October 03, 2014, 09:09:20 PM #1 Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 09:17:56 PM by Tectron
tbh, i didn't post about it because i figured it'd blow over within a month lol

it sucks for hong kong, but as the movement is entirely contained within a tiny island/peninsula that makes up 3% of china's gdp and <1% of its population, its concerns are utterly meaningless to beijing

unless there's a significant escalation (or retaliation) in violence from the anti-beijing side, i fully expect that protester vigor will dwindle over the course of the next week or two, the movement will recede with nothing accomplished and hong kong will be forced to accept its fate

and even if the protesters are more persistent than that, china will send provocateurs to incite controversy and infighting within the movement so that onlookers are less likely to sympathize with it

and we've already witnessed the fairly sudden appearance of a pro-beijing counter protest

that being said, i do expect for movements like these to become more common in china as the average citizen becomes wealthier and begins to request more civil liberties

ME##

Quote from: Tectron on October 03, 2014, 09:09:20 PM
tbh, i didn't post about it because i figured it'd blow over within a month lol

it sucks for hong kong, but as the movement is entirely contained within a tiny island/peninsula that makes up 3% of china's gdp and <1% of its population, its concerns are utterly meaningless to beijing

unless there's a significant escalation (or retaliation) in violence from the anti-beijing side, i fully expect that protester vigor will dwindle over the course of the next week or two, the movement will recede with nothing accomplished and hong kong will be forced to accept its fate

and even if the protestors are more persistent than that, china will send provocateurs to incite controversy and infighting within the movement so that onlookers are less likely to sympathize with it

and we've already witnessed the fairly sudden appearance of a pro-beijing counter protest

that being said, i do expect for movements like these to become more common in china the average citizen becomes wealthier and begins to request more civil liberties
yeah that's unfortunately true.

it would be nice if somehow i could feel like the news of hong kong's mostly meaningless protests were making their presence felt on the mainland, but that's definitely not the case lol :(

rip hk

Kalahari Inkantation

lol

considering how thorough china is about maintaining its great firewall i would bet that most mainlanders aren't even aware of the movement, at least not in terms of size and significance

and even those who are aware are most likely heavily influenced by anti-protester propaganda and regard them as mere ruffians and troublemakers

hong kong's relative freedom was never meant to be a permanent thing anyway, there's no way that """one country, two systems""" solution was meant to be a long-term policy, the ultimate goal was always to gradually allow (or force) hong kong and macau to converge with mainland policy and eventually end up fully under beijing's control

hope you enjoyed your freedom while it lasted hong kong, welcome back to the motherland

ME##

according cnn [lol i know], cctv was playing the protests off as hong kong gearing up for national day at first lol

and ugh, so true  :(

snoorkel

ME##

Daddy

香港是中国çš,, baddood;

ME##

Daddy

That gets posted on a lot of engrish sites but I think it's a joke. 

A lot of chinese forums have that, and other images with the phrase, posted with the phrase equivalent to "hilarious".

Then the "Same place, same dream" caption is also on serious images like people posing in front of tiananmen

silvertone

One place One Dream, One Donkey Kong, Hong Kong

Socks

In a way, the CCP has already lost because of these student protests in HK. Their ability to hang tough,  wait it out, try various tactics and ply both aloof and engaged at the same time seems to have worked to sap support for the protest movement, and now they are gradually dismantling the occupied zones. But the movement has served to highlight a few things, certainly the future struggle in the mainland for more public rights and representation will take this model, and this saga has ensured that Taiwan will want nothing to do with any merger offer from China.

On a side note, I very much enjoyed stiff politburo members having a difficult time making eye contact, smiling or even debating the student protest leaders. Very fun to watch.

Socks

I like how China chose to act more forcefully and attempt to clear out the HK protestors around the same time the Ferguson riots are taking place. Knowing the US would have little authority to speak up publicly on Chinese action in Hong Kong. Meanwhile, I am sure CCTV and Xhinuha have been reporting nonstop on he black people looting, setting fires and confronting police. Playing into their narrative of law and order and defacing the US by showing our ethnically plural society, since they hate diversity and especially blacks.

Kalahari Inkantation

http://qz.com/332033/disenchanted-hong-kongers-are-preparing-to-escape-beijings-rule/

beijing could not possibly hope for a better outcome

the emigration of pro-democracy hong kongers only further solidifies the city's subordinate status to beijing lol

Go Up