April 16, 2024, 02:50:08 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

buying a new laptop (!!)

Started by Mando Pandango, September 20, 2014, 09:12:15 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Mando Pandango

my tehnical knowledge is only so deep so help me boyah. it needs to be able to play vidyagames now and into the forseeable future with decency (if not excellency). it's gotta LAST and it has to work as a standard workstation for school as well. Gotta be under $1500

So far my own knowledge combined with customer reviews on newegg and amazon have led me to:

ASUS N550JK:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231684

OR

Lenovo Y50 (normally I wouldn't bother with the 4k but newegg has a great deal on it rn):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834317540

Which would you recommend? Do you have another model you'd recommend? Why? If I go with the Lenovo should I bother with the 4k or not (it's only $50 more than the next-highest model)? Am I overreaching? Underreaching?

Help pls.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

ME##

Tbh I'd probably go with the Lenovoo

Hiro

more ram and better resolution, vs more tasteful look and touch screen
i have a lenovo y410p, which is basically last year's model of that laptop (maybe a level down) and it's pretty nice, but both of them will be great laptops
but really at that price level why not just build a beast of a desktop

Mando Pandango

portability is paramount. i'm not grounded in one place at the moment, nor will i be for the next year. i'm going between home and school a lot.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Classic

It's about time.

I've had my Lenovo for almost 2 years and love it.

But that's all I can give. I'm no techie.

Hiro

Quote from: Sir Popsicle the Sesquipedalian on September 20, 2014, 02:53:59 PM
portability is paramount. i'm not grounded in one place at the moment, nor will i be for the next year. i'm going between home and school a lot.
ah well in that case those are both really nice machines wrench;

snoorkel

Mando Pandango

why are red keyboard backlights so popular they are DISGUSTING

ME##

Quote from: Sir Popsicle the Sesquipedalian on September 22, 2014, 04:12:32 PM
why are red keyboard backlights so popular they are DISGUSTING
red denotes performance

Mando Pandango

So I stumbled across a manufacturer called Malibal whose lower end models are in my price range, and they're suuuuuper customizable. Everything else I was looking at I felt like I was compromising in some area. Reviews seem great. Policies seem great. Seems pretty fuckin great.

Probably gonna go with one of their Lotus models unless someone strongly advises against it.

also you can change the color of the keyboard backlight on this bitch whaaaaaaat

Mando Pandango

or i can go to xoticpc and get a sager which is literally the same thing with the same specs for what i think is cheaper but i may have overlooked something

snoorkel

Hiro

ehhhhh
i did not like the red lights either but now that i have it i don't mind it at all

Mando Pandango

Quote from: infinite luxury on September 22, 2014, 10:25:01 PM
pics/specs?
Sager NP8268
1080p matte
Intel i7 4810MQ (2.8GHz quad core)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M (user upgradeable)
16 GB RAM (It doesn't say it's user upgradeable but I'm positive that it is)
1TB 7200RPM HDD
bells
whistles
$1294 with free shipping

I'm thinking of throwing down another $100 or so for an additional 120GB SSD to boot from and store games on but idk if it's worth it.

pretty great deal tho

Mando Pandango

Go Up