April 18, 2024, 04:20:35 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Hiro Phone Thread

Started by Hiro, September 19, 2014, 12:30:59 PM

previous topic - next topic

Which get

Moto X (Gen 2)
1 (33.3%)
Moto X (Gen 1)
1 (33.3%)
Xperia Z3 Compact
0 (0%)
Other
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Go Down

Hiro

September 19, 2014, 12:30:59 PM Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 12:44:06 PM by y-i
I'm trying to figure out what to get here. The new Moto X looks really nice and is the phone I've been waiting for. However, the storage only goes up to 32gb with no microsd support. Even my current (wifi-only) smartphone (budget model Droid Razr M) has 8gb internal with a 32gb microsd card inside, for a total of 40gb. I find that too small for me, as I have to regularly manage apps, clear cache, etc; and then if I want to put new music on I have to take something off. With only 32gb I would have to probably take around 10gb of music/photos off of that which I don't really want to do. However since I'll be getting T-Mobile, maybe it won't be a problem since I can stream with Play Music.

I could also just get last year's Moto X. It's not as nice build-wise, and the internals are a good bit worse, but it should still run well. My main reasons for considering it are the smaller size, 64gb option (why does the old one have this but not the new one???), and costing $125 less than the new model.

An iPhone 6 would be nice due to the 128gb option, but I'd have to use iTunes, and the phone itself costs way too much so I'm going to toss this idea out.

One more option I'm starting to like is the Sony Xperia Z3 compact. Camera seems to be very good, battery life is supposedly insane based on some reviews I've looked at (about twice that of the Moto X), the size is really nice, and it has 16gb internal with support for up to 128gb microsd. I wouldn't have all the lovely customization and wood options and such that the Moto X has, but the teal option still looks pretty nice. Really I think the main downside to this phone would be the ugly ui skin Sony likes to put on all their phones. I would also be missing out on some nice Moto X features like voice-only search, the nice lock screen, and promise of fast upgrades to Android L.

Either way I'm going to be missing out on a few things I want, so I'm really unsure of what to do.

ME##

Go for last year's Moto X, and if Motorola fixes the storage issue with this year's try to offload it on Craigslist or eBay. 

But if pure storage is what you're after go for the Z3, imo Sony's skin isn't as terribad as it used to be and isn't as ugly as say LG's.

Hiro

September 19, 2014, 01:02:37 PM #2 Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 01:15:20 PM by y-i
I actually think some parts of LG's skin are nice, but both are kinda bad, though not as disgusting as Samsung's ugly;

YPrrrr

As far as expandable storage I know the HTC One M8 now has a slot for an SD card and obviously the Galaxy but you've made your opinion known on Samsung girl;

Hiro

I was really liking the M7 when it came out, but the M8 is just too big for me, as nice as it seems

ME##

imo even the m7 is too large :(

YPrrrr

Yeah I really don't like the trend of phones meant for your pocket turning into tablets awdood;

ME##

Quote from: YPR Classic on September 19, 2014, 02:47:02 PM
Yeah I really don't like the trend of phones meant for your pocket turning into tablets awdood;
they're meant for your manpurse

Hiro

Quote from: David on September 19, 2014, 01:24:12 PM
imo even the m7 is too large :(
yeah i kinda agree, it was really pretty but a little too big
the new moto x is bigger rofl

Hiro

Hiro

So to summarize:

Moto X 2014
++ Great hardware
++ Moto Voice, Assist, Actions and Display
+ Leather option
- A bit too big
-- Limiting storage space

Moto X 2013
++ 64GB option
+ Great size
+ Older versions of Moto Voice etc
- Outdated hardware
- Bad camera

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
++ MicroSD slot
+ Great size
+ Better camera
+ Great battery life
- No Moto Voice, Display, etc
-- Ugly UI

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Hiro

Quote from: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo on September 20, 2014, 01:16:27 PM
whats wrong with samsung?
crappy plastic, loaded with silly features & apps, ugly ui skinning, and gaming spec tests
also the awful ads but that's a seperate issue

now they're not terrible, but those are what's wrong with them since you asked

strongbad

I love my moto g gen 2 ;o
Expandable memory whaaaat

Hiro

Go Up