March 28, 2024, 12:48:10 PM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Unpopular Opinions: Vidya Game Edition

Started by Commander Fuckass, June 26, 2014, 07:55:17 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Nyerp

well, you'd kind of expect there to be a tough boss fight inside this ancient eldritch abomination that the game's been building up the whole time. instead you get an easy fight that serves more of a narrative purpose than a gameplay one. i like it, but i totally understand why most people don't.

Kalahari Inkantation

June 10, 2018, 12:26:37 PM #316 Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 12:42:14 PM by Majorana's Mask
it's that exact subversion of the player's expectations that i think makes demon's souls's's's ending so effective

i think it should be pretty obvious that the real final boss is doppelganger allant at the end of boletaria, everything after that is basically playable exposition

but the point is to create a crystal clear contrast between the once incredibly powerful king allant at his height, and the literal slug that he has become since succumbing to the unfathomably corruptive power of souls

he hasn't just become weaker than he once was, he's become the weakest and most pitiful creature in the entire game, and you, the player, would be a complete fool to think that you can handle souls any better than he did should you, too, succumb to their temptation by choosing the bad ending

idk i love it lol, it just says so much without relying on text or cutscenes

it's a great part of the reason why i think demon's souls has BY FAR the best plot of any souls game, or bloodborne

TooB

but... bloodborne has

[spoiler]aliens[/spoiler]

Kalahari Inkantation

June 21, 2018, 07:11:32 AM #318 Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 08:19:29 AM by Magyarorszag
Quote from: Big Goop on June 10, 2018, 01:40:02 PM
but... bloodborne has

[spoiler]aliens[/spoiler]

lol

to be honest, i still don't quite get bloodborne's plot (except in the utmost basic sense - playing with poorly understood forces leads to human augmentation gone horribly wrong)

it's like 3 different coexisting plotlines

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Big Goop on May 18, 2017, 11:23:15 AM
Quote from: Majorana's Mask on May 18, 2017, 10:52:18 AM
Quote from: Big Goop on May 17, 2017, 04:19:38 PM
You know, after playing Zelda more, I hate to say it, but botw is en route to becoming my least favorite zelda title.

Now THIS is an opinion I don't want to hear. >.<

could you provide an utmost generic, sanitized, spoiler-free explanation of why you are beginning to feel this way

as it's a zelda game, i'm pretty sure i already know the answer, but i just want to make sure
I can try

[spoiler]1. I'm not a fan of the breakable weapons. I know you constantly get more, but there's an inherent problem with relying on picking up weapons as you go; you can't settle on one combat type. You have to be comfortable with using swords, boomerangs (which suck), giant two-handers, spears, etc. Maybe I just wanna use a sword dangit.

2. The open world is a bit TOO big. It seems weird to complain about this, but it's an issue for me. Mainly because exploration, mostly just getting around, is not all that fun to me. Navigating the map usually boils down to, find a tall cliff you can jump off to paraglide around with. And don't get me started with climbing cliffsides and the FUCKING RAIN!!!

3. Speaking of climbing, it's too slow. This is more a nitpick than a genuine complaint though.

4. This is probably the biggest thing personally; there's like, no damn story in this game. It's all pretty much optional if you want something, but even then, it's not even very interesting. I know most Zelda games have little, or simple plots, but they were usually enough to carry me along. This game isn't doing that for me.

5.I feel that it relies too much on the "survival elements" to remain compelling. Like, to try to keep you immersed in the world.

6. This point is a little more vague, but it simply does not feel like a Zelda game. I can't fully explain easily what I mean, but when I pick up a Zelda title, there is a certain feel that I expect, and I don't get it here.

7. After doing a couple Divine Beasts, I'm kinda sad that there's no "real" dungeon (yet) in the game. Even the divine beasts just feel like a shrine, just.... a bit bigger. They're more complex, sure, but they're over pretty quickly.

Basically, in summary, I still think it's a good game, but I don't like it as a "Zelda" game [/spoiler]

I'd still recommend you play it though, as I am most definitely in the minority here.

it's so unfortunate that you turned out to be completely correct about all of this

in fact, i may be even more bitter about botw than you are awdood;

TooB

Yeah, it's unfortunate....

Btw, what's the the popular opinion on Marina vs pearl?

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Big Goop on June 23, 2018, 07:56:45 PM
Yeah, it's unfortunate....

Btw, what's the the popular opinion on Marina vs pearl?

[spoiler=in general, this:][/spoiler]

[spoiler=though i have to admit that pearl has grown on me:][/spoiler]

Kalahari Inkantation

June 30, 2018, 06:27:58 AM #322 Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 09:53:29 AM by Magyarorszag
i honestly think that dark souls 2 is the most difficult game in the trilogy, certain boss fights notwithstanding

and while i generally dislike the soul memory mechanic and have mixed feelings about enemy extinction, i do appreciate how those two systems work together in an attempt to make every single soul meaningful/valuable, and make the loss of souls all the more devastating

there aren't any consequences for losing souls in the other games, aside from the loss of the player's time

TooB

Quote from: Magyarorszag on June 30, 2018, 06:27:58 AM
i honestly think that dark souls 2 is the most difficult game in the trilogy, certain boss fights notwithstanding

and while i generally dislike the soul memory mechanic and have mixed feeling about enemy extinction, i do appreciate how those two systems work together in an attempt to make every single soul meaningful/valuable, and make the loss of souls all the more devastating

there aren't any consequences for losing souls in the other games, aside from the loss of the player's time
you should play the ps4 version

Kalahari Inkantation

judging by the little i have played of it, it's absolutely the most punishing dark souls game

Thyme

June 30, 2018, 10:04:11 AM #325 Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 10:09:08 AM by Thyme
well gee since this is the unpopular opinions thread and you guys started talking about dark souls, i'll use this opportunity to mention this probably very unpopular opinion of mine:

not only would i not mind a legitimate easy mode, i want one

by legitimate i mean you select it in the options or at the start of the game and the enemy attacks deal less damage

and/or you only lose half your souls when you die

Nyerp

you can already turn dark souls into the easiest game ever if you have an internet conncection

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Thyme on June 30, 2018, 10:04:11 AM
well gee since this is the unpopular opinions thread and you guys started talking about dark souls, i'll use this opportunity to mention this probably very unpopular opinion of mine:

not only would i not mind a legitimate easy mode, i want one

by legitimate i mean you select it in the options or at the start of the game and the enemy attacks deal less damage

and/or you only lose half your souls when you die

now that's an unpopular opinion, but i suppose i understand

Quote from: Nyerp on June 30, 2018, 10:33:54 AM
you can already turn dark souls into the easiest game ever if you have an internet conncection

Also, this. srsly

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Samus Aran on August 14, 2018, 12:34:19 PM
Quote from: Detective Spatchcock on August 13, 2018, 09:38:49 PMI hadn't bought a new console game in a while so I went out and got Shovel Knight, A Link Between Worlds, and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for 3DS today

man, ALBW is so fuckin good

Quote from: YPrrrr on August 14, 2018, 12:36:59 PMYeah i thought it was just going to be bleh ALTTP again but it's really good

hot take: 95% of the reason botw is good is because alttp is good

i like albw but it's just waaaaaaaaaaay too conservative

it's basically just alttp in 3d + wall-merging gimmick

i was hoping it would greatly expound upon alttp's world rather just 3dify it in almost the exact form it appeared originally

if albw had come out five years after alttp rather than over two decades later, there would rightfully have been valid complaints about it being far too similar to alttp

Samus Aran

ok that's cool but the game is still fucking great

Go Up