April 23, 2024, 10:42:40 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Unpopular Opinions: Vidya Game Edition

Started by Commander Fuckass, June 26, 2014, 07:55:17 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

Quote from: wawi on May 17, 2017, 04:53:10 PM
souls game are overrated and not as hard as the fanbase makes it out to be

i mean that second point is pretty obvious to everyone who isn't terrible at games

YPrrrr

dodge roll dodge roll dodge roll

TooB

Or at least is capable of learning patterns

Thyme

today i was reminded that i'm terrible at games 5thgrade;

Samus Aran

its ok thyme we know you still haven't beaten flamelurker

Thyme

wawi

Quote from: Shinobu Oshino on May 17, 2017, 04:59:58 PM

i mean that second point is pretty obvious to everyone who isn't terrible at games

yeah i guess its not that unpopular depending on the community

Kalahari Inkantation

May 17, 2017, 09:24:50 PM #187 Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:42:28 PM by Majorana's Mask
souls game are overrated

eeehhh

i see where you're coming from with this, but if indeed they are overrated then it's only very slightly

not as hard as the fanbase makes it out to be

of course, this is absolutely true, and i would say it's a popular opinion among the fraction of souls fans who aren't delusional

unfortunately, they are only a fraction

you're right in that there's a big moronic circlejerk about how dark souls is le hardest game ever, but the sorts of suckers who make that outrageous claim are desperate, insecure nerds who define their self-worth in life by their performance in video games, and are bragging by proxy when they claim a game they successfully finished is the hardest of all time

Kalahari Inkantation

May 17, 2017, 09:29:13 PM #188 Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:43:49 PM by Majorana's Mask
Quote from: Thyme on May 17, 2017, 06:06:19 PM
legitimately, at least :(

he's honestly not too hard so long as you don't let him intimidate you

the common strategy of hiding in a corner and taking opportunistic shots at him leaves the player much more vulnerable than they need to be

i made that very same mistake in my first playthrough and it took me quite a while to beat him using that method

but as i learned in my second playthrough, if you just rush him and behave as aggressively as he does, he staggers a lot and goes down rather quickly lol

[spoiler=unpopular opinion]Now Armor Spider is a truly hard boss. smithicide;[/spoiler]

Kalahari Inkantation

[spoiler=unpopular opinion that should be more popular because it's actually more of a Fact™]

the true "hardest" games are relics of the 80s and early 90s, with gameplay optimized for maximal total playtime rather than fun

which is why truly "hard" games are such a rarity in this day and age - nes/snes-era "hard" game design tends not to actually yield much fun lol[/spoiler]

YPrrrr

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on May 17, 2017, 10:42:58 PM
[spoiler=unpopular opinion that should be more popular because it's actually more of a Factâ,,˘]

the true "hardest" games are relics of the 80s and early 90s, with gameplay optimized for maximal total playtime rather than fun

which is why truly "hard" games are such a rarity in this day and age - nes/snes-era "hard" game design tends not to actually yield much fun lol[/spoiler]
Especially the ones without saves or password systems and a limited number of lives

TooB

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Big Goop on May 17, 2017, 04:19:38 PM
You know, after playing Zelda more, I hate to say it, but botw is en route to becoming my least favorite zelda title.

Now THIS is an opinion I don't want to hear. >.<

could you provide an utmost generic, sanitized, spoiler-free explanation of why you are beginning to feel this way

as it's a zelda game, i'm pretty sure i already know the answer, but i just want to make sure

TooB

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on May 18, 2017, 10:52:18 AM
Quote from: Big Goop on May 17, 2017, 04:19:38 PM
You know, after playing Zelda more, I hate to say it, but botw is en route to becoming my least favorite zelda title.

Now THIS is an opinion I don't want to hear. >.<

could you provide an utmost generic, sanitized, spoiler-free explanation of why you are beginning to feel this way

as it's a zelda game, i'm pretty sure i already know the answer, but i just want to make sure
I can try

[spoiler]1. I'm not a fan of the breakable weapons. I know you constantly get more, but there's an inherent problem with relying on picking up weapons as you go; you can't settle on one combat type. You have to be comfortable with using swords, boomerangs (which suck), giant two-handers, spears, etc. Maybe I just wanna use a sword dangit.

2. The open world is a bit TOO big. It seems weird to complain about this, but it's an issue for me. Mainly because exploration, mostly just getting around, is not all that fun to me. Navigating the map usually boils down to, find a tall cliff you can jump off to paraglide around with. And don't get me started with climbing cliffsides and the FUCKING RAIN!!!

3. Speaking of climbing, it's too slow. This is more a nitpick than a genuine complaint though.

4. This is probably the biggest thing personally; there's like, no damn story in this game. It's all pretty much optional if you want something, but even then, it's not even very interesting. I know most Zelda games have little, or simple plots, but they were usually enough to carry me along. This game isn't doing that for me.

5.I feel that it relies too much on the "survival elements" to remain compelling. Like, to try to keep you immersed in the world.

6. This point is a little more vague, but it simply does not feel like a Zelda game. I can't fully explain easily what I mean, but when I pick up a Zelda title, there is a certain feel that I expect, and I don't get it here.

7. After doing a couple Divine Beasts, I'm kinda sad that there's no "real" dungeon (yet) in the game. Even the divine beasts just feel like a shrine, just.... a bit bigger. They're more complex, sure, but they're over pretty quickly.

Basically, in summary, I still think it's a good game, but I don't like it as a "Zelda" game [/spoiler]

I'd still recommend you play it though, as I am most definitely in the minority here.

strongbad

unpopular vidya opinion:
i like the videogames

Go Up