March 28, 2024, 01:57:01 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Unpopular Opinions: Vidya Game Edition

Started by Commander Fuckass, June 26, 2014, 07:55:17 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Boyah 2: This Thyme It’s Personal on July 15, 2014, 09:36:23 PM
Quote from: Tectron on July 15, 2014, 09:32:54 PM
locations might be "new" technically but feel stale because it's obvious that the same limited assets being recycled

^^ the problem plaguing all games with randomly-generated stages

[spoiler]hell even some games with pre-made dungeons and caves like skyrim goowan [/spoiler]

lol

those might as well be procedurally generated considering devs can only either optimize for quality or quantity, and bethesda opts for quantity

don't let's

They procedurally generated a lot of Oblivion's stuff

Kalahari Inkantation

not to mention [glow=black,2,300]daggerfall[/glow] myface;

don't let's

silvertone

Quote from: Tectron on July 15, 2014, 09:39:40 PM
and no matter how many assets and variables they pack into no man's sky they'll only be delaying the inevitable

at some point, it'll run into the very same problem with its procedurally generated content feeling increasingly banal over time
damn wow, after playing a game for a long time it will eventually become.... BORING?????

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: cybermancer on July 15, 2014, 10:43:50 PM
Quote from: Tectron on July 15, 2014, 09:39:40 PM
and no matter how many assets and variables they pack into no man's sky they'll only be delaying the inevitable

at some point, it'll run into the very same problem with its procedurally generated content feeling increasingly banal over time
damn wow, after playing a game for a long time it will eventually become.... BORING?????

wat

i never argued that that was a flaw unique to randomly generated content

i was just countering this

Quote from: udderfailure on July 15, 2014, 04:07:41 PM
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on July 15, 2014, 04:05:26 PM
randomly generated levels are GAAAAAAAAAY

no way dude
game mechanics of the future

i think they are great because if the game mechanics are good you can play them forever

Kalahari Inkantation

[spoiler=not necessarily unpopular but probably contestable game opinion, also tl;dr]

the metroid games (or at least the 2d ones) would be virtually flawless if not for the arbitrary scattering of valuable item upgrades about the map, which imo interferes with otherwise fantastic pacing

i was wary of first playing super metroid because i feared that frequent 'backtracking' would be an ever-present turnoff for me

i actually ended up finding the backtracking element to be non-invasive and extremely efficiently implemented to the point at which i would hardly refer to it as backtracking at all, and now i believe that the fact that the games aren't strictly linear adds to the sense of satisfaction one derives from gradual progression through exploration and discovery

but oh my god, the random placement of important but non-essential items

maybe it's just me and i suck at video games, but in order for a novice player to collect enough missile/super missile/power bomb/energy tank/etc. upgrades to be comfortable with actually moving forward, it's necessary that the player either:

1. shoot at/bomb absolutely every cell on the grid
2. consult a guide

both of which hinder the pacing of otherwise astoundingly well designed games

this is also one of a few big issues i had with skyward sword too, though it's even more extreme in that game thanks to the fact that one both has to discover and activate a goddess cube on the ground and then go wasting precious minutes searching around for it in the boring and utterly pointless sky

skyward sword would be vastly improved were it not for that

i know that arbitrary distribution of important but non-essential items is pretty much a staple of gaming at this point, especially metroid, so i don't actually expect that to change anytime soon lol

but i do wish the process of obtaining those sorts of things were less arduous, as it's generally the low point of any game for me[/spoiler]

YPrrrr

Kalahari Inkantation

[spoiler]

i screamed

which have you played[/spoiler]

YPrrrr

Quote from: Tectron on July 18, 2014, 01:01:05 AM
[spoiler]

i screamed

which have you played[/spoiler]
Prime Prime 2

Idk a couple of the gba ones but i don't remember the names

Kalahari Inkantation

prime 2 is probably the worst you could start with lol myface;

But if even the GBA ones failed to impress you, I'm not sure it matters. wry

YPrrrr

Quote from: Tectron on July 18, 2014, 01:19:19 AM
prime 2 is probably the worst you could start with lol myface;

But if even the GBA ones failed to impress you, I'm not sure it matters. wry
idk for the gba ones it is mostly the retracking. It drives me insane. I dislike castlevania for the same reason. AlthoughiI could see myself potentially liking castlevania if i really tried hard to track the map. Metroid i'm not so sure about

Samus Aran

Quote from: YPR Classic on July 18, 2014, 12:51:06 AM
[spoiler]metroid sucks awdood;[/spoiler]

this thread is for unpopular game opinions, not ones that are just plain wrong

YPrrrr

Quote from: Platinum the Trinity on July 18, 2014, 02:00:28 AM
Quote from: YPR Classic on July 18, 2014, 12:51:06 AM
[spoiler]metroid sucks awdood;[/spoiler]

this thread is for unpopular game opinions, not ones that are just plain wrong
i like to think that post somehow woke you from your sleep in a cold sweat n_u

But yeah. Backtracking. Really annoying. Not for YPR.

Kalahari Inkantation

backtracking in the primes is definitely excessive

but it's virtually a non-problem in the 2d games imo lol

Go Up