What do I fuckin do with this unenclosed Seagate 1TB ext drive

Started by Samus Aran, April 11, 2014, 10:45:27 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

The other day, my 1TB Seagate external drive stopped working. It appeared to be a power issue, due to the error OS X was giving me, so I just ordered a different cable, but then I later discovered that the cable was not the problem: the port on the drive itself was broken somehow. It pretty much just fell out. I had no idea how to put it back on, and I figured it was pretty well impossible to do with the drive still its enclosure anyway, so I took it out of said enclosure.

The pins on the dislodged port as well as the contacts on the circuitboard sticking out the top end of the drive are still fine. The drive works if i manually hold the two together. But as far as I can tell, I can't get the port back on the board and have it stay in place.

I really know nothing about this stuff, so my question is...what do I do with this thing? To keep using it as an external, I mean. I only have this Macbook (the old plastic one) at the moment so I can't use it internally. Do I buy a different enclosure? And, like, do I take off the circuitboard that's currently sticking out the end of the drive off? That's not part of the drive itself, is it? How does this thing go into a different enclosure?

Kalahari Inkantation

if within the enclosure is just a standard sata drive (which it should be), you can ditch every component that isn't a part of the drive itself and place it into a new enclosure

that circuit board sticking out of it is probably removable, and a new enclosure is like ~$10 on amzn

Samus Aran

the circuitboard is indeed removable, it's not part of the drive. i thought it was stuck on there really good but it's not actually lol

as far as i can tell, this is exactly what it is:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ST1000LM024

so i guess i can indeed just go ahead and buy a simple cheap new enclosure happydood;

the seagate one sucked anyway, it was cheap plastic and obviously the port was faulty as hell considering that cord honestly never fit as firmly as it should

Kalahari Inkantation

although, if you plan to continue using it externally, you'll actually probably want to spend a bit more than $10 on a decent permanent enclosure lol

those in the ~$10 range tend to be rickety temporary solutions primarily meant for transferring purposes

Samus Aran

hmm, well i wonder if anyone has any particular suggestions for manufacturers to go with for 2.5" sata enclosures???

almost everything i'm seeing on amazon is less than $20, and most of the best-rated ones seem to be made from aluminum

Kalahari Inkantation

Go Up