April 19, 2024, 02:13:46 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Boyah's Weekly Activity Booster. Brought to you by: Lawlz™

Started by ncba93ivyase, April 03, 2014, 07:41:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

TooB

Geno

I actually knew someone who refused to watch movie trailers because he didn't want the corporations manipulating him into watching their movie.

I mean come on.
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

TooB

Quote from: Geno on April 04, 2014, 11:23:51 AM
I actually knew someone who refused to watch movie trailers because he didn't want the corporations manipulating him into watching their movie.

I mean come on.
was it lawlz?

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Geno on April 04, 2014, 10:46:10 AM
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 12:00:51 AM
Quote from: Geno on April 03, 2014, 11:55:49 PM
Again, you're dodging the question I'm asking. Why is any of that a problem? If the fact that you recognize a business name bothers you so much, then I honestly don't know what to tell you. It's how the business world has always worked and there's nothing you can do about it. Getting upset over it is just a waste of time and energy.
i just told you why it's a fucking problem

it's corrupted people to the point that they bend over backwards to defend ads and think the concept of not wanting to have 24/7 exposure to ads is "absurd" and requires justification akudood;

it's the same fucking issue with people objecting to 24/7 surveillance and people saying "WELL YOU HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE RIGHT"

And no, business has not always involved shoving ads into your home and into goods and services that you already paid for. I don't want to slice open a tomato just to see a coupon to mcdonald's inside. I just want a fucking tomato and nothing else.

When I buy an OS, I just want the fucking OS. If I want other apps, I'll seek them out.
You keep going back to how this affects other people, and I'm asking how this affects YOU. Most people are fucking idiots. There's nothing you can change about that. Yes, they're going to be manipulated by companies like Microsoft, but that's entirely because they don't have enough intelligence to realize what's going on. The big corporations realized they could profit off all these stupid people, and that's exactly what they're doing with all these ads. It's their own fault for being so oblivious.

But for people like you and me who can see through the greedy bullshit, it doesn't really affect us. So why get so bothered over it? It's a little bit frustrating, but it's just something you gotta deal with man. They're not going to stop doing it until people stop being morons.
hey shithead

I'm not the only person on earth

Stupid decisions by other people affect me

If everyone but me says ads everywhere are good, guess who will be increasingly subjected to ads

Me

Think things the fuck through
Quote from: PLEASEHELP1991 on April 04, 2014, 11:17:13 AM
Quote from: Project Lunchbox F on April 04, 2014, 10:54:10 AM
Where can i get lawlzs tinfoil hat from?
libertarianism
libertarians see ads everywhere as business freedom

Marx sees it as an abuse of power by the bourgeoisie

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: PLEASEHELP1991 on April 04, 2014, 11:19:29 AM
Why does cable television have commercials?
because nobody cancels their service

The ad to show ratio actually has been increasing

And really would you fuckers pay to see a movie if ads popped up on the bottom of the screen or there were 30 second interruptions every scene change

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

ncba93ivyase

also geno i didn't fully read your post earlier because i just read the first sentence and stopped because it was retarded enough

but
QuoteIt's a little bit frustrating, but it's just something you gotta deal with man. They're not going to stop doing it until people stop being morons.

no

i do not have to deal with it

i can (at the moment) choose operating systems without ads shoved in

i can complain on the internet and say that it's a problem

you say you "see through the greedy bullshit", but you turn around and fucking defend ads everywhere as a fact of life.

no

it's not something you have to deal with

here are easy things you can do:
1: not use the product (becomes ineffective if every idiot just accepts it because "that's the way it is")
2: complain

people complained about windows 8's lack of a start menu. people refused to upgrade due to that fact. you know what happened? microsoft put it back in.

very, very few people honestly enjoy ads. most people simply put up with them. the most brainwashed and absolutely asinine people go out of their way to say people who think that ever-encroaching ads are a problem are dumb or somehow need to justify their opinion.

seriously, justify the ads beyond "you might be interested in it!!!!" adding ads does not lower the cost of the service. if that were true, cable tv would be free. if the service is free and is funded by ads, that's understandable, but microsoft's products are not free. you pay for them and you're still getting ads. if you think i'm a "tinfoil hatter", tell me how. i'm saying ads are being plastered in more places and to no benefit to us. they're in our mailboxes, they're on tv, they're on websites, they're on the radio, they're on clothing, they're in games, they're in schools, and they're being tested in operating systems. if we just shut down and say "yeah whatever nothing you can do", then yes, you'll end up with ads. ads in operating systems are not yet a major trend.

the corporations realize they can profit off dumbasses like you. they want to make you think you're somehow immune to them because it gives you this bullshit sense of superiority with which you talk down to people who realize that we don't need to take this shit. just because you wrongly think you're superior and ads don't affect you doesn't mean other people need to be subjected to them. a person with a decent head on their shoulders doesn't just see the problems the world presents for them, but the problems the world presents to everyone.

fuck, captchas are even being replaced with video ads. should we really have to watch a 15 second video featuring "relevant content" just to get 2 words to type in in order to prove we're human?

ads aren't going to stop so long as retards think they're above them, and honestly, you're not going to find anybody who says, "Yeah, i'm a frequent victim of advertising. i can't resist buying all the dumb shit that's thrown in my face." every single goddamn person here thinks they're immune. hell, go to the dumbest community on earth and you'll find 5.6 million redditors saying ads are dumb and pointless because they're unaffected.

don't let's

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 05:38:41 PM
you pay for them and you're still getting ads.
Why is that somehow taboo? Or what exactly is wrong with that?

Though in any case, this is literally a non issue in Windows 8 in regards to the app store since if you turn off the live tile it just turns into a static icon and doesn't showcase any apps or app recommendations on it anymore. And/or you can unpin the app store and not even see that icon at all except for in the all apps section. Or if you resize it to small it'll only show the app store icon on it.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: … on April 04, 2014, 08:15:56 PM

Though in any case, this is literally a non issue in Windows 8 in regards to the app store since if you turn off the live tile it just turns into a static icon and doesn't showcase any apps or app recommendations on it anymore. And/or you can unpin the app store and not even see that icon at all except for in the all apps section. Or if you resize it to small it'll only show the app store icon on it.
how about this: if you charge full price for the product, it's yours. you keep it. that's it.

or you can pass the savings onto the consumer and use a modest amount of ads to reduce the cost of the product.

let's use games as an example.

games like super mario galaxy take millions to develop and have big teams. those games cost $60. while expensive, the development process is expensive and gaming is a relatively niche market, so the high cost is justifiable. you also get to enjoy a game that's simply a game and you're not interrupted or in any way have your immersion broken with ads.

now let's assume EA isn't an awful company (wow i wonder why they have a bad reputation MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE THEY MILK THEIR CONSUMERS FOR ALL  THEY'RE WORTH) and that their madden budget is equal to super mario galaxy's. instead of charging $60 for the same game every year, they decide to be reasonable and make it cheaping. they put streaming ads on the billboards in the game. maybe when you're waiting for an online match to start they might play a 30 second ad. is charging $60 for something like this reasonable? hell no. is charging $30 for something like this? sure. they put in ads and the consumer manages to save money, but at the same time ea doesn't lose anything. they might even end up making the equivalent of $100+ per game due to the advertisements.

now if you're not aware, this doesn't happen. games cost $60 no matter what and cable tv ranges from $60-300/month and 40% of all air time is commercials. the growth of reality tv means shows have smaller and smaller budgets, meaning bigger and bigger profits. reality tv is also a means in which ads can be seamlessly integrated within the program (guy drinking a coke while giving a fake rant, heated fake argument between two people with falsely censored massive nike logos on their shirts, etc) only boosting their profits further. it's endless advertising. sure, they have the right to profit, but it's at the point where it costs them nothing. the people who do the sound and artwork don't get paid nearly as much as the person who okayed the show to be aired even though they're doing the work. the profits move up the ladder and not to the actual workers.

so while many americans pay around $120 for cable (i'm assuming this is average since this is what my parents pay and they don't even have hbo and shit), you get basically nothing out of it. netflix is i think $8 a month and you don't get any third party content shoved down your throat--just a listing of shows they host and only when you're visiting their website. a movie ticket costs about $15 and it's an uninterrupted experience.  when you buy a book, the middle 10 pages aren't filled with coupons to restaurants and shoe stores you don't care about.

should this change?

i've seen zero justification for why this is good other than geno saying "lol i'm not dumb ads don't work on me!!!" which is akin to saying taxes shouldn't support social programs because you're wealthy enough that you can support yourself.

don't let's

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 08:56:43 PM
Quote from: … on April 04, 2014, 08:15:56 PM

how about this: if you charge full price for the product, it's yours. you keep it. that's it.

or you can pass the savings onto the consumer and use a modest amount of ads to reduce the cost of the product.

let's use games as an example.

games like super mario galaxy take millions to develop and have big teams. those games cost $60. while expensive, the development process is expensive and gaming is a relatively niche market, so the high cost is justifiable. you also get to enjoy a game that's simply a game and you're not interrupted or in any way have your immersion broken with ads.

now let's assume EA isn't an awful company (wow i wonder why they have a bad reputation MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE THEY MILK THEIR CONSUMERS FOR ALL  THEY'RE WORTH) and that their madden budget is equal to super mario galaxy's. instead of charging $60 for the same game every year, they decide to be reasonable and make it cheaping. they put streaming ads on the billboards in the game. maybe when you're waiting for an online match to start they might play a 30 second ad. is charging $60 for something like this reasonable? hell no. is charging $30 for something like this? sure. they put in ads and the consumer manages to save money, but at the same time ea doesn't lose anything. they might even end up making the equivalent of $100+ per game due to the advertisements.

now if you're not aware, this doesn't happen. games cost $60 no matter what and cable tv ranges from $60-300/month and 40% of all air time is commercials. the growth of reality tv means shows have smaller and smaller budgets, meaning bigger and bigger profits. reality tv is also a means in which ads can be seamlessly integrated within the program (guy drinking a coke while giving a fake rant, heated fake argument between two people with falsely censored massive nike logos on their shirts, etc) only boosting their profits further. it's endless advertising. sure, they have the right to profit, but it's at the point where it costs them nothing. the people who do the sound and artwork don't get paid nearly as much as the person who okayed the show to be aired even though they're doing the work. the profits move up the ladder and not to the actual workers.

so while many americans pay around $120 for cable (i'm assuming this is average since this is what my parents pay and they don't even have hbo and shit), you get basically nothing out of it. netflix is i think $8 a month and you don't get any third party content shoved down your throat--just a listing of shows they host and only when you're visiting their website. a movie ticket costs about $15 and it's an uninterrupted experience.  when you buy a book, the middle 10 pages aren't filled with coupons to restaurants and shoe stores you don't care about.

should this change?

i've seen zero justification for why this is good other than geno saying "lol i'm not dumb ads don't work on me!!!" which is akin to saying taxes shouldn't support social programs because you're wealthy enough that you can support yourself.
You didn't actually outright (or at all) say why it was taboo or wrong

ncba93ivyase

i've reiterated that numerous times if you actually read. it's the same reason people don't just take dumps on the streets. nobody wants to see that shit everywhere they go.

now  tell me why it's fine

don't let's

April 04, 2014, 09:48:07 PM #70 Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 09:51:13 PM by …
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 09:43:04 PM
i've reiterated that numerous times if you actually read.
I did read it. And it was just you going on some huge rant about how you don't like ads and trying to throw in different examples of some things kinda related about it instead of just actually stating outright why it's wrong or should be taboo to have ads in something that has a price.  And for another question, why do you automatically subscribe to that if you pay for something it should have no ads?

Quoteit's the same reason people don't just take dumps on the streets. nobody wants to see that shit everywhere they go.

That' still doesn't mean it's wrong in the case of ads though as those two aren't entirely comparable in all aspects.

Quotenow  tell me why it's fine

Actually it could just be existing neither fine or wrong. It just exists as it is. (For all I care anyway.)

But the thing is that you keep going in on the tirades about how wrong it is to have ads in a paid for product but without actually going into why it's wrong or why you think it's wrong. (other than, "oh, everybody hates ads")

ncba93ivyase

tell me why it's fine

don't let's

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 09:49:07 PM

tell me why it's fine

check my edit for your last line and still no you didn't for that first line. (You might have tried, but you didn't actually succeed)  But I guess nice try at a deflection? Maybe?

ncba93ivyase

and really i already said why paying for a product and still receiving ads is wrong

it benefits no one relevant to either production or consumption of the artistic content

read

Go Up