April 16, 2024, 03:46:28 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Boyah's Weekly Activity Booster. Brought to you by: Lawlz™

Started by ncba93ivyase, April 03, 2014, 07:41:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

silvertone

Do What I do and Be Eternally Apathetic. it helped in high school

ncba93ivyase

geno the fucking point is that while i may resist 99% of the ads i'm subjected to we're all subconsciously victims of them

everybody thinks they're immune to ads, yet billions upon billions of dollars are pumped into them. do you ever wonder why that is

i mean fuck, this whole fucking thread is full of people saying it's not a bad thing. if you don't see the problem here, then you're retarded.

also fyi ads don't make you go out and buy things (generally). they simply make you aware of a product or service. whenever you decide to buy a product or service, you opt for the one you were at some point exposed to.

e.g. you've never seen a direct commercial for sriracha, but i can assume that at some point a large number of boyagers have purchased it. we craved a hot sauce and thought "man that seems like it'd be good" and so we bought huy fong â,,¢ brand sriracha â,,¢ one day we craved something a little spicy and something in the back of our mind provoked us to look in its direction. why choose sriracha over the other 29038209 brands?

because we came across a mention of it on the internet.

or someday your bathtub is overflowing and spilling out onto the floor. 6 months ago you went by a billboard advertising some plumbers but you thought nothing of it. that night you open the yellow pages and skim through the list of plumbers and your finger stops on a random name. you think it's random and just call it to see what their rates are. they seem decent. you get them to fix your tub.

some part of your mind recognized that name

ads don't need to be on fucking everything. why not just plaster our socks and pants and glasses and wedding rings with App Of The Week ads. these are things we have to use everyday but most people don't want this shit plastered on them or thrown in their face at inappropriate times.

why the fuck do you want it thrown in your face when you're playing a game you paid $60 for or an os that costs $200. you already paid for the product. those ads don't "enhance" your experience--they steadily take over it and then someday you yearn for the times before you could open a fucking file without watching a 30 second ad

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Geno

Again, you're dodging the question I'm asking. Why is any of that a problem? If the fact that you recognize a business name bothers you so much, then I honestly don't know what to tell you. It's how the business world has always worked and there's nothing you can do about it. Getting upset over it is just a waste of time and energy.
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Geno on April 03, 2014, 11:55:49 PM
Again, you're dodging the question I'm asking. Why is any of that a problem? If the fact that you recognize a business name bothers you so much, then I honestly don't know what to tell you. It's how the business world has always worked and there's nothing you can do about it. Getting upset over it is just a waste of time and energy.
i just told you why it's a fucking problem

it's corrupted people to the point that they bend over backwards to defend ads and think the concept of not wanting to have 24/7 exposure to ads is "absurd" and requires justification akudood;

it's the same fucking issue with people objecting to 24/7 surveillance and people saying "WELL YOU HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE RIGHT"

And no, business has not always involved shoving ads into your home and into goods and services that you already paid for. I don't want to slice open a tomato just to see a coupon to mcdonald's inside. I just want a fucking tomato and nothing else.

When I buy an OS, I just want the fucking OS. If I want other apps, I'll seek them out.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Kalahari Inkantation

i hope snorkel reenables ads on boyah soon

don't let's

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 12:00:51 AM

it's corrupted people to the point that they bend over backwards to defend ads and think the concept of not wanting to have 24/7 exposure to ads is "absurd" and requires justification akudood;

it's the same fucking issue with people objecting to 24/7 surveillance and people saying "WELL YOU HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE RIGHT"

And no, business has not always involved shoving ads into your home and into goods and services that you already paid for. I don't want to slice open a tomato just to see a coupon to mcdonald's inside. I just want a fucking tomato and nothing else.

When I buy an OS, I just want the fucking OS. If I want other apps, I'll seek them out.
Apps are now part of windows OS by default starting with 8. When you buy 8 you have apps too.

QuoteAnd no, business has not always involved shoving ads into your home and into goods and services that you already paid for. I don't want to slice open a tomato just to see a coupon to mcdonald's inside. I just want a fucking tomato and nothing else.
Because most of them have already tricked you into paying for their service., that's why most of them have no ads as an incentive for you to buy the paid version or subscription. They'll make more money off of your subscription than off of just ads.

But that doesn't mean that paying for something inherently means no ads. That "no ads" thing is just another ploy and marketing scheme. And I guess when you get down to it, it's also an ad for whatever service or product they're trying to sell, and we've been spoon fed the "pay for no ads" thing (they're actually making us pay for no ads) for so long that we jump at the chance for it. And people have been basically brainwashed now (obviously) into expecting or thinking that paying = no ads automatically.

don't let's

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 03, 2014, 09:58:30 PM
and they still haven't included features that competing oses have had since 2003 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_Control_(OS_X) )

akudood;

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_Control_%28OS_X%29#Similar_applicationsMicrosoft Windows Vista as well as 7 provides a feature called Windows Flip 3D, which has a broadly similar purpose. Flip 3D allows a user to flip through all open windows in a manner similar to how the application switcher works (alt+tab). A downside to this method is that the frontmost window covers a significant portion of the other windows, unlike Exposé. On the other hand, this allows the user to see the contents of the frontmost window, while this can be difficult in Exposé, especially if the user has a large number of windows open

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_Vista#Windows_Flip_and_Flip_3D

Which admittedly is a little different but is apparently similar according to the link you provided. (Though I guess it's even more toned down in Windows 8.)

ncba93ivyase

If "no ads" is a marketing scheme, then you know your entire corporation needs a bullet to the head more than a business strategy.

don't let's

Well just think about how many places and things out here that use that as an incentive or the main incentive

Daddy

April 04, 2014, 08:33:24 AM #54 Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:37:00 AM by Khadafi
lol that start menu is fug

8's good changes:

-Explorer has some nice additions. For example you get the transfer rate of files between disks or on the same disk so you know how fast something is happening. A graph is included.  This helps a lot to tell if it's hanging on a file or if something is just really huge.

-Task Manager has a better interface with much more detailed breakdowns of network activity, disk activity, cpu, and ram activity.

Shit:

-GODDAMN TILES

good/bad depending on if you like it:
-If your PC isn't a tablet but you RDP into your desktop using a tablet you can take advantage of the touch features.   This is only really a benefit if you're using a tablet because RDP kind of sucks on 7 with a tablet.  Using it as a tablet OS in this case actually works well.

Geno

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 12:00:51 AM

You keep going back to how this affects other people, and I'm asking how this affects YOU. Most people are fucking idiots. There's nothing you can change about that. Yes, they're going to be manipulated by companies like Microsoft, but that's entirely because they don't have enough intelligence to realize what's going on. The big corporations realized they could profit off all these stupid people, and that's exactly what they're doing with all these ads. It's their own fault for being so oblivious.

But for people like you and me who can see through the greedy bullshit, it doesn't really affect us. So why get so bothered over it? It's a little bit frustrating, but it's just something you gotta deal with man. They're not going to stop doing it until people stop being morons.
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

TooB

Where can i get lawlzs tinfoil hat from?

PLEASEHELP1991

I love [you]

PLEASEHELP1991

Why does cable television have commercials?
I love [you]

TooB

Go Up