April 27, 2024, 02:10:09 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Boyah's Weekly Activity Booster. Brought to you by: Lawlz™

Started by ncba93ivyase, April 03, 2014, 07:41:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

ncba93ivyase

aesthetically yes windows 8 is nice

but it ends there. usability kills it.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Classic

6M69I69B9

ā€œIf you have enemies, good
that means you stood up for something.ā€

ā€• Eminem
Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

silvertone

Quote from: TLL7-MIB-7LLT on April 03, 2014, 10:14:11 PM

ā€• Eminem
hitler had a lot of enemies

6M69I69B9

Quote from: cybermancer on April 03, 2014, 10:14:44 PM
Quote from: TLL7-MIB-7LLT on April 03, 2014, 10:14:11 PM

ā€• Eminem
hitler had a lot of enemies
so did jews
so do jews
Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

Geno

I've never understood why people get so upset over unobtrusive ads. If they're in the way, sure, go ahead and be pissed. But when they're barely noticeable, what's the big deal? It took me awhile to even find the ad in that screenshot.
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Geno on April 03, 2014, 10:18:38 PM
I've never understood why people get so upset over unobtrusive ads. If they're in the way, sure, go ahead and be pissed. But when they're barely noticeable, what's the big deal? It took me awhile to even find the ad in that screenshot.
subtle advertising is the worst because you don't realize it's an ad and because it's so fucking effective

when an ad is blatant we can dismiss it as retarded and annoying. when a character in a movie grabs a soda mid-conversation, takes a swig, and sets it down without ever acknowledging it as anything important, you're not even aware it's an ad

and then next time you're out of your house and getting a little bit sweaty, you think about how you haven't had a soda in a while

ads are fucking everywhere and i'm sick of it. they should not be plastered in an os and saying "yeah you can disable it" doesn't justify it. at some point, it'll be unavoidable.

hell, you pay for fucking xbox live and they still shove dr pepper ads in your face.

if you think this won't make its way into every os, just remember: you're not complaining. why wouldn't they if nobody cares?

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

what am i but an advertisement for a version of myself

bluaki

Windows 8.1v2 does a lot to make the metro side more usable by giving it stuff like the task bar and title bar

It still does have a lot of usability problems.

Anyway, I can see why it's justified to complain about Microsoft including a store app by default in Windows, requiring a Live account to install even free software from it, and not feasibly allowing third parties to make their own stores/repositories. But, given that the app is installed, I don't get why you'd complain about it having a live tile that displays relevant content and can be removed like everything else. Besides, this isn't even anything new, as the live tile displayed the same way on the start screens earlier versions of Windows 8.

Don't the "upgrade your version of Windows" buttons/links that have existed forever in various dialog prompts also count as ads? They've been around way before Win8.

ncba93ivyase

Hiro

Quote from: bluaki on April 03, 2014, 10:35:04 PM
Windows 8.1v2 does a lot to make the metro side more usable by giving it stuff like the task bar and title bar
those are fucking horrible ideas which are going to make it even more of a mess

Geno

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 03, 2014, 10:26:38 PM
subtle advertising is the worst because you don't realize it's an ad and because it's so fucking effective

when an ad is blatant we can dismiss it as retarded and annoying. when a character in a movie grabs a soda mid-conversation, takes a swig, and sets it down without ever acknowledging it as anything important, you're not even aware it's an ad

and then next time you're out of your house and getting a little bit sweaty, you think about how you haven't had a soda in a while

ads are fucking everywhere and i'm sick of it. they should not be plastered in an os and saying "yeah you can disable it" doesn't justify it. at some point, it'll be unavoidable.

hell, you pay for fucking xbox live and they still shove dr pepper ads in your face.

if you think this won't make its way into every os, just remember: you're not complaining. why wouldn't they if nobody cares?
You didn't really answer my question. WHY do they bother you? Why do you care if an advertisement is trying to sell something? It's not like you see an advertisement for Pepsi and immediately think "Oh god dammit now I have to buy a Pepsi now!". Ads are absolutely harmless, and at the most slightly annoying. There's not really a good reason to get so upset about them.
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

bluaki

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 03, 2014, 10:36:20 PM
Quote from: bluaki on April 03, 2014, 10:35:04 PMrelevant content
this term, boy

this term
What?

The way you normally would expect things to work is with email programs that show your emails, music playing programs that list your library, file managers listing just your own local files, etc.

Irrelevant content would be like a file-searching utility showing you Amazon ads (like Ubuntu/Unity does), having your view of useful information clouded with "UPDATE AVAILABLE" notifications, or struggling to find locally-installed programs because of an interface that's cluttered with suggested not-yet-installed programs. Or hiding the shutdown option inside a "settings" menu.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Geno on April 03, 2014, 10:45:46 PM

You didn't really answer my question. WHY do they bother you? Why do you care if an advertisement is trying to sell something? It's not like you see an advertisement for Pepsi and immediately think "Oh god dammit now I have to buy a Pepsi now!". Ads are absolutely harmless, and at the most slightly annoying. There's not really a good reason to get so upset about them.
i don't want to be a dickshit who feels the need to buy XYZ worthless product everyday. i don't want to be shopping for vegetables and walk by some soda and have a pavlovian response. i don't want to be surrounded by dumbasses who say, "YES, MICROSOFT, MAKE ME WANT TO GO IN DEBT AND BUY SHIT I DON'T NEED. MAKE ME DUMBER"
Quote from: bluaki on April 03, 2014, 11:00:47 PM
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 03, 2014, 10:36:20 PM
Quote from: bluaki on April 03, 2014, 10:35:04 PMrelevant content
this term, boy

this term
What?

The way you normally would expect things to work is with email programs that show your emails, music playing programs that list your library, file managers listing just your own local files, etc.

Irrelevant content would be like a file-searching utility showing you Amazon ads (like Ubuntu/Unity does), having your view of useful information clouded with "UPDATE AVAILABLE" notifications, or struggling to find locally-installed programs because of an interface that's cluttered with suggested not-yet-installed programs. Or hiding the shutdown option inside a "settings" menu.
fucking filter changed gi.rl to bo.y lol

i don't want shit fed to me at all

my problem is "relevant content" is a buzzword that means shit you DON'T want. buy any product from any service and it'll automatically sign you up for emails that give you "relevant content" on a weekly basis. just because i bought a video game doesn't mean i want to receive daily deals on diapers in my inbox. i don't want to have to opt out to your "relevant content." if i bought the fucking product, that's where your profits end. if your service is "free" and supported by ads, yes, that's fine since the company needs to make money somehow.

but if i've already fucking paid, don't ask for more. that's not how it works, and anybody who believes it should work that way needs a boot in the ass more than an ad in their face

Geno

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 03, 2014, 11:04:32 PM
Quote from: Geno on April 03, 2014, 10:45:46 PM

i don't want to be a dickshit who feels the need to buy XYZ worthless product everyday. i don't want to be shopping for vegetables and walk by some soda and have a pavlovian response. i don't want to be surrounded by dumbasses who say, "YES, MICROSOFT, MAKE ME WANT TO GO IN DEBT AND BUY SHIT I DON'T NEED. MAKE ME DUMBER"
...Then don't? Do you really lack that much self control that you just go out and buy everything advertised to you? Advertisements are everywhere. If you let them bother you this much then you're gonna have a bad time. Just do what I do and don't give a shit. I see an advertisement, and I move on. It's not hard.

Go Up